Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Slideout awning cover

We have a 2005 2955 Monty and the large slideout cover has become shredded and needs replacement bad. It don't look like a hard job to replace but where can we buy a replacement fabric. We would appreciate any info as to where to buy one and approx cost. Thanks.

Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Camping World sells them.
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...d&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Try Tennessee Outdoors down at exit 322
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I got our replacement off of the net i will get you the site it also has instalation instructions
We replaced both in about a half hour need a peron on the roof another on a latter
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You can also buy it through your rv dealer although I don't know how the prices compare to other sources. You'll need the numbers off the sticker that is likely on the tube. And possibly the width measurement.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Go to
http://www.rv-motorhome-answer.com/r...ut-topper.html

Pick the brand and width has the prices-------- plus instalation instruction heaver fabric than OEM
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I called A&E and they ask for the number from the back of the awning where it attaches to the roller and they shipped one to me. There was a charge of course for the fabric and shipping but reasonable, I thought. If they are A&E try this http://www2.dometicusa.com/awnings.php?id=slideout
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Tom
I have replaced all my toppers and awning fabric.
I have A&E, But I went with Carefree Fabric because they have hemmed edges and A&E has cut edges. You have to ask for Carefree. You might
need to get the model and seriel #. To do this you will need to unroll the covers. This can be dangerous, you have to be up on a ladder with the slides out. Have a vise-grips pre-adjusted to clamp on to the roller arm. Unroll the cover until the fabric & cord are on top [rollers are spring loaded and you could hurt yourself if you are not careful].Clamp the vise-grips on to arm so the roller will not roll back. The numbers are on the aluminum roller.
To remove the fabric you will need to remove the two screws on each end of the track that holds the cord on the trailer side. Remove the tape on each end of the roller that hold the fabric. The fabric will slide out only one way and comes off very easy. Install the new fabric with the seams down. When the Fabric is in the proper place on the roller you can tape both ends with a good vinyl tape and tuck the ends under where the fabric will roll on top of it. Then you need to let the cover roll back slowly by holding the roller and releasing the vise-grips PLEASE BE CAREFUL now you adjust the inner cord and install the screws.
I replaced two of mine with very little help. You might need a hand lining up the cords in the tracks while you pull the fabric.
If you need more help you can PM me and I will call you.
Best of luck Mel
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent info, Joy! And it's sure good to see you posting again! We've missed you!

How about when we someday need to replace the fabric on our toppers I just give you a call and you come running to help?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Well Steve,
As much as I'd love to take the credit for all of that info...I can't. I just happen to me online and saw the posting about these awnings and dragged Mel over to the computer to see it as HE did just replace ours. He just forgot to sign the post personally, so everyone would know it was him posting.

To add to his post...I just want to remind everyone that Mel is a pretty big guy and although he did do most of the work, I had to help him a little bit with feeding the topper into the channel closest to the rig. But my main concern is that because of that spring being so tight on the roller, I would really recommend TWO people working on that part of the project! As strong as Mel is, he did struggle a little bit with that.

Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, then bring Mel with you when you come running to help us with ours.