Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
pdferg
Established Member

M.O.C. #3124
Fried Power Converter

Our power converter burned up at 13 months old. Can anyone recommend a good 30/50 amp power surger we can install at the box and attach our line to it. Also has anyone experienced the micro oven working sometimes and about 80% of the time flipping the circuit breaker. We have a 2006 3400 Montana that we love except for this and I know there will be some bugs to work out. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Patrick Ferguson Central Oregon

pdferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Pat,

We just bought a 2006 3400 a little over a month ago. We just took it out for a camping trip last weekend and I had problems with our Apollo microwave. I also had problems with it cooking on the convection and 1/2 time mode. After inspecting it hubby found that the plastic gasket on the door was cracked. He called the dealership and they have ordered a new one for us.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Camping World's got surge protectors. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/c...ID=98:subOf=55

There are various sorts. One, (probably the most expensive,) not only protects against surges. But against sagging voltage, as well. An "autoformer."

No matter which one someone's bought, they will let you know how well it works for them. Or not.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Our power converter quit after we were out of warranty with Keystone. So we called IOTA and they told us there was a 2 yr warranty on their product. They sent us the new converter very promptly, no charge to us. We returned the old one. They paid for the shipping. If you call them ask them about the charger controller for $30.(Item IQ-4) It allows you to leave your power plugged in for an extended time without over-charging the battery.

Here is their website.
http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/ppwrrnty.pdf

Al

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Patrick,

Check this out www.surgeguard.com

We have had ours for a couple of years now and could not be happer. We also have the Hughes Autoformer. If we had to choose just one it would be the Surgeguard. An excellant product.

I'm thinking you might have experienced a surge that took out your converter and also possibly damaged your M/W.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
We also have the SurgeGuard hardwired into our 3575RL. I just have to remember there is a 2 minute 16 second delay every time I hook up the power so I don't get excited and wonder what broke. So I now hook up the power earlier in my setup so that by the time I am ready to open slides, etc, that safety time has elapsed.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I had to replace two power converters last fall in New Orleans. This was about a month after Katrina hit and I was hooked up in a friends back yard. The reason the converters kept smoking was because they did not have the neutral wire connected to ground so the neutral path went back through any thing that was grounded for a while. We didn't have any rain for several weeks and then it would blow the converter as soon as I turned on the air conditioning. I don't know if a surge guard would of helped in that situation if you are basically wired for 220 volts by mistake.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote