Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
adding 12v power plugs

I would like to add 12v plugs on my 2007 3400. One near Desk area or by built in vacum. And one in the basement. I like to run 12v fan or convertor for small flat pannel, when there is no ac power available. Where is the easiest and best 12 volt power source to pick up in these areas. where have you all added 12 volt plugs?

ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
We installed one in the cavity next to the Jensen Entertainment Center. We have several 12Volt cell phone chargers that use the outlet. The bezel just pulls off the Jensen, under that is 4 screws. I pulled out the stereo and rested it on a folding table to reduce strain on the wires. Inside there are clearly labeled wires. The Jensen stereo is 12Volt and a convenient place to tap in. I installed an inline 5 Amp fuse.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have an older model 3295RK that has a desk at the very rear of the coach. I wanted to run my amateur radio gear from the desk area. Since there was no 12v outlet there I ran some heavy duty cable underneath the trailer and brought them up into the bottom of the desk. I then installed the 12 volt outlet under the desktop. It works great but wish I had done what H. John Kohl did. He has the same rig as we do. He simply installed a gel cell battery under the kitchen counter. It is a sort of dead space anyway. Then he has a very short 'run' for his 12v receptacle. To charge his battery he installed a dedicated charger. Much "cleaner" installation than my round about process.

Good luck.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote