Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just joined Passport America.....

We joined in Kansas at a small park right before the tool starts on I-35, great park, in the middle of an old Corn field. Payed $14.00 to stay, he let us have the Passport rate, so I joined. (Free Wi-Fi)
We will be staying in Amarillo at the Amarillo RV Ranch on the way back to Havasu, anyone stay there? Looks good.
Any feedback on Passport America? I think it will be a good move, but you never know.
We will be trying them out on the trip, will look at Albuquerque next.
Thanks, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
bwney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4633
We just renewed our PA. Every park has different rules for the discount. We use it on our "travel" days, as it seems to be most useful for short stays. Parks aren't usually resorts, but good enough for short stays.

It more than paid for itself last year.
bwney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:41 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozz,
As you know when you ask this kind of question you'll get as many opinions as you get responders. We had Passport America (PA) for 5 years and finally dropped them because we encountered too many parks that were listed as PA parks but when we arrived they said they were no longer PA parks. Then, we had several where we were only allowed to stay 2-3 nights and couldn't get PA rates on weekends. My advice: Try it for yourself and don't worry about what others say. Then make up your own mind.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Orv. I paid for it, so it looks like I'm in for a year. I wanted to try Amarillo Ranch anyway, so we shall see.
With our computers we can check in advance now, (assuming they are up to date) it's no big deal if they drop out, the next stop may still be in the association.
Besides, this is supposed to be a great adventure with surprises and the unknown anyway.....
Old 11-11-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Ozz, You can't go wrong with P/A Think of what you would pay for on night stay! $44 not so bad even if only for one or two nights stay. You will get your money back after two or three visits. Some cg are not where I would like to stay at but if I need to stay overnight it pays.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We have had the same experience as Orv, with some parks that were advertised as being PA participants no longer in the program. We have had spotty results, too, in finding a PA campground while travelling. That said, we paid for our membership on one long trip a while back, using it for overnights on the way to somewhere else.

It's certainly worth a try. You may have a different experience, but I'm not sure I will renew. We have found some nice campgrounds, and some not so nice, but only you can decide if it's really worth it to you.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We just finished mapping a trip to Florida in March and we are using PA 6 times round trip. We've had great luck. Just watch the restrictions. I use the book and then double check when I call. Can also check via computer.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have found that PA is good for travel days as well. So far the places we have stayed that are PA are not what I would call 5 star but they are great for an over night or two. We paid for the membership in just one trip. We map out our trip, then look to see if there is a PA CG nearby. We have had a few adventures with them. We will renew since we feel it pays for its self. We just don't make it the priority for where we are going.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:23 AM   #9
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have used it for the past 5 years. It usually will pay for itself in the first few trips out. Like others have said some no longer belong as members, so just call ahead to see. We will continue to use as long as it pays for itself.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have PA for years and have only once come across a park no longer participating. I always ask even if they're not in the directory. REcently we got to one not in the directory yet (amana colonies rv park) and it turned out they had just signed up. So we got the site for half price.

We usually recoup our annual $38 or $40 (or whatever it is) in just two or three night stays.

We've found the parks are similar to what you see in Trailer Life. Some are terrific. Others not. So I sometimes cross check with TL to see how they rate them, especially if we'll be there for awhile.

We've been in a couple that very high ratings in TL's directory. And some pits, just like TL and Woodall's directories.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ozz, I should work for PA. I am so happy with PA that I sell it's advantages any chance I get. We have had PA for years and without exception have paid for it within just a few weeks of our yearly renewal. 2 years ago we saved over 400 bucks and this past year only 300 but this past year we spent 9 weeks of the season here in Florida in our winter location. In this same amount of time I only had one campground tell me that they no longer take PA.
Yes they do have restrictions and yes they do have parks listed IN THE BOOK that no longer accept PA but if you check the PA website you will find the CGs that have dropped out as well as the new CGs that have just joined. For example..there are 10 new campgrounds and NO new inactive listed for Florida that are not in the latest book.
In Penna there are 7 new and only 3 inactive that are also not listed in the latest book.

http://www.passportamerica.com/

OZZ you made a great investment and one that I can promise you will not regret.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ozz, we stayed at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park in September. I had just joined the Campground USA and stayed there for one half price. We were treated with courtesy and found it to be a very nice place to stay.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Dave. We may even try another steak at the Big Texan.....maybe we can even get Lonnie and the Mrs. up from their little kingdom close by.
Ozz
Old 11-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Since we always call ahead we can ask the park if they are still in the system or not.We are planning our trip to AZ PA to PA Campground..just call and ask...As folks mentioned they are best for week day travel and short stays..We alwyas get our 44.00 back and then some.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good advice. I think the short stay limitation is no biggie, as we spend many one and two nights when travelling between favorites. (Like many others, I'm sure.)
Old 11-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Lonnie and the Mrs. would love to leave their little kingdom for an evening in Amarillo Ozz, . Just have to see how things play out.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Good advice. I think the short stay limitation is no biggie, as we spend many one and two nights when travelling between favorites. (Like many others, I'm sure.)
They are not all "short stays". At one we have stayed 2 weeks and at a couple others we stayed a week BUT the 2 week campground no longer accepts PA and one of the 1 week has closed down and they were both here in Florida.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote