Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 AM   #41
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I would hope that Keystone/Montana does not want units all over the country with decals missing and or hanging off the sides.
When they do come off or become loose, I would hope they help correct the problem. If this is a common problem perhaps they need to re-evaluate the adhesives being used on the decals. I bought it with the decal on and I want them and expect them to stay on. There are certain issues that bugs me and this would be one of them.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #42
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Just to let everyone know that the decals they promised to send cam in yesterday from Keystone. They did come through like promised.Now I have to get with dealer about getting them installed.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #43
Montana_1876
Established Member

M.O.C. #1876
so far we have done nothing with our decals as our black water and gray water, shower tanks have been leaking. the tanks are leaking where the boss is welded to the tank, cleaned it up, sanded it off and wiped it off with acatone, then put ABS solvent cement on it. just trying to fuse the crack - ithas helped but not there yet, it is still leaking. Our unit is a 2001 5th wheel, 3255 RL. We have had more problems with this new one than we ever had with the 3 we had previously. We called the factory on the tanks, and were told to take it to a dealer.
Montana_1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:37 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think that all of these post on different problems reinforce the need for a GOOD aftermarket Warranty.We have been researching the After market Warranties for some time and that includes reading the contracts line by line, calling the companies checking BBB reports, and even letting an attorney give advise on exactly what the contract says. IMHO they are well worth the Money,and there are a few good one out there, We WILL be buying one for the New Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #45
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Broome101, That is great that Keystone sent them free of charge. So far we have had no problems with ours yet ...it is almost 1 year old. It would be nice if they used less decals on the RV's.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:30 AM   #46
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I have used the Aerospace 303 on all of my decals for the past two years. So far I have only had two corners start to peel, used a dab of super glue and they have been flat ever since. I was told that the 303 will help protect the decals from cracking, shrinking, and fading due to the sun and road grime. So far so good, just thought I would pass this info along.
Hey there~~
I also have used the 303 several times on mine over the past two years. Mine are peeling, shrinking & peeling like...well, UGLY. Have been for over 6 months.
Looks mighty trashy.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #47
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Our decals also look pretty bad on our 2002 3295RK. We contacted Keystone over a year ago about buying some decals to replace ours and were told we had to go through our dealer to get them. Our dealer is about 3 hours away and we still haven't been able to do anything about the decals and they just keep getting worse. If Keystone is addressing the issue of cracked and peeling decals, put us on the list.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #48
Montana_5390

M.O.C. #5390
I have a really bad peeling problem on the sides of my 2001 3255RL. Went to the dealer to see about replacement decals for the ones that are peeling. He checked and Montana could not provide replacement decals for models older than 2003. A complete set of these would cost about $500 to purchase plus labor to replace them. Even then, the outline of the original decals could not be completely removed.

I don't know which way to turn next. I have worked very hard to maintain the appearance of my unit but I'm about at wit's end with this.

Montana_5390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #49
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Well, as I've said before this is a sore point for me. I would not expect the decals to start peeling after a few years old.
Let's all start posting pictures of how bad the decals look.....maybe Keystone will fix their mistakes.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #50
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well after reading about all the folks who have been having decal problems it makes me go back to a post I posted to Keystone. I wish Keystone would offer, even if an option, two tone paint jobs on the Montana. I would pay the cost to have true paint and clear coat rather than decals.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #51
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Amen to that Montana Sky, have you seen those nice paint jobs they offer on the Cedar Creek's awesome. They will eve use your paint code to match your TV if you wish. We looked at Cedar Creek prior to getting the Monty but nobody wanted to talk to us, we went to dealership Tom Johnson's in Marion, NC twice and once at location in Charlotte but I guess they thought we were not serious buyers nobody would help us or answer any questions, so we moved on. Stopped by Montana Dealer we bought our last two units from ordered it that day from them they spent about 3 hours or better with us never left us answered all the questions placed the order with Major Russell at Terrell Camping Center same day we had got turned away from other dealer. BUt I do like the paint jobs that Cedar Creek has to offer.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:21 AM   #52
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I am just wondering about something. The pinstripes on my Ford pickups have always been decals and I have always waxed right over them. I have never had a problem with them peeling. I am going to to the same thing on my new Montana and if the decals start to peel off down the road, I will look at getting a new paint job with a couple stripes the same color as the truck. Resale value doesn't concern me because I bought this Montana to keep, not trade in. Any comments.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:15 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Now that you mention it you are correct about the pinstripes on a Tv or car not peeling and waxing over them..I sort of thought that the peeling on a Rv,(large surface) could be due to the surface expanding and contracting reacting to changes in weather very hot to very cold , much like your home does. You know how in summer time some of your doors will not close because of expansion due to hot humid conditions??? I do know that the decals on our TT that we kept for 10 years never peeled. Faded yes..what did they do 10 years ago that they do not do now...
Old 02-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #54
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I just went out and read the Keystone manual on maintaining the outside. They say to use a marine wax that is suitable for fibreglass and they say to wash and wax the decals in the same direction as you would apply them. Common sense , but something a person could forget.

Also, no pressure washers.

I will be waxing my unit soon, and I will apply the wax right over the decals but always pressing them down.

I wonder if people that tried not to wax the decals were just coming up to them and starting the delamination process. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:11 AM   #55
Montana_1876
Established Member

M.O.C. #1876
would love to post a picture of the state of my decals....but i do not know how to post a picture....if someone would inform me, my pictures would be included. thanks john deveau
Montana_1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At the Toledo Rv show when I mentioned the peeling decals to the Montana rep he stated that according to their records that was not a issue of any consequence although Helen found the Decal on the 3400 at the show was peeling off at the rear edge of the unit.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #57
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a short and quick report: I have been waxing the front cap of our Montana right over the decals. They seem to be holding up in fine shape. I must admit, that is the only part of the RV I have waxed. I do intend to wax the back cap for the first time, pretty soon.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #58
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
In a few conversations with other RVers, it seems that there is some question about applying vehicle wax with a patroleum base might be causing the curling and peeling. I would think that Montana would contact the company that make's the Graphic's for our units and make them come up with the answer and remedy!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out www.liquitech-ky.com and click on (finish first auto polish) it's suppose to be a synthetic polish easy on easy off - Some rigs are useing this with great results on their web site I think the pint is $19.95 and a gallon is $115.00 The rigs that were using this I have seen while down in the RGV this spring looked really sharp.

I still think that the graphic company that supplies these are responsible and should have some answers for all of us.

Later John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #59
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
John T. Deveau:
For instruction on posting photos, see this link:
http://geocities.com/montanaowners/AddingPhoto.html

Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #60
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Maybe Keystone will take a hard look at this thread and realize that some of us would really like to have a two tone paint job option for the Montana. I would much rather pay for the hi-gloss and a nice paint job w/ clear coat on my Montana than having to wax constantly and still have decals that fade, peel, shrink, and crack over time.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote