Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 AM   #1
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Black Water Draining

We have an '05 2955RL. I have found that after draining and flushing at a regular dump, my tank doesn't appear to be emptying. When I get home in front of the house, (parked on an uphill incline) I can hook up the flusher again and with it draining into a big plastic bucket, get about 10 gallons of nasty out of it yet. I have tried several different dumps and variations on the angle of the coach while dumping. How does one get this tank EMPTY?

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:08 AM   #2
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Clyde n deb,

I'm not sure what is going on with your black tank.
Do you empty the kitchen and grey tank after you dump the black? What we do is dump the black tank then the galley tank and the grey water after that. It does help to flush the black tank. After that is completed I close the sewer valve and hook up the flush hose, I will fill the black tank a 1/2 to 3/4 full and then pull the handle and dump. I do this two or three times, then I leave the sewer valve open while running the flush hose until we get clear water comming out. We use a transparent connector where the sewer hose connects so we can make sure the water comming out is clear.
It does sound like you have another problem though, it sounds to me that your black tank is not set level. I would certainly get it back to your dealer to check out. Your rig is new so you need to get this taken care of before the warranty runs out.
Maybe someone else will be a long soon for some more remedies.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I had the same problem until I started to use "Borax" laundry detergent in the tank. The Borax seems to coat the tank with slippery suds, which helps to "slide" out all the crap. Prior to this, I use to run the flush for an hour, and it still would not come fully clean. I add about one cup of the Borax every time we start a trip. Add a little water, and the trip will suds up the tank. We buy the Borax at Wallmart and it is very cheap for a box. We also find that it smells good as well, and we don't have to use a deordorent.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I agree with Bill, also buy a sewer cap with a water hose connection on it. After dumping a running clean water thru the lines leave the little cap where you hook up water hose up 2 turns loose when you get home or at the end of travel next day all the water is gone.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
I usually put about a half Cup of Borax in the black tank every time I dump. I, also, put about 2 cap fulls of Rid-Ex in the tank to help brake down the Solids. Hope this helps.
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
We were having the same problem. Taken it to a dealership in Elkhart, Ind. They found that the vent pipe was in too far and also the drain pipe wasn't installed correctly. After fixing that it seems to dump better. This may be your problem also.
I tried the Calgon in my tank and it didn't break down the solid. So guess I'd better continue to use the comercial tank stuff.
Word of caution:: Check your pull rod on your black water. Mine was just a cheap piece of aluminum that broke twice. Had to have it replaced with a steel rod.
Mine is located between the tires so hard to reach. Wish there was a way to move it.
I have a 2005 mountaineer 32' pull trailer.
delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by delrob

I tried the Calgon in my tank and it didn't break down the solid. So guess I'd better continue to use the comercial tank stuff.
I think it is important to note that the black water tank is NOT a spetic tank. It is a holding tank. It is not intended to break down solid waste. The waste does not sit in the tank long enough for it to break down. The purpose of using calgon or Borax is to prevent the solid waste from sticking to the sides or bottom of the black tank. After you drain the black tank, add Borax and five gallons of water. After you drive, the mixture will clean the debris from the sides of the tank.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are lucky enough to have a dump station here at home and after doing all of the above I will go down through the toilet with a wand and flush the tank and STILL get nasty stuff out..think it gets stuck in the corners.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote