Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Disc brakes?

Has anybody upgraded their brakes to disc brakes? ...or even looked into it, and rejected the idea?

I'm getting interested in the aftermarket disc brakes offered by TowBrake International. Any feedback or comments would be welcome.

(Skip: if you read this, they are located in Hardy, AR, do you know of them by any chance?)

Thanks,

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I looked into it John, but backed out.

I was pursuing it through my original Al-Ko axles company. It would have replaced everything from the spindles out for about $1200 doing my own install. I just couldn't justify it as I would still end up with 6 lug wheels unless I added the cost of wheels and got the 8-lug rotors, and I still would have had Al-Ko axles. It just got worse from there and I figured I wasn't really gaining anything as I don't have any complaints with the existing brakes. (I do this to myself everyonce in a while)

I Never looked into the aftermarket disc conversions.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Trailer Life had an article on disc brakes last year. I don't have them and don't plan on putting them on since my experience is that I have good stopping ability. My F-350 weights 8000 pounds and pulling the 3475 that weights about 12,600 (actual weight loaded without water)--I have good stopping ability. The article said that if you install disc brakes, make sure to tie down everything in the RV because you will be stopping very quickly!

Tim
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I've looked into it, want it REAL bad, but can't justify the cost with the little that we actually get to use the camper right now. That said, have a cohort who did do the conversion last year -- think mor-ryde did the whole thing -- in fact they did because he also changed suspension(s) at the same time -- cost him plenty (8K for axles, suspension, brakes, etc.) but he swears by the brakes; in his words - difference between night and day in stopping power and minimal fading (he actually claims no-fades) during down-hill decents in Colorado Rockies. He and his wife go to their favorite place two to 3 times each summer -- they just got back 2 weeks ago -- but I ramble again .If you do a lot of traveling and especially mountain driving I don't think you'd go wrong with the upgrade. Just my .02 worth.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
As you know John, I did it. It cost me something over $6,200 but that included a new pin box. You can do it cheaper. I got the full 4 wheel independent suspension which is quite a bit more than the standard and I got the never-lube axles. I probably would not do that part again. I can't find my information but I'm guessing you could do this for about $3,500. I am more than happy with the combination and I won't own another trailer without disc brakes.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I will NEVER have another trailer WITHOUT disk brakes. Only had them for 6 months and 4000 miles.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote