Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wheeee..........I just bought a huge touchscreen.

A HP TouchSmart, the screen is the keyboard if you want it to be.
I changed from XL to Vista, has anyone had problems adjusting to the new operating system? My DW's was a pain for me to navagate, but I was not used to it I guess.
Any tips for this slow learner?
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hey Ozz

Did you get the 22 inch or the 25 inch touch screen?O man I have been drolling over those for some time now.I like the all in one feature,no tower,only a couple of cables.You did good young man.I went from XP to Vista also.I like the new operating system.I haven`t had any problems adjusting to it at all.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozz,
I saw an HP Touch Screen at Best Buy. That's my next baby! What a sweet tool. You won't have any trouble with Vista. My wife has it on her laptop and likes it much better than XP.

Hang in there. Don't let it get to you. You'll be an expert in no time!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks guys, I am just lost in the woods now, Sue has a clock on her screen, I can't even figure how to get that up...
I think it is the 22" it is fancy. Harleyrider I'm glad you had no problem adjusting to it, I'm hoping it will not be too much of a pain for me.
Orv, we got it at Best Buy, I went in for a new lap top, but this thing is much better without the tower, went back to the mouse, so I will have to get used to that as well, you know the 'old dog, new tricks' deal... If our wives can transition, I guess we better get with it!
Ozz
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozz, I switched to Vista when I had to order computers last fall to replace the 2 that were fried when we had an electrical problem. I debated between XP and Vista, but everything I read and the so-called experts I talked with said that XP would be gone before long, and that Vista was the way to go.

Well, XP is still with us and looks as if it's not going anywhere after all. And, according to the IT people here at work, Microsoft may soon offer Vista users a free and easy way to go back to XP because Vista has not been the be-all and end-all that it was cracked up to be. (Take that news for what it's worth--it's just what I heard.) I haven't had any problems with Vista exept that neither of my scanners would work with it; my 2-year-old printers and my digital cameras did work with it after I updated the drivers for those things.

Vista is pretty, no doubt about it. However, I didn't like having to ditch my familiar old PhotoShop and upgrade to the Vista-friendly PhotoShop/Premier Elements. Ditto for some other fairly expensive graphics programs I used to use. None would work on Vista, not even in the "compatibility mode," which is a Vista option. I've also bought 2 "Vista-compatible software programs" only to learn that they are NOT compatible with the 64-bit version of Vista. By fiddling around with those programs, I am able to use them if I remember to save, save, save and then transfer my work to a PDF file or Word file later. But, sometimes those two programs crash between saves and I have to start over on what I was doing.

I now know that any "Vista" software has to say Vista 64-bit or else it probably won't run on my computer, so if you're using a 64-bit version of Vista, you're in the same situation. (If I were running Vista 32-bit, those programs would work.) There's also a way to tell whether or not a software program will work by looking at a small logo on the software box; the one that's 64-bit specific has a logo that's a bit different than the other Vista-compatible logo. Sorry, I can't remember what the difference in logos is, but I'll see if I can locate that info again and I'll send it to you.

I think one indicator that Vista's days may be numbered is the fact that several of the bigger program developers are not going on with development of 64-bit compatible Vista software. There are many software programs around that have the genuine Vista compatible logo on their boxes, but searching for the 64-bit Vista-compatible programs instantly alerts you to the fact that your choices are limited. I've seen no 64-bit development at all since September, at least with the programs I use (or used to use).

Vista--pretty, but at a price. Adjusting to it was easy--you may just have to look around until you find the old familiar menus and sub-menus that were visible on XP. With regard to Vista, I like the transparent windows and the new options for viewing photo files; some of the other cosmetic bells and whistles are nice, too. Still, if I had it to do over again, I would go with XP.

By the way, one of the biggest shouters of "Vista is here! Vista is here! XP is gone! XP is gone!" was PC Magazine. Well, PC Mag is gone, at least in the print version. Sure would have been nice if they'd announced the change from paper to online version before I renewed my subscription. I don't like reading newspapers or magazines while tied to my computer. I'm a "let me hold it in my hands or spread it out on the table" reader.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Windows 7 should be here soon.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I looked hard to find a new computer system that had Vista, some business computers had XP; downgrade-or upgrade to XP, but they didn't have the software bundle I wanted, also, after seeing this touch-screen, I was hooked.
That is interesting info on the problems Vista has, maybe with his new version, I will be Ok.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I went to Vista and you can learn it if you use it. I didn't go for touch screen instead I got a Toshiba with voice recognition. You just talk to it and it will do anything you can imagine. You can talk and it will write a letter or your post on the Montana Forum. Now that I had to learn but it's sure easier than a mouse.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't want to be condescending, but working through the tutorials can be very helpful. My computer has XP, but Dianna's has Vista. I have spent several hours on Vista tutorials so I can help her went she gets blocked.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

Windows 7 should be here soon.
Along with a whole new list of problems.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All these years I have scolded people for putting finger prints on my screen, and now they have touch screen. Guess I'll have to buy that cleaning rag to go with it if I buy one.

I have a friend that is a Computer Engineer and he put Vista on his computer when it first came out. He said it was "new peanut butter." (Translations, better than the invention of peanut butter.)

I just think it is so strange that Microsoft would change the location of all the drop down GUI's, but they do that all the time.

Go slow - you will get used to it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, a funny thing about the touch screen, my cat Sparky walked around the edge of the monitor, his tail brushed against the screen, and all the text was highlighted.
I like the ability to use my fingernail and sign a document. (I think I will get a soft pencil made for the task.)
Stiles, I have been viewing the tutorials, good advice.
Sue's laptop computer was real slow, we couldn't speed it up after much trying, so, I bought her a nice HP tower and flat screen. I got the fastest one they had. When the boss is happy, everyone is happy.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm finding drawbacks to Vista.
First, my HP PhotoSmart 1000 printer does not interface with it, so had to go buy a PhotoSmart C-7280 yesterday...bummer.
And, I guess I have a 64 bit something now, so that's not good for Photobucket, how do you Vista owners deal with this?:

Home /Support /PublicTechNoteFlash Player support on 64-bit operating systems
Issue
Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

Reason
Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following Flash Player 10.

Solution
To use Flash Player to view Flash content on a 64-bit operating system, you must run a 32-bit browser.

KeywordsVista, 64 bit, 64bit, Vista64

TechNote DetailsLast Update: 10-14-2008
ID: 6b3af6c9
Permanent Link: http://www.adobe.com/go/6b3af6c9
Products Affected:
Flash Player

TechNote Details
ID:6b3af6c9Products Affected:

Flash Player