Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I have a question for you Marines

I made my brother a quilt (a former Marine). I would like to embroider the words "Semper Fi" on the label, however I do not want to do it if it is not appropriate for a non-Marine to do so. Would you please tell me if is OK or would it seem to be patronizing. Thank you, I do appreciate your help in this. I know there are several Marines that I have met at the rally's and I value your opinions on this. I am so proud of my brother who served in Viet Nam.
Sandy

slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think it would be fine and nicely done. Or you could put Semper Fidelis which is the full wording.
Again, I think either way would be fine.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Thank you!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
What a great sister you are......
I wish my sister would do something like that for me, but I was in the Navy, and she dont know how to do quilts and she would probably call me a dixie cup. Ha Ha...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I think it would be fine and nicely done. Or you could put Semper Fidelis which is the full wording.
Again, I think either way would be fine.
Agree...I am sure your brother would be very pleased with your thoughtfulness.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Absolutely appropriate. He will love and appreciate it. It shows that you are "Always Faithful" to him, which is what Semper Fidelis means.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Isn't it true, Once a Marine, always a Marine
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I served in the Army 1966-1969, I don't have any sisters, but if I did I would want them to be like you...your brother is one lucky guy!
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,
Make one for me. When I receive it I'll let you know if it's alright to give to him.

Oh! Well! Yes, I think he will be very happy to have something like that. You can take the man out of the Marines, but you can't take the Marines out of the Man.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will definately add Semper Fideles to the quilt label.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I will try to make this as short as possible. I came home from work one day and I find at my front door where the postal carrier left this box for me. I had not ordered a thing, had no clue what it was and it was labeled with return address from the state of Washington I believe it was. I opened it and it was a quilt that was done in red white & blue. It is a beautifully done quilt and was given to me by a club known as "Quilts of Valor" . To say the least I was stunned someone would do this for me. It seems this club is quilting there hearts out trying to get a quilt to every person that got a purple heart in the line of duty. I am very proud to have received this and if there is any of you that are a member I want to thank you so very much.

And yes...........Semper Fi would be great on that quilt Sandy.

Thank you again Quilts of Valor group.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Dave, I frequent (too much) a quilting forum where there are lady's who do Quilts of Valor and Quilts for Wounded, also. Now they are actually sending quilts to Afghanistan. The QOV statement says that the quilts will be for any service person who has served in a war, because war changes folks. They/you need to know that you are all appreciated so very much. Words cannot describe. I am so happy to *know* someone who has received a quilt like this. I will report to the forum how much your quilt meant to you. Thank you for serving and also thank you for sharing your quilt story. BTW, my bro also received a purple heart. Maybe he will be getting a quilt from them someday, too.
Sandy
Old 03-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #13
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by slewis

Dave, I frequent (too much) a quilting forum where there are lady's who do Quilts of Valor and Quilts for Wounded, also. Now they are actually sending quilts to Afghanistan. The QOV statement says that the quilts will be for any service person who has served in a war, because war changes folks. They/you need to know that you are all appreciated so very much. Words cannot describe. I am so happy to *know* someone who has received a quilt like this. I will report to the forum how much your quilt meant to you. Thank you for serving and also thank you for sharing your quilt story. BTW, my bro also received a purple heart. Maybe he will be getting a quilt from them someday, too.
Sandy
Thank you for giving me the right info on why they were sent. It was my thought that it was purple heart recipients. But glad that all soldiers are subject to this "gift". And will take the opportunity once again thank the Quilts of Valor. I can't say it enough!!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by slewis

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will definately add Semper Fideles to the quilt label.
Sandy,
Thank you for what you are doing for your brother.

Would you be so kind, and I don't mean to nag but nag I will, as to spell the words as:

Semper Fidelis

You quote above was just a little off. Only by one character.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Spell check doesn't work in Latin. And I sure don't write much of it, either. Thank you, Wayne for pointing that out.
Sandy
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Also, for those interest. The USMC Song, as played by the USMC Band is one of the best marching songs in the Nation. It is used for many "pass in review" parades.

If you want to listen to it, here it is: Semper Fidelis as played by the United States Marine Corps Band.

Edited: It gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.