Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
vacuuming the Montana

I have been thinking about a new vacuum cleaner for our Montana. Can anyone recommend one that is lite weight and that has the proper attachments that can get to the problem areas. We don't have the central vacuum , so I need to know about one that will store easy and that will be efficient to use. Let me hear.
Countrygirl or Shirley

countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We recently added a little silver colored Eureka bagless that works quite well. The handle folds down for storage. We were using an upright Dirt Devil but it didn't have a beater bar/brush which the Eureka has. Sorry I don't know the model or name of the Eureka.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I'll make you a good deal on a a top of the line Oreck.

Very light, well built and reliable.

Not very good if you have a long haired critter though.... Fot that reason we went to a Dyson. Heavy and expensive, but nothing picks up Golden Retriever fur like it.

Russ
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think it depends if you have pets. Before we got the Monty with the built in we used a Dirt Devil in our other unit. It is a light weight unit with attachments that hook on the unit. Would fit in the closet very easily. We don't have pets by the way or small children.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
I also use a Eureka. Great suction, my only complaint is cleaning the filter. And I haven't found a replacement yet. They are reasonably priced too.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Go with the Eureka. Ours is the yellow one with the pull out handle. Almost lifts the carpet off the floor. Can't figure where it is finding all the dirt.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
a second on the little yellow Eureka, its small and powerful.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our little Eureka is the silver model with the fold-down handle. It has great suction, too, so great that I thought it was broken but the cannister (?) just needed to be emptied because it had lifted up so much junk. Sounds like Eureka has lots of happy campers. J.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 AM   #9
rick and linny
Established Member

M.O.C. #352
We take our shoes off when we enter the Montana. We have a small Regina electric broom, that RICK uses, I do the dishes he does the rest. Took 41 years to train him. Linny
rick and linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are no experts here but my guess is that just about anything works. We have been dumping plain old dishwashing soap in the tanks black and grey with maybe 5 or so gallons of water and let it work while traveling.We have never had a "tank problem" over the years.Dishwash soap does a great job of removing grease and junk from the dishes so why not the inside of the tanks????? It works...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Do any of you Eureka users have a model no ? we would be interested

Thanks
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #12
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Thanks to all of you that have responded in reference to a small vacumn cleaner for our Montana.
I need to know now where I can find one of these little Eureka jewels.... they sound like just what the Dr. ordered for our carpet. Please let me know what major stores keep these. We have Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and several others in Longview , TEx. How much do they cost and where would be the best place to buy one. This has been very helpful! and thanks again.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We'd be interested also....

Is it one of these???
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glenn and Lorraine

We have one that is similar to the 405A on the link you provided. Mine cleans hardwood or linoelum, and carpets. It has that dirt dump cup, the handle folds about half way, so it is easily stored.

I believe we saw it at CW and/or Walleyworld.

Works fine.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Consumer Reports Rates a Model 4870 as best buy $140.00.Wonder if this is the one?
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
kdeiss,

I don't think I paid that much for the model we have. I thought it was $65 to $85. but that was almost 2 years ago, and my ole brain cells get very weak after that much time!

Carol
Old 02-25-2005, 12:54 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I don't see ours pictured. It is all silver and the handle folds in half, flat against the body of the vacuum which makes it quite small. I'm sure we bought it at Wally World. We buy everything there! Only cost about $65.00. Just checked out in the Montana, ours is called "The Boss" by Eureka. I was beginning to wonder if it really was a Eureka when I didn't see it in Glen's picture. Then I began to wonder if I had a memory failure and it wasn't even a Eureka. But knowing I'd never had a memory failure before........ now, what were we discussing? Judy
Old 02-25-2005, 05:32 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Question for those of you with the Eureka. Just how well does it do at sucking dirt, sand, etc., out of the carpet? We had an Oreck similar to what you all are using in the Eureka brand. I thought an Oreck would be an excellent choice. We thought it did a good job. After living in the Montana for awhile we thought the carpet was starting to look bad, like maybe a poor quality carpet. To keep this short, we ended up getting a different vacuum, a full sized one. Wow, we had to empty the cup (Vicki help me here) two or three times in the first vacuuming. And the carpet looked a whole lot better. Much much better. It wasn't poor carpet at all. It was a weak vacuum.

Our "new" vacuum is really too big, though. It doesn't fit into the space between bed and closet, for example. You have to use the hand tools for that. So, I'm interested in this thread and the Eureka but am wondering whether we'd be going back to the same results we got with the Oreck. I'd hate to spend the money without being sure it's the right move.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You might be right there Steve, about the Eureka not getting ALL the dirt.

I have the advantage (?? questionable, as we often dream/drool about going full time) that when we get back to the stick built house we can get the Kirby or other vacuums and really give it the what for. I cannot tell you how much we get out with the big vacuum, as have never checked that. Usually I also take the huge carpet cleaner (you know, soap and water type) out there and go over the carpet that way as well. But, I have that advantage of having the carpet cleaner at the stick built and the time to let it dry. My full size sweepers do have attachments, but I usually only use the Eureka to do between the bed and closet, in our unit that area gets very little use, and it is not a problem.

I clean with the carpet cleaner probably a couple times a year. I will say that the Eureka pulls the carpet up, the pile looks pretty good when I get done sweeping with it. It does have brushes, which we have to clean EVERY time we sweep. I usually sweep once a week when I am on nice concrete padded sites, more frequently if necessary. When I am on grass or other natural (mud??) sites, we are extra careful about cleaning our shoes outside, use mats if we can, and take our shoes off, trying not to track in the ickies, and I sweep as necessary. Now, if I could only train the yorks to wipe their little paws!

Carol
Old 02-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good information, Carol. Thanks. By the way, if you can train Al, you oughta be able to train the Yorkies.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote