Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
RV Insurance

We are from WI and are in the process of purchasing a 2013 Montana 3625RE from a dealership in MI. No RV dealer in WI or Illinois came close to knowledge, inventory or competitive pricing, period. It's a first for us. We've been seriously looking at 5th wheelers for almost two years and migrated to Montana after exhaustive research. We ordered it in Dec. and should be at the dealership tomorrow and we are excited. That said, we've been investigating insurance companies and agencies. While at an RV show in Fort Myers recently, we came across two agencies that got our attention, Twin Peaks and Gilbert RV Ins. We've gotten quotes from both and included Great American Assurance and Allied respectively. Both are among the lowest in premiums. Has anyone had any experience with either that you could advise. Any other companies or agency recommendations would also be appreciated. We've checked with Good Sam's, Progressive and Foremost and they've all had higher premiums for similar coverages. We have an excellent driving record, but the rates from insurance companies are very contrasting. Thank you in advance and thanks also to the people responsible for conducting this site and forum. We are delighted to be a part of this club and hope to meet many of you in the forth coming months.

woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
woodman,

Welcome to the forum. Since I am retired military, I use USAA for "insurance". "Extended warranties" are something else. There are many companies out their ready to sell you extended warranties. I think that in most cases, it is like looking for a new RV. You keep looking and looking and looking until you find what feels good to you. Then look some more to see if the company is really as good as they feel. Some people like Volkswagen and others like Cadillac, Me? I'm a Dodge man (somewhere in the middle). We currently use Good Sam for our extended warranty and have been satisfied with them for many years. Check with the Better Business Bureau for ratings/complaints. And never forget that you (hopefully)get what you pay for. E.G.: good value for good money.

I took a glance at your website. WOW! That is some beautiful wood work. Hope I get to see some of it directly in the future. Perhaps at Quartzsite

Good luck in you research.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Congratulations on the new trailer Woodman!

I researched quite a bit for quality insurance and went by overall coverage, not just the least expensive.

I went with Explorer Insurance Agency Inc., and the coverage is through National Interstate. The customer service has been very good so far, though I have had no claims.

You definitely want good RV insurance, not just an add-on to your vehicle insurer. I also wanted replacement cost, not current value at time of loss as they depreciate so quickly.

I believe pretty good coverage is going to run you in the $400 to $500 range, but others can chime in on that to verify.

Enjoy the new trailer!
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Look into Blue Sky, it has very competitive rates and I had one claim with them and it was taken care of promptly!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
we're full timers and we have interstate. each state has different insurance rules so the cost does vary and you will have to just do a comparison. enjoy rving.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Watch USAA, they gave me a cheap rate on my old 5er which was booked for $28k. When I traded for the Montana, which booked for $24k, and my insurance almost doubled???? When I questioned them here they only had my last 5er insured for $10k????? We told them exactly how much that trailer cost when we applied. Not only did they do that with the trailer but also my autos. They had us down for less then 5000 miles a year???? Not in Texas.... I usually do 10-12K miles a year on my vehicles and have always told insurance companies that when I apply. Well we went back to Geico and my insurance dropped $400 a year and I have better insurance. So a word to the wise read everything or ask questions. I was just too trusting of a company that serves the military and Vets.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
martin3455

M.O.C. #12473
We chose Good Sams, aka GMAC and just recently had occasion to use it - unfortunately. The GMAC rep we worked with was very thorough, responded quickly to our calls and processed the checks promptly to get our rig back in shape. Perhaps we could have saved a dollar or 2, but after that level of great service I wouldn't give a second thought to cheaper.

We have a 2013 3455SA that was broken into in storage. The theives knew what they were doing with the door locks and where to locate the TVs. In the process they broke the table and 1 chair, heavily damaged the counter as well as the locks to the basement area. We were lucky, other rigs in the area were heavily vandelised.
martin3455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have Progressive on both truck & trailer with an agreed price that includes modifications. Starting our 4th year with no. Have been happy so far.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We also use Blue Sky. You really need to investigate coverage. A lot of the cheaper premiums are for "Blue Book" value coverage. That means that as soon as you drive it off the lot your insurance won't pay to replace it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

woodman,

Welcome to the forum. Since I am retired military, I use USAA for "insurance". "Extended warranties" are something else. There are many companies out their ready to sell you extended warranties. I think that in most cases, it is like looking for a new RV. You keep looking and looking and looking until you find what feels good to you. Then look some more to see if the company is really as good as they feel. Some people like Volkswagen and others like Cadillac, Me? I'm a Dodge man (somewhere in the middle). We currently use Good Sam for our extended warranty and have been satisfied with them for many years. Check with the Better Business Bureau for ratings/complaints. And never forget that you (hopefully)get what you pay for. E.G.: good value for good money.

I took a glance at your website. WOW! That is some beautiful wood work. Hope I get to see some of it directly in the future. Perhaps at Quartzsite

Good luck in you research.
Are you full time? USAA would not insure us since we are full time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
We have had progressive 10 years - have only used once with TT when blowout caused 5k$ damage.. I was very happy with their claims process. We live in calif and have not been able to beat their rates for comparable coverage.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
IMHO, USAA has taken a step back in the quality of service provided. They used to be very restrictive on who could join, now anybody who ever wore the uniform can be a member. They are sacrificing quality service for membership numbers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We use Blue Sky for our rv insurance.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote