Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Montana_294
Established Member

M.O.C. #294
Suspension upgrade to fix running gear

I could have posted this under problems but it really is an improvement over factory supplied components.
Here is my experience:
One day when I arrived home with our '99 3255RL and locked the wheels with my BAL scissor type wheel chocks just before disconnecting from the truck, I noticed that the axles moved almost 1/2" apart before I could tighten the chock. I noticed this before on occation but didn't pay much attention. This time I thought that there was definately too much play in the axles and I crawled underneeth the coach for an inspection. To my surprise I found excessive wear in the spring shackles where I could see an elongated bolt hole. After jacking up the coach and supporting the axle, I removed the bolts from the shackle and found that there was only about 1/8" metal left before the bolt could tear out of the shackle. It was sooo bad that I would not take the coach on an other trip. What happened was that the bolt started to turn in the shackle and not in the equilizer that contains the polypropylene bearing (which is useless).
The star pattern on the bolt designed to press fit into the shackle speeded up the wear. Obviously, the hole was too large in the shackle and/or the dirt in the bearing of the equalizer seized the bolt.
My first thought was to go to a trailer and axle distributor to buy new spring shackles and plastic bearings.
The salesman at the Dexter axle distributor seemed very knowledgable and let me know that this was a common problem. To fix the problem, Dexter issues a kit that replaces all suspension hardware and fits the AL-Ko 5200# axle with 1-3/4" springs. I noticed that the replacement shackles are a full 1/2" thick compared to less than 7/32" for the factory issue.
The kit is No. K71-359-00 Tandem Axle Double Eye Kit and sells for a little less than $60.
Next to the hefty shackles, the kit contains new equalizers, bronze bushigs (instead of plastic, new, longer bolts with grease fittings and lock nuts.
It took me the better part of a day to make the installation. Before every trip I inspect the running gear for wear or cracks in the welds, check torque on lug nuts and now feel a lot better going down the road at 60/65 mph or making sharp turns. I do the same for the 5'ver hitch on my and truck and king pin assembly on the coach.
Also, I had to make similar repairs to my tandem axle ultility farm trailer after about 10 years of intermittend use.

I sure would recommend that everybody makes a running gear inspection occasionally or have a good shop make the inspection. If one of the axles comes lose, the wheels may collide and cause a lot of damage.

If anybody has any questions or comments, I sure would like to hear them.

Safe and happy camping,
norbie

2000 2500 Dodge LWB Cummins, auto, gauges, 18K Hidden Hitch, '99 3255RL and going to the Blue Grass Festival.

norbie

Montana_294 is offline   Reply With Quote