Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2006, 04:24 AM   #1
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
WATER PRESSURE

Good Morning from Santa Cruz !!! We are experiencing a location with very poor water pressure, Is it OK to turn on the water pump and still be hooked up to shore water, our Montana Pump would provide much better pressure ( only getting about 20 PSI from the park )

Thanks

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Be sure there is water in your tank for the pump to pump. Different water source shore water vs. tank/pump.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Intersting question. I don't believe you can draw from both water sources at the same time as there is a valve that switches between the fresh water and onboard water.
I would like to hear from others about this system, but another way around this would be to fill your fresh water tank so you can use your pump.
One could almost benefit from an inline booster pump on the campground supply line...wonder if you could do that...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yes, good question, and we are with Ozzie on this, just fill the fresh water, use the pump, and forget the 20 PSI service. Gonna be watching this thread to see if there are other ways, always looking to learn something.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
When I have encountered low water pressure, I turn on the water pump and run both sources when I take a shower and it works just fine.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
No problem doing what you are asking about, as long as you have plenty of water in the fresh water tank...

I think you can use from both sources at the same time. A way to check would be to run the 20 PSi water from a faucet, then turn on the rig's pump. Notice the faucet output and rate of cycling of the rig's pump. Without changing anything else, shut off the city water from outside. If nothing changes, it means the Monty's pump was doing all the work, and you can't use both sources at the same time........if the rate of cycling or output from the faucet changes significantly, that means the city water AND the Monty's pump were working together; two simultaneous sources.

Just my take on the situation. I just love a design puzzlement...interesting to know the result..

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I run both sources when the shower is used. I cannot answer the question as to whether both sources are feeding a supply of water.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I do that often, same as I run my electric and gas heat sources for the hot water tank at the same time for faster recovery.

Both system supplies are isolated from each other by check valves which should allow both systems under pressure to flow through - but at what ratio I don't know. I should try Patodonn suggestion next time. For long term stays, I think I would agree with Ozz and just work off the fresh water tank and elimate the hose.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Ozz,

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a 'valve' that controls the source of the water - the city water line comes into the system 'after', or on the output side of the pump. So it shouldn't make any difference if you use both at the same time.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I don't know, but it seems to me you could run both at the same time, but only one would be supplying water. The valve is going to let either shore water in or on board water in...don't see how it could allow both sources to furnish water at the same time.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Each supply has a check valve - or one way spring loaded valve.

When using city water the pressure from the supply pushes open its check valve and allows flow into the system. Because the pump is not running, the tank/pump supply check valve is held closed by the line pressure. Otherwise your city water would backfeed through the pump and start filling your tank with no way to stop it.

When using pump/tank supply, the pump pressurizes and pushes open its check valve and allows tank flow into the system. Because there is no pressure on the city line, the city supply check valve is held closed by the line pressure. Otherwise the pump/tank suppy would backfeed into the city connection and pour out on the ground if no hose was hooked up.

When both supplies are pressurized, both checkvalves open and allow flow into the system. The real question is do they both contribute to the supply or will the higher pressure supply have sufficient pressure to push closed the other checkvalve. Most likely this is the case when nothing is flowing water, however I believe during any flow, both supplies will push open their checkvalves to feed the system at some unknown flow rate.

Brad
Old 09-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There is a point at which both sources share the same lines. There is just one cold and one hot water line at each faucet, in other words. I am not an engineer, but I would think whether the system used both sources or just one would depend on the available pressure.

I turn on the pump when I'm going outside to get us ready to break camp. On our prior Montana, I never heard the pump come on until after I shut off the city water supply. On this one I have noticed the pump is in play whenever there is a demand for water, even before I've shut off city water. I'm not sure why the two Montanas act differently. Maybe something to do with location of the city water connection and the water pump?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve - I wonder if your new central station for valving included a new vavle design? Maybe thats the difference.

Mine just has a plain old one way check screwed on the end of the pump, and another one at the city water connect where it ties into the rest of the system.

Brad
Old 09-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Another reason why I love this forum, you learn something all the time. I never knew you could use both to increase pressure, never even thought about it, I'll give it a try though next time we drag her out!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Almost time for winter medicine MAC . Frost tomorrow. Dory's out harvesting the garden.

Brad
Old 09-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Bah humbug!!

We just got the Monty back last weekend and mom is still recovering from pneumonia so we can't leave her alone this weekend. So maybe next weekend we can get out but that will be it. I have to take the fifth wheel out of this truck and get is sold too. Don't forget if you know anyone looking for an immaculate truck, even though it's a Chevrolet ()

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'll pass the word around MAC - wish your Mom well and hope she recovers soon.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
When the city water pressure is low and only when it is low.......

I have run both pumps in the past on several rigs with no problem.
Have plenty of water in the Holding tank and use the water pump when you want the extra pressure.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote