Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Hydraulic hose Update

While at the Fall Rally in 2006, we had the RE suspension put on. While Mor/ryde was installing it, they cut the hydraulic line going to the rear slide. They spliced it and said that it checked ok. Well today on the way home the kitchen slide started to come out. Got home and the slide had came out about 3 inches. Tried to bring the slide back in but nothing moved. Checked the hydraulic resavore and found it empty. I figured there was a leak some place. You gussed it, the splice came apart. They spliced it with a serated coupling and hose clamps. You do not repair a hydraulic hose with a hose clamp. They had written on the service ticket that if I had any trouble with it, they would cover the cost of the fix. I will be calling them tomorrow to see if their word is any good. So far I have been able to put the hose back together so I could get the slides out. I will have to pull the belly to get the hydraulic fluid out.
The question I have is do any one know what kind of splice one can get or do I have to replace the whole hose?
Thanks
Dick
Replaced the hydraulic hose today. Had to have one made. Got all of the fluid out of the under belly. Total time for repair was about 10 hours. Don't ever want to do this again. Called Mor/ryde today but they have not called back. Will try again tomorrow.
Dick

rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Definately replace the hose, sorry, splices just don't work unless they are done with swedged fittings..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I would also not splice a hose, those hoses got I believe 2000 PSI going thru them.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
If you go to a hydraulic store like Parker for instance there are some hydraulic fittings that screw into the hose with an outer nut that screws over the fitting, think areoquip is one of the manufacturers, and they don't leak. Good for 3500 PSI I think. Any place that sells or repairs hydraulic systems should have what you need.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I agree. I had a local shop make me a propane hose for my last rig, but they mostly did hydraulic hoses for machinery and heavy equipment. I would think most of them do field service work, because I sure didn't see any place to park a bulldozer or a crane at this shop. A shop like that could probably send you a guy in a service truck and fix you up the right way.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
If you had a RV repair person working on your rig instead of you that would be at least $100 an hour. I hope they cover all of your labor and parts to get this fixed. Sorry you ran into problems, and hope they honor their word.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Are you saying Mor/ryde techs spliced a hydraulic line with a barbed fitting and hose clamps?????????? Those types of fittings are only good to maybe 300 psi on an extreme situation (more like 150psi everyday stuff)Our slide sytems run at 1800+ psi. I wouldn't be a bit afraid of a splice done correctly as in a crimp female swivel JIC connector on each hose end with a male JIC union inbetween. This setup would be good beyond the rating of your hose itself. As you found out,a good hydraulic supply house or possibly an implement dealer could do this for you. They could also make up a new hose for you if you just don't want a splice as there is no need to depend on the RV dealer for your hose unless it's a warranty situation. All hydraulic hoses are rated and stamped ... a 2000# rated hydraulic hose with the needed JIC fittings are just as good made for you today in house at a local supply house as is one 4 weeks later thru your RV dealer. I'd be on mor/ryde like bark on a tree ... they knew better!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I guess to Mor-Ryde if you can't fix it with a rubber shear pad, it just can't be fixed.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote