Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Wet Bolts and E-Z Flex came today

Getting ready for the summer trip, this year to WA state, and decided to check the shackles when I repacked the bearings and adjusted the brakes. Wow, less than 10,000 miles and a couple were already worn badly. Ordered the whole E-Z flex kit directly from Dexter, they came at noon and were on by 5:00. As always the second set took 1/3 as long.
The components look good, especially the shackles, twice as thick and harder too. I think that is the last project to do before loading up to leave on the 15th.
Next time I buy a 5th wheel I'm just going to buy the cheapest one i can find and replace everything just like I've done on our Monty.
Just kidding! But some things really surprise me how cheaply they are made.
See you on the road.

Tom and Georgia

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We are considering the Equa-flex update, although we have greaseable shackles on our unit- the downside of our installation is the grease zerks are on the outside next to the wheels which makes it difficult to lube- My question for you is- are the grease zerks next to the wheels or on the inside of the frame? Please keep us advised of the outcome of your install- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I did mine and it was a job but I think it was worth it. I found this link after I did mine wish I had found it before doing the job.
There some tips there that are good. I also think that if you put the grease points on the inside it would be better. With them on the outside it is harder to grease.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/21609645.cfm
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I replaced all the straight zerks with 45 degree ones. Makes it easier to lube.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
A spring bolt is a spring bolt. It doesn't matter if it's installed right to left or left to right. Put it in so the zerks are where you want them. And Awaywego is right, 45 degree (and in some cases 90 degree) zerk fittings are your friends. I replace many of the straight zerk fittings during the first chassis grease job of a new vehicle. Servicing would become much easier if every engineer who does vehicle design was made to try servicing it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote