Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #21
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Rich I am happy to hear this is moving towards a resolution you can with live with. I hope all goes well on the fix.

bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went over to the Bartow Camping world were The Young's Big Sky is in for repairs. They were repairing a leaking galley tank today and we wanted to see what the failure was and how they would repair it as we two leaking tanks to be repaired. We will let the Young's comment on the repair but we learned a great deal from the repair tech on how to better install the tanks to prevent future failures.

The Young's have been camping at Camping world for I think they said 10 days and have a few more to go before all is repaired. We took them to "The Cherry Pocket" fish camp restaurant for a excellent dinner.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #23
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The Cherry Packet must be good every time my wife and I have stopped by their parking is so full we couldn’t find a place to park the truck within walking distance. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It may be one of the worst looking places you have seen but have the greatest food and service. They have cleaned up the area a lot. No more condemned buildings and others have been repaired and upgraded.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #25
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Rich: According to the Young's thread they were moving back in to their Big Sky on the 4th at Camping World. I am sure if we were in their position each day would feel like 3 or 4 days long but from your words it appears that things may be finally moving along with a fairly good tech and for that we all are thankful...hopefully.

When this is done we look forward to both of you sharing a new and improved tank install from what you have learned from this tech and their experience. Just thinking of what the rest of us could do to prevent this from happening.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:08 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do intend to post what we have learned. We also will send the information and pictures to Keystone. They are back in their Big Sky at Camping world and MAY be back here at the C.G Monday or Tuesday. I have got to look at some pictures we took at the last tour of the Plant at the fall rally in 2014. We specifically took pictures of the tank installation and we need to confirm what the CW tech said.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #27
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
We are still sitting in the Camping World campground. The tank install is mostly done, but we haven't been able to use the galley tank because they did not want to attach it to the sink drain until the glue completely set. This tank will be bolted to the frame. Did you know these tanks are just sitting in the frame with nothing to hold them in place? The only place they are actually attached to anything is the drains, both in and out. This allows them to "float around in the frame. They put this one in on Saturday and, since they don't work on Sunday, they will finish the install on Monday and, hopefully, start on the issue we actually brought it in for. I can't say that I'm happy, because our Big Sky has been here for 12 days and the tank is the only thing that has been done. We are hopeful they will finish us up tomorrow, but seriously doubt it. Though, the tech that is working on our tank seems to be good, I wouldn't say that I recommend this CW for anything. It's amazing what you find out from the people who are on the CW campground with you . . .

OH! Guess I should let you know - we didn't actually have a "tank failure." Chalk it up to yet another poor installation. The glue attaching the inlet pipes didn't adhere to the tank properly. They just pulled off! The tech told me he had never seen this happen. Usually the tank busts around the pipes. The new tank we waited a week for wasn't even used, because there was nothing wrong with the original one.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #28
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Rich , you just said you were looking at a park model and you had lots of money at the get together in FL this past few weeks . spend the grand and get it over with. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good advise.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #30
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Steve & Gina,

When I took my black tank out, i was supported by the top lip on both sides of the tank. I had to remove an I beam from in between the 2 tanks. The out side lip of the tank slipped on top of the frame, and the inside lip was on top of this I beam.

I cant imagine the tank being held in place by just the in/out pipes.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #31
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Virginia, when I redid my leaking galley grey tank, I commented on how it was held in place...sitting on top of one crosswise floor joist with a square steel tube bolted into the frame on both ends on the other side...and yes, the lips of the tank are supporting it all. There isn't any side to side movement when the removeable steel support tube is installed tightly against the side of the tube. My inlet pipe was correctly glued to the tank...but the seam around the top split open over a span of about a foot. I also has a split on the bottom of the tank, about directly under the inlet pipe that only showed as a drip when the tank was mostly full...but sanding the spot of the tank allowed me to see a crack running crossways and about an inch long. I redid the whole seam around the top and did a patch of about 4-5 inches square centered on the crack. And I did put in some straps to limit tank bulging when filled. John
Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
perhaps the side to side motion is something that applied to their model only or a defect at the factory .The repair tech commented on side to side motion and I asked him three times exactly what that meant. He installed 4 bolts to prevent it from moving . Why would he do that if it was not moving?? We are still looking for the disc with the tank pictures from the fall rally.