Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Toilet or piping leak

I opened up the trailer the other day, just to check things out. When I was inspecting the basement storage area, I noticed about a half a cup of pink antifreeze solution had accumulated right under the the large, black ABS toilet waste pipe. The toilet pipe has a 45 degree angle, then drops straight down. At the bottom of the 45 degree fitting, I noticed antifreeze. I have never had a leak before this. The black ABS piping appears tight, the toilet is secure also. Does anyone have an opinion what could be leaking or should I start to remove the toilet and check the gaskets or just replace the gaskets. I guess it could also be a pipe leaking. Your opinions would be appreciated.

nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I would start by running clean water into the toilet via the water supply. Assuming the black tank was empty throughout the winter it doesn't seem likely that it would have burst the drain line although the water supply line could have broke if the concentration of anti freeze wasn't strong enough.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If you have the same toilet I have then you should probably check the large hose clamp on the joint between the pedestal and the bowl. Make sure that is tight. If you left antifreeze in the bowl then chances are there was seepage in that gasket. If you didn't leave antifreeze in the bowl then go in and check around the toilet on the floor and you will probably find some pink residue on the floor under one of your water supply fittings. I have found that any water that hits the floor in the bathroom will leak down the front of that big black drain pipe in the basement.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Dave: Thanks. I did leave antifreeze in the bowl. How do I get to the large hose clamp at the joint between the pedestal and the bowl? Do I need to remove the toilet or just the plastic cover that goes over some of the fittings? Guess I could look at my manual for the toilet but did not want to open the slides to get it. Thought you might have experience with toilets per your recent postings. Glad everything worked out for you.

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If you have the same type toilet then there is a plastic U-shaped skirt around the front and sides of the base. It is held in with a piece of Velcro and is easily removed by pulling it forward. Teh screw on the large hose clamp in behind and beneath the bowl. When you remove the skirt you should see the front of the base pedestal, there may be a line of dried pink on the front or elsewhere on the pedestal. If that area is clean then look under the hose fittings for drips... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Thanks Dave. Tightened the band clamp but it appeared rather tight already. When the weather warms up, I will run clean water through it and check it out better.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Update to my March 24 posting regarding toilet leaking. I removed the toilet and rubber seal. Everything looked fine so I decided to remove the mounting flange attached to the floor. The flange is threaded to the waste piping below, in the basement storage area. Upon inspecting the threads, there was not much pipe sealant present and there was pink antifreeze in the threads. Cleaned out the old sealant and placed lots of pipe sealant on threads and reinstalled. When I reinstalled the floor flange, I through bolted the flange with stainless bolts and washers. Tested the connection with fresh water and no more leaks.