Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 04:12 PM   #21
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
WOw, I have worked in occupational Health and have done lots of urine testing (wish I had a dollar for everyone I have done) and never have I seen an entire company get drug screened. This is great on the part of Keystone!!

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #22
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I find it hard to believe that the Amish folks who pretty much fill the ranks on the Montana line would be using drugs.

I wonder who works on the Laredo line.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #23
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
This may explain why we had 56 loose plumbing connections on our unit. Even the Montana service dept. couldn't believe it. I figured it was just produced before a major holiday weekend. We met a couple in a Big Sky whose experience with their unit was a horror story. They said it was made just before and after Labor Day a few years ago.

Kudos to Keystone for staying on top of this problem. Everyone had been forewarned so they made their own bad choices. It's always sad to hear how drugs change people's lives negatively.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #24
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
When we do ours, everyone on the grounds get tested, from boss to low man and every contractor on site, makes no difference. I would suspect that Keystone will be monitoring and testing other locations on a random, unannounced basis. If 1/3 of the employees in one plant tested positive, I would sure be looking at the other plants. Let's hope other manufactururs are looking at Keystone and following their lead. "Recreational chemicals" have no place in this competitive industry or any others. (Now off my soapbox)
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #25
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

I find it hard to believe that the Amish folks who pretty much fill the ranks on the Montana line would be using drugs.

I wonder who works on the Laredo line.

Steve
Well, I have heard of a few people who "escaped" the Amish life and had horror stories to tell... Greed, Power struggles, the works. You can wrap them up anyway you want, but people are people. There always at least a few bad apples. The basic driving forces and stresses that go with them are experienced by everyone to one degree or another.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #26
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Good point Eric. The truly dedicated employees remaining, in all likelyhood, will turn out a better product. There should be more job satisfaction and pride knowing that some slackard is out of there. (It's the why should I care attitude. The next guy is doped and will mess it up anyway.) I see this as an opportunity for Keystone to better an already very good product, no matter if it's Laredo, Montana or Cambridge. Go Keystone go.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #27
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Dear Members of MOC,

I have a correspondence from Keystone's Montana Division regarding the recent news being discussed here.

Quote:
quote:Keystone RV advocates a drug-free workplace for the safety and well-being of all our employees. Whereas many companies have such policies, we believe that enforcing these policies is a commitment we owe to our employees, their families and our community.

Upon receiving notice that there may be a potential problem in one of our facilities, we pro-actively requested these employees to submit to a random drug screen. Some failed the screen and some refused to take it, but a large majority took the test and are back at work today.

Keystone employs over 3000 employees. We are proud of the quality of our workforce and the policies that we've implemented to provide the work environment that these employees want.

Ironically, we have had a significant influx of applications from quality employment prospects in the last 2 days who would prefer to work at a company that believes and enforces a drug-free workplace.

Regards,

Jeff Rank

Montana

Lady RV
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:45 AM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for sharing that response, Lady RV. It's good to hear that Keystone is on top of this problem.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:21 AM   #29
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
The question came up about rv transport people haveing to take a drug test if they do not have a cdl license. The folks who transport your travel trailers to the rv dealerships are a lot of times just mom and pop out makeing a few extra dollars or out to see the country delivering your rv. The drivers still must pass the mdot physical which includes a drug test.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:21 AM   #30
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Just a quick note on the amish people. I grew up and run around with a lot of them. And until they join the church they are so wild. One of the girls use to carry hot pants and mid drift tank tops in a bag stuffed under the car seat of the boy friend, as soon as they were on the road it was strip time. The beer and pot were all part of it too. Once it was time to join the church it was back to being angels. They were all good friends but it was always funny to me.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:00 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I've read some novels about the Amish lifestyle which relate the same behavior you wrote about jsmitfl. It always seemed like a contradiction to their usual lifestyle. It's interesting to me to hear that it happens in real life, too. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #32
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
We were at the plant tuesday for a tour.You should have seen the hord's of people filling out applications.
tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know a lot about the Amish but my understanding is that at some age they are encouraged to go out and experience the world, then return to the fold if and when they are ready to make a full commitment to it. True or not, I don't know for sure. But this is what I've read and heard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was born and raised in western Pennsylviana.Lots Of Old Amish there and what you have heard is true. When they "come of age" they must choose.Have known lots of Amish folks both those who stayed and those who left..Many Amish worked for us and we Bought a lot of their farm goods.You hear the stories of how wild they can be and I am sure there is some truth to any story,,But I have to say that I never saw any of that. The worst was Drag racing their buggies and sneaking into dances on the weekends.They are in fact encouraged to experience the "English" ( that is what they call us) way of life so they can better make the choice.There are a lot of Amish here in Ohio also.,.In fact they built our little barn out back and they come around the local campgrounds in their buggies selling home made peach and Apple pies. They live a simple life..maybe even a better life..They are a good people.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am a retired Federal Employee..Was subject to random drug testing..Am now a School bus driver..Drug test every year to keep my ticket then random drug testing during the year.Hope Keystone does the same thing. Almost every employer does drug testing and random drug testing...and it works..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #36
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
My compliments to Keystone for acting on the advice of the local police and getting rid of the stoneheads. Stoneheads think they do good work, but, that's the problem they only "think" they do, they really don't. What's the old saying? "I have been down so long it looks like up to me".

I will say that I am a little amazed by 40 out of 120 in one plant testing positive (or refusing the test). That's kind of mind blowing!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #37
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I'm a retired school teacher. We had to also take random testing. Its not the drugs that have a strangle hold on our country but the users. They are a BIG drag on our society. Drugs are a bigger problems than anythingelse in our country!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #38
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
SAndreasen,
Is that a scooter I see hanging on the back of that Mountaineer? If so, how do you have the carrier mounted? I'd like to carry a scooter around with me when we travel.

Thanks,
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #39
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogersuemegan

Humm......maybe our new 3400RL has problems for a good reason. I say good for Keystone, there business would be in trouble if everyone that has purchased a new Montana in the last few months, have as many problems as we have.... they had to replace the counter top - it was warped... the closet doors in the entry were warped.. so they replaced them, our mattress had a spring come threw it in less than 2 weeks, and we are not big people and we are old!! so they replaced it. Our bathroom door had to be taken off and re-hung, our outside door wouldn't lock and they fixed that, and we are still having problems with the kitchen slide leaking when we travel when it is raining, we end up with water on the floor, and they have worked on that for 2 full days, and it still isn't fixed, and oh yes our power inverter burned out 2 days after we picked our new unit up. There was another couple in our winter FL park that bought the same trailer from the same dealer, 2 weeks after we did, and they were in theres 2 weeks when the power inverter went out. Please don't get me wrong... we love this unit, and when all the problems are fixed we will love it even more. We were unhappy with the dealer, out of Ocala FL., as the sales person couldn't do enough for us until he had the sale, but the service dept. were not at all helpful when we called with all these problems. It took us driving to the dealers and talking to them in person, 3 times- with everyone in the place hearing what was being said, we felt that they treated us like we were stupid and didn't know what we were talking about. We have had RV's for 30 years. Once we went there with our outfit and spent 4 days on there lot, they were very nice, and we did tell them that we wished that they had been like this from the start. We did not get angry, or yell, we just told them that we wanted it fixed or they could keep it. Maybe our purchase didn't make or brake the dealer, but it was a MAJOR purchase for us!

Sounds like a lot of your problems were too complex to be diagnosed over the phone. We are very familiar with the Montana dealer in Ocala
and have never had a service problem or an attitude problem. They have bent over backwards to take care of us and we regularly refer folks to them. The old saying goes, " you catch more flies with honey that you do with vineagar". It does seem there appears to be a number of power inverter problems out there.
We a problem with the shower door in our Big Sky. The sweep kept ripping off. Both the dealer and Keystone work diligently to find a solution.
We have seen this dealer take care of people who not even their customers with coustesy and in a timely fashion. This was the case on a Holiday Ramber A/C problem. I still fail see what all your comments had to do with the drug issue at Keystone. Just some food for thought.

wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #40
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Well, it’s been eye-opening.

At least Keystone won’t have to change to be extra special nice to us, since it’s been that way for the two years we’ve owned their products, anyway. I especially like the way they handle problems that I, myself have caused!

I guess drugs are happening in places I never suspected.

Sad.

Thanks to all at Keystone. And all, here. Because between you, our RVing experience has been a dream.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote