Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
300 miles into it.........

Wellll,
Everyone was so on, about the Montana pulling great. The winds here in central Kansas are...Stout, it pulls so much better than the Keystone Sprinter we had, I ran over no curbs or Honda's.
Stopped and aired up the Firestone air bags, took off the load from the truck's overloads. Just barely touching on the rear leaf.
She pulls wonderful! Sorry, repeating myself.
We pulled into Wakeney's KOA, pulled out the Anaconda, and started the main A/C unit, Hot Hot, so we tried to start the rear A/C, no dice. The breaker would not switch on. It was just like a dead short, but no amp surge. Bummer.
Pulled off the A/C cover and unhooked the wires, breaker still wouldn't set. Had to pull the cover off the breaker box, and move the wire to a spare I had in there-A/C!!
Montana's $2.50 breakers
Sue pulled the cat food out of the cabinet to the left of the Vacuum and right of the Fireplace and the cabinet floor fell about 5". Another Bummer.
The slide in the kitchen ripped the vinyl in a 12" tear....Yep, Bummer #3.
I know I made lots of Mod's, but I can say with a clear conscience that these things were not associated with my work. Good thing, I am guessing.
The sliding glass door is loose, on one panel on the bottom. You can just push it into the closet, have to look into that.
I am not terribly upset by the glitches, a little disappointed in Montana's quality control, but so far, Sue and I are absolutely Giddy.
I can see why so many of you travel like this, it's great! I talk the leg off the people pulling 5ers in the gas stations, we met a Montana owner here at the KOA, he was nice, he's bringing the wife over after they go to town for dinner, should get a commission from Montana, they will probably go for an '07.
Love this desk.
You all take care.
Ozz and Sue

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
So there you are..

I hope you are enjoying your run.
I just love pulling our rig down the road...

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to make the most out of that one year warranty.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Ozzie.
Good to hear from you. (Nice wave)
We are having such a good time, Sue is cooking some Burglers with Vidalias in them and a salad, a nice guy is bringing us some cold Miller light after his dinner in town, so...we are good to go!
I'll probably get parts from them if needed, and just do it myself if they will go for it.
(The vinyl floor and adjustment to the slide will be repaired by them.)
Take care, Ozzie.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Great post Ozz, keep it up. We had our share of bugs the first 3 or 4 trips out.
Gave me something to do while supper was cooking. Taking off for a 5 day shopping trip
tomorrow, (first time we will use the Monty since mid July). Maybe stop in at local early bird RV show
and see what all the fuss is about the 3400Rl.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Ozz,

Sounds fun so far, and we've all had those little glitches from time to time, the initial trip or two is where you really work the bugs out. If you're coming into CO on I-25 there is a Montana dealer in Longmont CO and I know you're going to Manitou and when you turn in Colorado Springs towards Manitou there is another Monty dealer on that road. I just mentioned, in case you need to pick up any parts.

Have fun, let me know if you need more information on either of those dealers.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ozz, great to hear that Sue and you are both enjoying the Montana. Sorry to hear of your little flaws but they are nothing you can't fix up quick. I was lucky and my first 6 week trip was flawless. Take care and keep having fun.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Ozz, just reading your post put a smile on my face. Your exhuberance is such joy to share. Sorry about the little things that are cropping up with your rig. We had a few, too, at first, but it didn't stop us or our enjoyment of the lifestyle. Keep on having fun!
Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Ozz and Sue, Glad you aren't letting the little things spoil your fun! Everything can be fixed, you of all people know that! Enjoy your maiden voyage and keep us posted!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I can feel your excitement when reading your post, It makes me anxious to make my first trip as well.
Not real sure I would have figured out the electrical thing though.
Keep on keeping on my brotha. Cant wait to read more.

Blue

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

Welcome to the birthing of a new Montana. I think eveyone has to have a few glitches in them when they first take them out so they can call them their own once things are fixed.

We had problems on our first and second trip out and one was the Montana's fault and the second was our fault.

I can report that our third trip out everything worked perfectly. I am sure that we will have some problems down the road, but figure if I am out camping it can be dealt with.

Happy trails to you and drive safely. When hubby let me pull the Monty it pulled like a dream

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Everything with exception of the slide tearing your floor seem minor, but yet again I am not one having to deal with it. We had few minor issues that I did myself to improve there workmanship but the slide ripping the vinyl floor is new one on me. Never heard of that here before or I just missed it, looks like it would have done it while you were at home as well, maybe traveling caused it to get out of adjustment. Hopefully they can get you fixed up OK. Be safe.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good Mornin!!
Thank you all for the nice words and thoughts. The first night sleeping in our home on wheels was difficult. Mostly all my fault, have to get used to another lifestyle. We ran the bedroom A/C to not only cool, but the White noise helped keep the highway and incoming RV park noise down. When the compressor kicked on, it woke me up. My wife's phone was on the counter, the battery got low, it beeped-woke me up. My phone was on the counter a hour or so later, it woke me up beeping. I turned them off, it was easy, I was awake. Then our little Sparky cat started meowing, his first trip away from home. Sue put him in a soft cage way behind the chairs at the back of the Monte.
Our new friends from Louisiana just left, they waved at me. Super people. I went over to see them last night after we checked in here at the KOA, they have a Montana, a few years old. They made a beer run for me last night after they went into town to eat dinner. They came over and visited with us when he brought my Miller Light. We will be greeting them on our Forum after they get home. Montana people are super. Raining cats and dogs here, better get checked out, so KOA doesn't impound our rig for overstaying.
Have a good one,
Ozz and Sue.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:26 AM   #13
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Ozz and Sue, Sounds like you are off to an adventurous start! Wish we could be out on the road, there's nothing like it. When we 1st got ours, the heater kicking on & off kept me waking up, but like everything, you get used to it after a little while and you won't even notice it. Although, last night the "sound" of the ceiling fan is really starting to get on my nerves. Looks like the lighting store is going to be our next place to visit for Monty things. Keep the posts coming, I love to read along and "go with you" on your trip!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #14
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Ozz and Sue, glad to hear you are having fun. Ozz, I don't believe there is anything that you can't fix, but when my rig comes in I will open and shut doors and run the sliders in and out several times while on the dealers lot. Our first night in our Montana was different also, the air conditioner fan was loud and our German Sheperd trying to get in between the bed and closet was a little distracting. Have a ball!
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz and Sue! So sorry about your floor

Sunshine to the West today and supposed to be nice for the weekend! Be extra careful coming down those 5-7% grades - "your not in Kansas anymore" . Those other little cars can get a little rude when passing.

Dee's RV is a Montana Dealer right on Rt 24 up to Woodland Park.

We are located on the West side of Colorado Springs, CO on state route 24, just 2.75 miles west of I-25. Exit I-25 at the route 24 exit (exit number is 141). Go west just under 2.5 miles and make a right onto 21st street. Make an immediate left onto Naegele Rd and go a quarter mile to Dee's RV on the right.

2330 Naegele Rd
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
719-634-7606
800-634-7601
Tues - Fri: 8:00 – 6:00 (CLOSED SUN-MON)
Sat: 9:00 – 4:00

Just in case you need parts or service.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #16
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Ozz,
Had the same problem with the new AC in the bedroom steve put in on Sunday. Now, after 4 nights I finally slept through the night and didn't notice it! You guys have fun... it's all one big adventure!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, how did the height on your hitch work out? Sounds like everything was minor except the vinyl floor. Glad you are having a great time.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz - Where you at now? or tonight?

Just curious if you're in snow? Saw it on the mountains this morning above 9,000 ft.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad, thanks for the Monte dealer info, I will assess my needs. Here in Manitou we were walking around in our T-shirts, pretty nice so far. Went up to the tool gate of Pikes Peak in Cascade by where I used to live, and it was still real nice. We are staying at Pikes Peak RV Park, real nice, small and quiet.
Lisa, we will do some rubbernecking for you, thanks for the nice post. I will try running the bedroom A/C on low speed, the 'White noise' will be better, it's cool here, no A/C needed! I'm waiting for out little fan to start making noise...Pete, it was funny, we must have had the kitchen slide in and out 10 times, it just happened this trip, I think it may have been the full,(and I mean FULL) freezer and refrigerator. Probably made the front end a little heavy and dug into the Vinyl. Our pets need some breaking in time as well, don't they?
Tara, I'm glad Steve got the A/C in, I had to fill all the many gaps around the inside cavity when I did mine, I used that Aluminum duct tape, sealed it real good. You guys watch that cheap breaker, mine quit on this trip, may be a good idea to get a single pole 20 amp replacement and have it handy. Thank you for the nice thoughts.
If any of you get to Manitou Springs, eat at the Loop Mexican place, been in business since 1908, supposed to be one of the very best in Colorado. At the foot of the Cog Railroad access road here. Yummy!
Take care, all.
Ozz and Sue

Old 09-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

I am a horrible sleeper when it comes to any type of noise. I have a small fan that I bought at WalMart that keeps out the traffic noise. At home we sleep with a ceiling fan over the bed year round. I also have a white noise machine that I take with us when we are staying at hotels or we are on a cruise ship. It sure helps out when you have a good nights sleep, especially if you are driving the next day.

Looking forward to you traveling posts. Sorry about the problems with your Montana, but I think I know a poster that is up to any of the Mr fixit problems.

Would love to know the campground names of where you are staying while traveling. It's great to know ahead of time who can handle the little bitty 3400 and who can't.

Happy travels to you.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote