Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Gooseneck Hitch

This may or may not be the forum for this but does anyone know if converting from a fifth wheel hitch to a gooseneck will void the warranty on a Monty?

I have a friend who has a toyhauler fifth wheel and uses the B&W Turnover Ball hitch. He loves it - he gets the benefit of the gooseneck while still keeping his bed free (no taking the hitch in and out to use the bed).

I would like to do this if it wouldn't mess up the fiver or void the warranty.

Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I had a goose neck hitch adapter on my first 5er. Type that locks onto the pin and bolts to the pin box. I didn't like it at all! The trailer only weighed 7500 lbs and the goose neck flexed way to much in my opinion. The adapter was not cheap either. The previous owner had just bought it and paid $450 for it. I switched it back to the original fifth wheel type and it worked much better and looked much safer. With the total weight of the Montana's I would be very careful with the goose neck conversion. Now if you remove the entire pin box and install a complete goose neck type hitch it might handle the load fine. But that is just my opinion.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We just had a neighbor pull out this AM that had a goose neck on his Coachman. He uses the goose neck to haul a horse trailer and figured he adapt the Coachman to the goose neck. He absolutely hated it. He was from Georgia and when he gets back home he's installing a regular pin type hitch. Figures he can store the hitch right on the Coachman's pin when he's not using it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
The previous owner of our Montana towed it with a gooseneck and swore by it, but too many people told me it would put too much pressure on the front of the unit. I called Keystone and spoke to someone—truly do not know if he knew what he was talking about—but he said it would void the warranty.

I went with the SuperGlide hitch, and the previous owner thought I was crazy, but you know what, I am happy with it and feel safe regarding keeping the nose of the Montana off the truck’s cab, and that is all that matters!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
I talked to my dealer as I am just about to take delivery. We were talking about truck and I mentioned about using a GooseNeck setup and he told me the same thing. It's not good for the RV and Keystone will not cover any problems.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 AM   #6
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
WE have the BW companion hitch. Has the best, simple, and safest locking jaw system. It Fits in the gooseheck reciever under the bed. Love it! Would never convert to goosneck only.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
As rlwhit mentioned. There fifth wheel hitches that attach to the gooseneck ball plate instead of rails. This could be a better option for you than adapting the trailer pin box for a gooseneck. Check out the B&W - 3000.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote