Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Battery Bank

Well I'm making slow progress on installing My new Solar system. Ordering everything was the easy part. Now I get to look at all my stuff and wait. I had 3 back surgeries in Jan. and Feb. So I can't do much. But a nieghbor was out working on his car A few hours ago. So he was kind enough to remove the two old 12 Volts, and set my four new 6 volt 225AH in place So I wired all four in series and parallel. What a nice sight. I plugged in the Shore power with the new converter that I installed last week and I'm glad I did, Our new to us montana is a 2004 so I thought nows the time to change it out.( Last Sept. On our old 5th wheel I had to find a place to replace my first converter ever We were up near Canada, payed over $500. so thought I'll do this on my terms. HA) So the green light was solid green, and the batteries with a volt meter test were all 14.2 It will charge it up to 90% and then should start flashing and maintain them. So for a guy that can't bend, twist or lift more then 10 LBS. I'm happy, now i need the 4 100 watt panels and charge controller and the Renogy 2000 watt inverter. oh yeah and I still have to get those 4 little solar panels on the roof and installed. Shelley say's I don't understand why you don't take to a shop and let them finish it. I told her they only work on them if you bought it from them Mean while every time a friend stops by I'm going to put them to work.
Thanks for listening.
Mel

Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
You are well on your way to solar. I have the exact system and love it. Installing the panels is easy. The small problem I ran into was running the wires down from the panels to the controller. A set of longer wires would have made it easier. I brought the wires down through a roof vent. Then fished them through to the front compartment to the controller. So I would suggest that you lay it out and see the shortest run for your wires. I ended up putting my panels closer to the front of the coach than I had planned so everything reached easily. Good luck and keep us posted.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
I was planning on running the wires down a vent right above my shower and the bathroom sink. It looked so easy on the video?? Now I could go with my second Idea, and that was running wires down the refridgerator vent. Might be able to get the wires through there without moving the fridge if I'm lucky. Anyway Nice to hear from someone so close, I'm in Windsor, How long you been up in Ukiah
Thanks, Mel
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
We have lived in Ukiah most of our lives. Now we are looking at retirement and may leave the area. Not really sure if that's the final plan or not as we love it here.
We have had two montanas now and I have a keystone toyhauler that I use for all my hunting. The toyhauler is what I installed the solar on and I love the upgrade. The Montana is next I already have the 6 volts and inverter system installed so now the panels and controller. Just waiting till the rains end. Good luck with your install if you run into any problems let me know I'm just a short ride away.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote