Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Flagstaff KOA

We spent this last weekend at the Flagstaff KOA on HWY 89 leading out of town toward the Grand Canyon. This campground reminds me of others that were built 30+ years ago before RV's got so big. The campground is really cramped. When we checked in, I discovered that the reservation people had made a mistake and could not fit the fiver in our reserved spot next to our friends who we wanted to camp with all weekend. They stuck us in a spot 3 rows away that was so tight we couldn't even set up chairs outside, let alone our awning. They claimed there were no other spaces available. The next morning I went to the office and had a firm but polite conversation with the manager and after telling them I was leaving they ended up moving us to the row behind our friend's TT. The site was a bit bigger..still no way to put out awning..but I ended up taking out a tree branch with our A/C. Luckily no damage to the A/C. During the remainder of our stay I talked with several other campers/RVers who were complaining about the tight spaces and roads. I personally talked to 2 other couples who could not fit their rigs into the assigned spaces and left for the office or another campground. Others were worried if they did get the rig into the space they would not be able to get out. You could also see where the pine trees all around the campground had missing bark for mishaps with RV's. I think for someone with a tent or tent trailer this KOA would be fine, but not for folks with the bigger rigs. I know I will not be returning.

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Seems to be a common tale with KOA recently. We camped in two, Albuquerque and Raton, NM, that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. "Gravel interior roads" is generous, at best, and both CGs had a rundown look. The one in Raton had a public alley open to the street on both ends. So much for security!

We're starting to re-think KOA campgrounds.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We stayed in the KOA in Eureka,Ca. over spring break. We were coming from the South and it was the first campsite we came upon. Their web site says they have 10 acres nicely treed, when we got there, there was not a tree left standing!! They had piles of trees 20' tall. Cut every one down, If you look on their web site it is a very nice looking campsite. It was late 7:30PM when we arrived so you had to self register. They had a sign in the window telling you to come back to the office in the morning for an " under renovation rebate". There was so much logging equipment operating in front of the office the next morning you could not get near it, we just carried on up the coast.
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Victoria stayed at the Flagstaff KOA about ten years back with friends over here from Italy. The stay was a disaster. I guess things have not changed.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote