Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The question got me thinking, no remarks please about how dangerous that may be.

Anyway, I really don't recall seeing any photos of our beloved tow vehicles with roof racks.

So, just for the fun of it, I went to the Home page and did a speed view of ALL the rigs photos.

Disclaimer, not every photo over there shows the tow vehicle. Disclaimer two, cause I was really speeding through them, I might have missed something.

I found ONE tow vehicle that appeared to have some kind of a roof rack on it, owned by Jerzy54.

This is a for what it is worth post,

now back to the question posed by Brad and Bingo - - - -

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carol, thanks for the speed check. That is not the result I would expect, especially with the bike thing always a question and dilemna for those not wanting to install a rear hitch.

The only reason I thought about it was I saw a guy in the storage area the other day with with that good old yuppie Yakima logo on his roof over the rack windscreen, and he was driving a duramax - not a Volvo wagon!

It is a logical and easier fix for me, just wondering if there were hidden issues I haven't thought of, like it won't fit in the garage anymore.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,

I used to use a Yakima rack, they are wonderful, not sure how they would fit on a pickup truck. One thing, you need is quick releases for the front wheels, and also need to have enough room on the top of the truck for the length of the bicycle dropout to the center of the rear tire for it to ride up there securely.

Years ago, I had both a Yakima rack and a Thule, my vote would be for the Yakima rack.

.....and yes, there is a clearance problem going into the garage....please don't remind me.........

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
UH-OH. Don't sound good on the garage!.

Thats what I was thinking, probably need to make sure there is enough clearance in the back for the 5er to clear at all attitudes (probably a tray for the wheels rather than?

I guess I need to measure the garage too. The one I saw looked stripped down so it was just the base rack on the roof. I assume most of the hardware needs taken off to actually fit through the door, or maybe all of it (gulp). That in itself might make it a bad idea to me anyway.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

UH-OH. Don't sound good on the garage!.

Thats what I was thinking, probably need to make sure there is enough clearance in the back for the 5er to clear at all attitudes (probably a tray for the wheels rather than?

I guess I need to measure the garage too. The one I saw looked stripped down so it was just the base rack on the roof. I assume most of the hardware needs taken off to actually fit through the door, or maybe all of it (gulp). That in itself might make it a bad idea to me anyway.
Put a barrier in the garage that keeps you from driving in the garage with bikes on the rack!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm beginning to get the picture of what happened Robbie!

Did that once after coming home from sears with brand spanking new - but oversized - new tires!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I'm beginning to get the picture of what happened Robbie!

Did that once after coming home from sears with brand spanking new - but oversized - new tires!
Thanks, I feel a lot better.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #28
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Robbie, where was that picture of all those 5vers taken. That is way cool. Of course, the second picture is absolutely breathtaking. Jim
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I'm sorry for hijacking this thread....

The first picture is of this years 2009 MOC rally in Quartzsite. We are still here and enjoying boondocking out here in the wilds with MOC friends and others! If you are in the area, come on by! We now have room left in the circle!

I will be the wagonmaster next year at the Quartzsite rally, and would sure like to have anyone that might be interested to start considering making their plans early. I am open to any and all questions to make another very successful rally!

The second picture was taken in Canyon de Chelly in Northeastern Arizona.

And to stay on topic, we carried our tandem bicycle to both places, and will carry it to Quartzsite next year!!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 AM   #30
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Our son has the rack on top of his truck and he and his wife have trouble lifting their bikes up to it and they are young, so we knew it wouldn't work for us. We put ours on the bed with an old quilt under them, they never move. I said we'd never drag them inside but after not coming up with any other ideas, it does work. Over 35 years of camping we've seen lots of damage from bike haulin'. Glad we don't need 7 bikes anymore! Life does get easier when the kids take their own!!
Paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After all is said and done we will install a sturdy 2 inch hitch and bike rack on the rear of the 3400 for the bikes. The 1 inch receivers are IMO to flimsy.We have been transporting them on a ladder bike rack and if well secured they ride well but the bikes are wearing fast from the elements and it is a hassle to get them on and off.If well secured.Acually the best solution is to give up bike riding.. I am sure mother nature will take care of that in time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #32
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
We had the dealership install a 2 1/4" hitch on the back of the 5th wheel.

I also have installed a 2 1/4 " receiver hitch on the front of the truck.

so if we are taking the yamaha generator on a rack on the back of the
5th the bikes go on the front of the truck.

if we are taking the canoe on the front of the truck the bikes go on the back on the 5th wheel.

it works fine for our use.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #33
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
If you don't mind some comments from an owner of a SOB (on an old thread)- if you look at my photo album you will see my Ford CC where I can carry 6 bikes. 4 are carried on the roof and 2 go in the front of the bed.

The 4 on the roof are done using Yakima's King Cobra which are easy to use. Someone mentioned that it is hard to load them, but we put them in the bed of the Pickup and then just have to pick them up to the level of the roof (3-4'?) and roll them into their tray.

The two in the front bed of the PU are called Bed Heads (also by Yakima) which requires you to take off the front wheel. I have a short bed PU (with a sliding hitch) and there this is plenty of clearance before the front of the 5th wheel.

Both work very well. To lock the bikes, its easier for me (I'm 6'4") but my wife can load the bikes (she's 5'4"). If you want to load the bikes with the 5th wheel still connected....well, then my size certainly helps!!!
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #34
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Hey tall paul, have you seen any loss in fuel milege with the bikes on the roof? I have a sliding bumper on the back of the 5er and I'm still not sure how to "easily" attach and detach our bikes on it. This bike thing just doesn't seem to be easy to solve. As richfaa indicated, soon enough we won't be able to ride them, but then we'll need a way to tranport jazzie chairs or golf carts.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #35
Tall Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #2385
No, can't say I have seen any loss of mileage. Obviously, the profile of the bikes facing forward doesn't present a big wind target - that happens when you put a fat body on them!

As for running into the garage with the bikes on, the simple solution we found was to hide the remote from its normal location. That keeps you from automatically opening the garage and driving in with the bikes still on top. And yes, I found out the hard way.

Don't give up bike riding - you have to keep that up so you can snow ski! You need to have something to do in the northern country when you can't RV!
Tall Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #36
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
tbenefield,
I came across your post while getting ready for the Western progressive rally. Like you I was looking for a way to bring along a bike. Couldn't find a solution so this is what I did. Maybe it will work for you as well.
Regards,
John
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34303

WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote