Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wheel problems

Wheels are horrible, lug nuts a rusted mess.
I will contact the manafacturer and see if they will stand behind them.
Bad wheels and lug nuts
http://tiny.cc/Wheels1
http://tiny.cc/Wheels2
http://tiny.cc/Wheels3

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yuk! I understand the lugs in that ocean breeze - but is that stains or pealing of the finish on the wheels? It looks like what mag choride is doing to our stuff here in CO.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad, I was looking at other trailers that had been in the same environment on the Island, theirs were fine, even the lug nuts. The wheels' protective coating is failing. They have never been driven in the snow or treated roads, so I just don't know why they are so bad. But I will try to get replacements.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Let us know how you make out,I have the same problem.I've removed them once cleaned as good as I could but there're rusting back up again.Mine is a 2005 so I don't expect any replacements and I hate the thought of buying new ones and it happening again.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,

I'll be watching to see how it works out. The lug nuts are terrible and need to be stainless, but the wheels surprise me.

BTW, have you seen any pressure rating stamped on your wheels??
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Ozz those are some rusty lug nuts. I just had 8 lug nuts replaced by the dealer under warranty. Mine looked like they were messed up by an impact wrench. Nothing like yours. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I ended up getting rid of the so called "decorator" lug nuts and just went back to the standard 13/16" nuts. I was having trouble with the edges rolling over and couldn't get my torque wrench on. Now no trouble.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I will keep everyone up to date.
Brad, I checked the back of the wheel, it had no rating, some information, but no rating.
I was depressed after I looked at the back of the wheels, they looked very light weight and cheap.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Joining the band wagon and over my one year mark, I have the same problem with the lug nuts and a smaller amount of the same problem on the rims. I keep remembering lowest bidder.
Please keep us informed.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My Hanna was purchased by us in August 07. The very first time I put the torque wrench on the lugs started to rust and look like yours. Warranty will replace with OEM. Unfortunately, my technician told me they would start doing the same thing in a very little time (especialy here on the Gulf Coast). Going with stainless steel is the best way to have "the look," and not get the rust. As for the wheel, they look like the forks of a motorcycle after a few years of hard riding. Since they are aluminum, they are polishable, using a Dremel with brass wire wheel, or some 4000 grit paper/steel wool, and lots, and lots of elbow grease. Once it is polished to your specifications, clear coat it.

To much work for me so when it happens I'll replace with some good looking ones (painted steel)

Edited: Aluminum will polish up to look like bright chrome.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If the wheels have clearcoat on them, that is probably what is peeling. Salt from the beach! The alloys on my GMC look the same way. Would have never thought it would do it, but it does. See lots of aluminum wheels with no finish left on them here.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #12
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Rusted lug nuts were one of the things noted on our PDI when we bought the 2005. Dealer ordered new ones, I installed them myself without using an impact wrench, and in no time they were rusting too. Last spring, while repacking the bearings, I polished each lug nut and put on a good coat of wax. They started rusting again almost immediately. I finally replaced them with McGuard's from Summit racing. They are guaranteed not to rust.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Just replaced mine with new OEM the dealer sent me under the 1 year waranty. They sure look good again, but it sounds like I wasted my time!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
DL N K,
What is the part number for those McGard lugs. I looked on the Sumit site and there are a lot of lugs there. If you have the part number handy it would save me alot of time. Thanks in advance. Tom
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys I dont live on the coast but it is humid here. I sprayed and wiped mine with WD40 helped some. But my sil told me to use tire foam on tires and spray a little on a rag and wipe wheels and lugs it will make them look good and they are holding up well. Now mine were not to bad to start with but it helps jmho.bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Tom,
The part number is 64805 on the McGard package. Looks like the Summit sticker is MCG-64805. I think that's for an 8 pack. They're not cheap! But, the package says, " Guaranteed for life not to chip, peel or rust," and that makes 'em worth a bit more to me.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I will investigate sending them to a plating company in K.C. Mo., if I do not get satisfaction from the wheel company. I collected and sold antique pot-belly stoves, I had my belly rings and fineals nickel plated, wasn't too high. I'll sandblast them, then send them out in batches.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:55 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I will investigate sending them to a plating company in K.C. Mo., if I do not get satisfaction from the wheel company. I collected and sold antique pot-belly stoves, I had my belly rings and fineals nickel plated, wasn't too high. I'll sandblast them, then send them out in batches.
That's an interesting idea. You know if the wheels are clear coated, or merely chrome plated aluminum? As I said previously, my GMC wheels are doing the same. Never thought about replating them.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am pretty sure they are just clear coated.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #20
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When I got my new Blazer my lab liked to mark the tires like a meter maid. About two months after I got it I noticed that the clear coat was coming off and there was severe corrosion on the Alum wheels. The next time I caught him doing it I hit the shock collar MAX button for about 5 seconds, he shot smoke rings out his butt. I did the same thing with the Big Sky. Sat in the house and watched him circling the rig then moving in for the kill. As soon as his foot left the ground BANG smoke rings.. He hasn't lifted his leg anywhere near the rig since.Good doggy. He does a lot of squatting now..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote