Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Palo Duro Canyon

I have some family that lives near Amarillo, TX and I am considering our maiden voyage (of any real distance) after we take delivery of our new Mounty, to be to the park in Palo Duro Canyon. I have read that there are some things to do and see there, including a play 'Texas' in the local amphitheater. Have any of you stayed there and could reccommend which area or some activies?

bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bryan, we have never been out to Palo Duro Canyon, but we would like to do so -- maybe this summer. I am replying because you will almost certainly be following the route we take on our way to Colorado. In recent years we have started coming up to Paris and taking US82 because the alternate routes for us (Greenville, Denton, Decatur) have become so congested as the "Metroplex" has expanded northward.

Anyway, we know that route very well. We have stayed at campgrounds in Vernon (Rocking A) and Goodlett (Ole Town Cotton Gin); Amarillo (can't remember name but just off I-40 at East end of town. All were very positive experiences and we would stay at any one of them again, just depending on where we find ourselves at end of day.

There are two of the nicest "rest stops" in the country on that route with full and free WIFI connections -- one near Quannah and the other further up toward Childress.

Let us know if you make that great outdoor drama at the Canyon and how you find conditions in that area.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Yes David, 82W is the route that I usually take on the way to see my relatives, I made a note of the place you mentioned in Vernon and I think I had been looking into staying at the one on the East side of Amarillo, until I found that there were campgrounds in the Palo Duro Canyon state park. I don't yet have a GPS or a laptop to take with me, so I plan on doing most of my planning before I leave. Do you know of any publications with information on low bridges/overpasses?? I have a large atlas, but it says nothing about such.
Bryan
bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Bryan-
Palo Duro Canyon is a very beautiful place. We were there during the Thanksgiving Holidays last fall. I had always wanted to see the Canyon, but glad that I was not traveling with the trailer. However there were quite a few camped there. There is one way in and one way out and it is about four miles of a 10% grade. Being as I am from the flat Gulf Coast part of Texas, I get a little anxious when pulling a rig on a grade such as this. My suggestion to you would be leave the trailer somewhere around Canyon and drive down there with the TV solo before you try to make the trip down with the entire rig. They give you a stearn warning before trying to go down with a rig.

Palo Duro Canyon is involved in quite a bit of Texas History and is a very interesting place. Texas Parks & Wildlife have done a great job of utilizing the Canyon. It is a definite go see thing to do.

Here is a link that you can use for all states for low clearances.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Low%20Clea...w%20Clearances

PS.....here is another link I thought of after I made the post. This is from the University of Texas, a historical web site that allows you to search for any thing in Texas History, enter Palo Duro Canyon in the search.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/index.html
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Bryan:
I might recommend the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum (I think that is the right name) in Canyon. It is one of the best museums you could hope to find in a town of that size.

The outdoor play "Texas" is worth a visit, at least if the weather is pleasant. There is also a "ranch breakfast" or "chuckwagon breakfast" opportunity on a nearby ranch that has been recommended to me. We haven't done that, but would consider it if we were in the area again.

I agree with Charlie about visiting the canyon without the Montana in tow.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We visited the canyon last year, and really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't take a trailer down that road, and I ain't skeered o' nuthin'. Just a word to the wise.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Palo Duro Canyon was our very first real sightseeing experience as fulltimers. Definitely worth seeing. In fact, we made a second visit there last Fall. Both times we stayed at Amarillo. There's also an rv park at Canyon, at the junction of I-27 and TX 217. Palo Duro RV Park or something like that. Also, there are some very decent campgrounds within Palo Duro Canyon. I think next time we'll consider one of those. However, keep in mind when you drive/tow down into the canyon there is a mile long 10% grade. There is a sign somewhere that says don't tow down that grade if you can't make it back up. There is no other way out.

Hope you enjoy the Palo Duro Canyon. Take off your shoes and go wading in one of the creeks at the several low water crossings. Find the cave up above the road and hike up there. Etc. The visitor center's museum is a nice visit, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
We've been to Palo Duro a number of times, the road in and out is a little steep, but it's do-able. The wildlife in he canyon is super to watch, turkey's right up by the door. Just remember that the summer is quite hot down in the canyon. The kid's will love it, mine always did.

Vernon Keepers
02 F250 7.3 4x4
00 3280rl Montana
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:56 AM   #9
Montana_6480
Established Member

M.O.C. #6480
There is only one word for Palo Duro Canyon, "AWESOME". We went there last year and spent a week in the most beautiful spot that a lot of people don't know exist. The drive down the canyon is not for the faint-hearted, but I made the trip towing a 29' Laredo 5th wheel with my 1999 Dodge Dually Turbo Diesel 6sp tranny. Can't go fast (shouldn't anyway) but enough room for oncoming traffic. Anyone interested in pics to get an idea, e:mail me.
A trip worth the money!!!!

Giddyup!

jpp
Montana_6480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
http://www.geocities.com/stevereigle
then 2005 Postcards
then December 29, 2005 postcard.

Palo Duro Canyon is the site of the decisive final battle with the Commanche band led by Quanah Parker, the half-breed Chief. His mother was a caucasion lady snatched from her home by the Commanches when she was a young girl. If I recall, the museum details some of this information. It's a beautiful place to visit, totally unexpected in this very flat part of the Texas panhandle. Being our first fulltiming sightseeing experience, Palo Duro Canyon will always be special to us... the beginning of a fantastic adventure.

There is also a replica of a "cabin" which was home for awhile to Charles Goodnight, of cattle and cattle trail fame. It's a replica because the original is long gone but it's very realistic. There are other interesting sights in the canyon, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #11
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I am unsure when you are planning you trip to Palo Duro Canyon but if you are interested in the play Texas it only runs June until mid August.I agree that it is a neat place but have not pulled a camper down into it.I do have some friends that do it about every year.There are a some pretty good RV parks in Amarillo but I don't really know about any in Canyon although I am sure there is one.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 AM   #12
Montana_6480
Established Member

M.O.C. #6480
There are two camping areas for RV's in the Canyon, with electricity, water, and dumping station only. The spaces are limited and fill quite fast in prime season. Reservation is recommended. Do check your brakes before descending!

Giddyup!
Montana_6480 is offline   Reply With Quote