Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Polarity Reversing Solenoid Help

OK wrench turners, I could use some help/advice. I have the LCI Level Up Hydraulic 6-Point system which drives the levelers along with the slide outs. The Polarity Reversing Solenoid

is sticking in that pressing the buttons on the panel, remote or interior switches results in a “click” sound at the pump motor. If you tap the solenoid with a screw driver handle while activating a switch it will get things working (i.e. the pump motor runs). From then on the pump will continue to respond to requests (unhook, level, open slides, etc.). But if it sits overnight or longer, it is more likely than not you will need to get its attention (handle tap) again before it will run the pump.

While the screw driver handle process works currently, it probably is not a permanent solution (besides being a PIA). I can buy a replacement solenoid *HERE* for $84.85 which I intend to do. But in the mean time, has anyone ever played with this solenoid to know if it can be cleaned/lubricated/unstuck?

TIA

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming the coil is not totally shot, you could drill out the rivets and try to clean the contacts up then bolt it back together, but you are just prolonging the inevitable. China doesn't make stuff to last anymore ... dust off the ole wallet and get a new one. etrailer.com has them for about $15 cheaper
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Amazon has one for $17.00 & quite a few. But I think their all the same?
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Mine burnt up on the way to rally. LCI replaced it free
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Replacements are available from many places, even Walmart.com. Google POLARITY REVERSING SOLENOID BY TROMBETTA. But looks like the cheap ones are all noted as "after market" which I would guess they are not made by or under authority of Trombetta. Trombetta is a company specializing in that type components. Whether that makes a difference in reliability or not, who knows.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I wouldn't waste the effort on a $17 purchase. It is made way cheap and won't support the amperage your system draws. It just like buying bulbs for rear projection TV's like Mitsubishi ... you can spend around $90 for a genuine replacement bulb from say Phillips and enjoy several years of service or you can buy a knockoff bulb for $20 and might watch TV for the rest of the evening before it pops.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Why would anyone believe the ones LCI uses are any better than anything from anywhere else? Like all the RV industry, they got for the lowest price every time!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks folks! Once I have a replacement in hand I may take a shot at disassembling the current one to see if it is possible to repair it. I doubt it.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Amazon does have the USA made Thrombetta switch for $64.00
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Before opening up the relay. I would while waiting on a replacement. Pull off each electrical connection and sandpaper the round / spade terminals and re-tighten the bolts. It could be just contact corrosion causing the fault and by hitting it with a screwdriver the contact might be marginal.
Disconnect the power source first for safety.
If you have a ohm meter check the ground connection for resistance as well as ohm out the space terminal connections.
More than likely the internal contacts have pitted and they are not seated making good contact.
Read the reviews and customer comments. This looks identical and is for warn / ramsey wenches but for under 18 bucks or just look for the original OEM Warn and pay more.
IF you hare handy you could always put two in parallel and share the current between the two.
https://www.amazon.com/CONTINUOUS-RE.../dp/B004VAGKZE
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #11
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
(Cole Hersee) Little Fuse is a standard industrial supplier of electronic sub assemblies and fuses.
This one has an IP67 rating which is weather tight and is also silver contacts internal which is also recomended for high inrush current loads and demands.
They are approx the price you quoted

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/d...les/24452.aspx You can get the data sheet here.

Quick Google price has them around 40 - 80 bucks
https://www.google.com/search?q=2445...w=1416&bih=770
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks uhftx. The data sheet is very informative. The $17 alternative has no equivalent information available. With the high amp draw of the pump, it is important to have a matching solenoid.