Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Airborne with Sidewinder Pin Box is it Any Good?

I have a short box pickup truck. I have been thinking about the Airborne with Sidewinder pin box. I don't know anyone with it installed.

From the information I can find it looks like a good item to install.

So if anyone has any information on how it performs in real life please share it with me.

DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I have that setup and I am very pleased with it--had a problem early on with the bladder leaking down and I got it replaced under warranty and haven't had a problem since-- it makes backing a little different and easier--you will have to learn how to back and I have found that if I get under it real hard that I can back in a shorter distance and use less space--it also did a good job of softening the ride and handles chucking really well--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I too have this set up.I just love it.Really improved the ride.And I dodn`t have to worry about sliding the hitch,doesn`t even come close to hitting the cab of my truck.I find it a lot easier to back up also.Don`t ask me why,but for me it just is.I`am 100% satisfied with the 5th airborne/sidewinder.Had mine installed at a local Camping World,they did a excellent job with the install.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I installed my own. If I was to do it again I WOULD. Never have to forget the slider and do damage which would more then pay for itself. It also makes the camper about 2 foot shorter for turns. It also rides better.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think it is a pretty slick setup but I decided to go with a superglide, instead, for one reason. When I called the mfr about the sidewinder they agreed if the Montana ever needs to be towed I would have to remove the sidewinder first. The earlier superglides had a similar situation but you could purchase an adapter for towing with a standard hitch. The later superglides, like mine, have an option for a removable capture plate, the part on the pinbox. Mine removes by loosening a single setscrew and locknut. Otherwise, it appears to me the sidewinder works well.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Had mine for almost 2 years. Before installation (short bed pu) I was watching my back glass more than where I was backing. The 5W now backs more like a boat trailer which is good in tight places. Ride is good. I usually run 80-85 psi in the air bag. Like gpats, I did have the leakoff which took replacing the airbag and then air up line on the 2nd try.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote