Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
Changing Brands???

Thank you for the welcome to MOC. Dutch & I [Di] are starting to look for a new 5th wheel. Though we love our current 'home' she is 10 years old and maybe it's time to think about putting her out to pasture. We saw several Montana's recently and were pretty impressed. We know that the forums are where members will tell you how they really feel about their RV. We are fulltimers [10 years and counting] and would like imput from Montana owners about which model & floorplan you like best for fulltime livability and why. Diana

Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Diana, you will get a lot of different opinions on this. It depends on your lifestile. We like the 3400RL because of the living and storage space. My wife likes the fact she can remove the clothes out of the dryer and place them on the large L shape counter to fold them. We like the large bed room with the king size bed. You will just have to look at all the models and pick the one that fits you.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
From your other posts I'm sure, by now, you're finding lots of information and are asking questions. That's the way to do it. Good luck with your search. And welcome to the forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
Mudchief, Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out the one you have. I did see a pretty Montana the day before yesterday but it had the rear kitchen, which I don't think I would like after having a rear living room all these years. I do have a question, if you don't mind. Does yours [or any other model] have any room inside when closed up? We're used to being able to use the kitchen without having to open up, if we want to heat coffee, have a bite, etc? I think there was a Montana at the Pomona RV Show we wandered through a few months ago but I'm not sure how it closed. Thanks, Diana
Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Good luck. As stated every model satisfies someones itch. We like the rear kitchen. Our on the road requirement was to have access to the potty and refrigerator. As you already indicate I strongly recommend you look at the exact unit you want in person and test it in the tow mode (slides in) and the extended mode to make sure it fits your needs.
Welcome to the forum and please keep asking the questions. Just remember you will get answers. LOL.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Diana
Our previous fiver had the ability to use the kitchen and table while in travel mode. We have the 3400 which does not have that ability unless we open one slide at least. We could do that, however, we have had no problems traveling in our 3400. We can get to the frig and the potty. We keep picnic supplies in the w/d cupboard and sit on the steps to eat lunch or use the picnic tables at a rest stop. Remember you use the rig a lot more parked than you do traveling. The 3400 is awesome when all the slides are out.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 3400..It is 4 slides, 400 square feet. That is as big as Rv can be. you have access to the fridge bedroom and potty room. If we want to sit at the table or get to the back while on the road we move the main slide out a few inches.We are long timers not full timers. You are just going to have to look at all the models. The Montana is a fine Rv..not the best but a long long way fom the worst. It is a very good bang fot you buck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The model that you can access everything with the slides in they quit making, it was the 3670RL.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
We have a 2955 Montana with 2 slides that you can access most everything without putting the slides out. I guess you never mentioned how much space you needed to be comfortable. Some people need more than others. This trailer measures about 32 ft. on the outside. Center kitchen/dining area. Recliners/rollaway couch in rear. Entry door is curbside rear. Queen size bead. This is definely not as large as a 3400 but that is for you to decide on what you need. Visit all of the Montana camper dealers that you can find. Not all Keystone dealers handle Montana and watch out for some dealers or salesman will just tell you "This is a Keystone" same thing as a Montana. The only thing that we can not access while traveling would be the clothes closet with hanging clothes in it..
This unit does not have washer and dryer also and being full timers, you would probably want that...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Welcome Diana - I have to ditto Parrothead post. We were going back and forth with the 3400 and 3475 - only difference being the long center counter and the wife settled on the bigger counter space. I don't think if made me much difference. You can check the floor plans on the web and see which ones favors your needs. Don't forget to check the Big Skys out they are coming back out this year also with a few different wrinkles in the floor plans.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #11
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Changing brands... Montanas and Keystone.

(We know that the forums are where members will tell you how they really feel about their RV).

Like yourself, we are long time fulltimers and we have owned and lived in a lot of
different models and makes over the years.

Last year, we too wanted to change our home as our old one did not fit in our plans
We looked and looked. We found the 3500rl Montana. We found one on the dealers
lot that we liked, she loves. That is what is important. The dealer fixed it up as we
wanted it , with all the options chosen by us.

We bought it, picked it up the next day. Upon returning to our park.at the time, spending
the next day "moving in", I discovered the following that need "fixin".
Toilet bowl would not hold water. Called Keystone service, very nice man gave me phone
number for SeaLand, called and to my surprise, lady kindly acknowledged the problem, sent
me a replacement kit to solve that problem. Three days later,it was fixed. NO CHARGE !

Six months later, we had a propane valve go bad. Call my friendly dealer from 500 miles away.
Explained my problem to him, two days later by UPS, I had a new valve. NO CHARGE!

Couple of weeks ago, our Apollo micorwave just up and died. Did not know it was even sick!
Thanks to a member , we found the phone number and a ladys name on here, called her up,
explained the details, 4 days later by UPS, I recieved an new microwave. NO CHARGE !

We move monthly or even every three months and during our moves, we never stay in parks
in route. We have pulled her over 10,000 miles coast to coast, Mission tires and all, from
altitudes of sea level to 10,000 ft. Never had moisture, heat or cold problem.

The slides opening is not our thing. We can get to our toilet and our bed when overnighting
. Those are the important items to us. Having the room we have is our premium. Owning a Montana
has it's downside also.

Over the past year, it has become somewhat of a problem in that a tremendous amount of people
have asked to see our home, supposedly due to the knowledge of rvers and the reputation that Keystone
and Montana has achieved. It has become a nuisance, although we have met some very nice people
as a result.

Keystone has been tremendously helpful and kind to us and our friends who live in their Montanas.
We believe, after living in most brands, that Keystone and Montana have had the biggest influence
in our fullfillment of life as regards to living arrangements.

Our rear living is our home, our bedroom with the king bed is our den. The kitchen has everything
that we need to enjoy life . With the problem free Montana and the floor plan of our home, we miss
nothing , nor want for anything else.

Examine all the brands and models and I believe you will find the Montana to exceed all expectations.

FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
See now we are weird. We have the front living room. It's very nice, but we're not full time. I think the worst part about ours is the storage area is limited. Other than that, I think it's very practical. I do think we will trade in long before we go full time though.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #13
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We have the 2980RL on order - it is the same floor plan as the 3400RL only a little shorter (33'5"). We are not full time, altho we plan to live in it when we get our lot in Benson, AZ which will also have a 288 square foot casita - the only thing I did not like was the fact you have to move the slide out a little (unless you want to climb over the counter!) to get to the refrigerator if you are in transit, but, Chcuk is going to install the swivel thing on the table and then we can just swing that out of the the way and not have to open the slide at all if we don't want to - good luck finding just what you want!

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We have the 3400RL and love the floor plan. We opted for the queen size bed to get more room in the bedroom, I am 6'2" and the queen size is long enough for me. We can access the refrigerator, bathroom and bedroom while all the rooms are pulled in, we are not fulltimers so we rarely need to access the interior while we are travelling.......Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Welcome to the MOC Forum! I selected my model (3500RL), because I'm single and like the feel of a small condo and it offers separation of the den with sliding doors from the kitchen and of course the bedroom closes off also, so I have a three room mini-condo on wheels It works for me as one large open space would drive me crazy. However, if I had a significant other I may have selected a different unit. Pick the one that will fit your lifestyle and desires. The Montana has many floorplans to suit everyone. Again, welcome to forum...and good luck to you! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We have a new 3075RL. When we first saw the 3075 on a dealer lot back in late August we asked the sales guy if he would close the slides for us so we could see if there was access when in travel position. He told us there was no power to the rig so he couldn't close the slides but we would have full access with the slides closed. At the time it wasn't important because we hadn't settled on a Montana yet and still were shopping brands. We looked at some other more expensive manufactures but my wife had fallen in love with the 3075RL floor plan. In October when we had decided we wanted a Montana 3075RL there wasn't one anywhere near us to re-visit. We order our 3075RL at different dealer than where we had originally seen it. When we went to pickup our Monty it had all of the slides out and looked great but, when we closed the slides we couldn't get to the kitchen due to the dinning table. Our perfect floor plan wasn't perfect after all. Our first modification was to remove the screws holding down the table and now we turn the table 90 degrees for travel. We have complete access with all of the slides in! For us it is the perfect floor plan.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #17
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
Wow, thanks for all the replies. Do like the fact that several owners have figured a way to work around the inside to be able to use the interior. Guess living in an RV makes us very inventive. At the next show or dealer we come across, we'll have to take a longer look at the Montanas, you've really peaked our interest. Feel free to keep passing along your opinions.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with all the above. We picked up our 2007 3400RL this past July, and we have been fulltiming in it ever since. Wouldn't trade this Montana for anything. We love it. If we decided on another floor plan, it would still be a Montana. After our two years of research it is a slam dunk best bang for your buck/best support (Keystone)... PERIOD.

However, Diana, you will quickly find that this website is literally invaluable as a resource. Words cannot begin to descibe this, but you will find out what I mean.

We can access all important areas of our 5ver while traveling. When quick stopping overnight enroute somewhere, we use Wally World and Cracker Barrels, and run all four slides out. We do not stop overnight w/o running out the slides...

No access problems.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote