Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
water heater leak

WH quit heating on electric a couple of months ago and I figured I would just use it on gas until the weather warmed up and would diagnose and repair it then.

Sunday it would not ignite on gas, went out and found that the pressure relief valve was dripping and had caused corrosion on the wires for the gas valve. I could wiggle the wires and get the gas valve to "clunk" but it would not stay open to allow for flow. I changed out the wire ends but still no go, figured it must be in the valve itself.

I called several dealerships and camping world and no one has a valve so, since we are flying to Florida for a week figured it would be the perfect time to leave it at the dealership. (we are fulltimers in Indiana).

Monday evening we noticed the carpet by the fireplace was wet. Took off the panels to access the WH and all the connections were dry (no leaks) and the water seemed to be coming from under the WH.
I am wondering if since the water was still a little warm Sunday, once it cooled down by Monday, did a seal not contract and is leaking or do I have a tank issue? Any ideas?
I will have the service people check it all out when I drop it off later this week.
Sure stinks taking a bath in that small sink using the stove for our water heater

I did try to search for this in the archives but could not get any returns, not sure the search function is working.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
sounds like the tank may have cracked at the bottom. If these are not flushed out they build up a sedament along the bottom which will in time eat away at the metal. Do you keep the anode rod replaced?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Anode replaced every 12 months. I did empty the tank after we found the wet carpet so that "should" have stopped the leak. Trying to get the carpet dried out to see for sure.

I realize my unit isn't brand new, but has anyone else had an issue with the tank leaking after just 4 years?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Could it be a fitting, or plastic line by the heater?
Some pictures of the lines on the back of it.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...check%20valve/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Ozz,

that was my first thought as well, figured just tighten a fitting and be good to go. Took the cabinet panels out so I could see everything and the fittings as well as the floor below them was dry. the floor was wet on the side of the WH (towards the desk area, back of the 5er) and close to the wall.