Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Air Compressor?

What are you using to air up your tires?

I found this compressor http://tinyurl.com/o84er it is 12v and says it can reach 150 psi. 12v is not a problem for me, I have a solar system installed capable with the inverter of using AC or 12v, but am wondering if something like this would be capable of reaching the 110psi and what problems from your experience I might find.

Thank you,

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Robbie
We have had several 12V compressors which all claimed they could reach 100-150 psi. Some did but it took a long, long time. Same with the battery operated. We finally bit the bullet and purchased a real compressor from Sears. We happened to choose a time when it was on sale. I added up all the money we have spent on various small compressors and it was more than the real compressor from Sears. It sits in the front basement area.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Parrothead,
Do you know the model number and the approximate cost of the one you purchased? I heard from someone that bought a Craftsman that supposedly it went to 150 psi that it would NOT get to their desired 120 psi because there was not enough volume in the tank for that large a tire. It would get close and then they would have to take the air valve off and get the tank volume all the way to the top again and then they could get to the desired pressure....confussing.

At this point, weight and square footage are a huge obstacle so I am trying to make the best decison without wasting money.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Why did they need 120? All our tires are 80. I'm not dressed yet (I'm retired remember) but when I do get dressed, I'll go look.
Happy trails.....................
Old 07-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi,
You might Google Viair.
I have the 450C, 12 volts, a real power house. I mounted it on my transmission brace under my truck with a storage tank. I use it for my Hadley air horns as well as on board air.
I have an air chuck on the rear bumper, just hook a hose to it and air up tires. The storage air tank is the key.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Okay, here is the Craftsman info. We didn't go with a larger, heavier one because we felt it was an overkill. Model 15310, 3 gallon, 1.5 HP, paid $59 normally 70-80. I can pick it up so it is not real heavy. Ed says it just takes a minute or two to fill the reserve tank if you use it all up. It also has a lot of neat attachments including a blower nozzle, Correction our dually tires are 65 not 80.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Parrothead, thanks, I can get that one for $89 if ordered online and picked up at the store. You are right, I need to go check to see how much air pressure I need. From reading in another forum, someone said they needed 110psi, so I might be shooting myself in the foot here if I only need 80 psi.

Ozz, that looks like a great setup, what size tank do you have, I see 2.5 and 5. Also, where do you find a price? I downloaded the pdf but there were no prices that I could find.

Thank you.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My Goodyear tires are 110 PSI cold pressure. These tires are made specifically for heavy trailering. Required me to bu high presssure rims rated at 110 also. Love the new tires!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Simonsrf,
The Viair site is probably informational only, I forget who I bought from, it was on the page's list when I Googled it.
If you notice, the Harbor Freight unit pulls twice the Amp's as the Viair.
It looks the same, but 2 years down the line......it wouldn't be the same.
I really struggled with tires, did much research, any 10 Ply tires except Montana's Chinaminese tires, will be truck tires in the 80 PSI range. They will be LT 235/85R16E I believe. The F tires will be 110 PSI tires, Montana, or any other maker of trailers will not want truck tires on their unit for many good reasons. Wish it wasn't so, but it is.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I spent 2 days in the Greater Kansas City Area talking to tire suppliers, that is the information I came away with.
Ozz
Old 07-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My tires in fact are G rated tires designed for 5th wheel application by Goodyearhttp://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

I also did much research into tires. I never realized the fact that when a tire is being pulled, like in towing our Monty's there are very different stresses as compared to the tires on the tow vehicle.

I have no stock in Goodyear but I really love these tires.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
What I have and use and Love by the way is some thing called a "power Tank"You don`t see to many people that use these why??To darn expensive.

But without question this is the MOST powerful protable air compressor on the market today.Its a fairly small tank(I keep mine in the front storage compartment)along with a 50 foot air hose.It fills with CO2.And fills FAST.I fill my Montana tires,truck tires,run air tools as well.It has a PSI of 200.One tank full will fill 39 Class A tires.Its probably more money then MOST would want to spend on a air compressor,but if you like to top off your tires in a matter of a few seconds this is the one to have.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:27 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

My tires in fact are G rated tires designed for 5th wheel application by Goodyearhttp://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

I also did much research into tires. I never realized the fact that when a tire is being pulled, like in towing our Monty's there are very different stresses as compared to the tires on the tow vehicle.

I have no stock in Goodyear but I really love these tires.
Yes, I found the F and G were both 110# tires, and would have required me to buy new rims, $$$$, I wish Montana would have come out with high pressure rims, so many people upgrade at their expense.
As much money as we spend for the Montana, hitches, all associated costs, where does it end?
I love mine and would never go back to the TT. Just expensive.
Ozz
Old 07-29-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

What I have and use and Love by the way is some thing called a "power Tank"You don`t see to many people that use these why??To darn expensive.

But without question this is the MOST powerful protable air compressor on the market today.Its a fairly small tank(I keep mine in the front storage compartment)along with a 50 foot air hose.It fills with CO2.And fills FAST.I fill my Montana tires,truck tires,run air tools as well.It has a PSI of 200.One tank full will fill 39 Class A tires.Its probably more money then MOST would want to spend on a air compressor,but if you like to top off your tires in a matter of a few seconds this is the one to have.
Harleyrider,
You are on the mark on that.
I carry Two 5# CO2 tanks on my service truck for blowing out drain lines and blowing off outdoor A/C condensers. They are nice, I have a gauge set that I have adapted for use with my air nail gun for portable use, as well as airing tires.
If any of you have a CO2 tank used in a beverage station, you can trade that in for Two small 5# tanks. (I have 5 of the small 5# tanks) You can get them at welders supply businesses.
You can also get dry nitrogen tanks.
Ozz