Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Geico RV Insurance

I’ve kicked National InsuranceGeneral to the curb and went with Geico, little better coverage and 30 bucks a month cheaper. I also changed my auto insurance to Geico from Progressive, Progressive was raising my rates 170 bucks per month lol, I have 4 vehicle insured no accidents, no tickets and 57 years old. Thieves

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Did the same with NG......went with Progressive and saved 500 a year compared to NG. For me Progressive was a lot cheaper than Geico. 5ver/Jeep Cherokee and Ford truck all full coverage.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We use USAA for vehicles, and Progressive for the fiver and our boat.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I left USAA insurance this year after 34 years with them. Had not compared for many years. Saved about 20% going to Geico for the same coverage on all my vehicles and home. So far very happy with Geico. Had no tickets and one small trailer claim in the last 5 years with USAA.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ok, folks for those that want to listen:
You are not buying a pound of potatoes or a loaf of bread. Comparing what you pay for insurance is a worthless exercise. Let me explain.

You are purchasing a contract. They vary greatly in terms of conditions and loss settlement provisions.

One policy might cover your rig for ACV (actual cash value) which in essence is the deprecated value.
We all know how much our rigs depreciated the minute we drove them off the lot

Another policy might cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, then revert to ACV in year 6

Yet another policy might cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, then revert to purchase price from year 6 into perpetuity .

Some policies can include modifications, personal property, full timers liability, awning wind damage. The list goes on and on.

Do you think that these policies that offer such different coverages would cost the same?
Further, you may have a really good contract and move to another company, losing all your benefits and not be able to re-obtain them.

How do I know this?....I am an insurance agent. My office is located in the middle of the firestorm in Santa Rosa, CA. I have more that 60 clients that escaped with just the shirts on their backs. They have lost everything. 6500 homes and thousands of cars are now just ash. Coverage is all of a sudden important. Good luck to those that bought insurance from 1800.......

I have been advising clients, my own and anyone else that will listen for 45 plus years.

just sayin.......your premiums are important to your budget, I get that. Your coverage is far more important when you are faced with a loss.

Lastly, and I'll get off my soap box, promise....do you think for one second that those that "can save you 15% or....." have one thought or concern about providing you with the best policy commensurate with your needs?

Normally that have ZERO loss settlement options and will not take the time to analyze what you have and what your going to be buying or replacing. Did they ask to read your contract?They might take the time to get you the same limits or deductibles but that's it.

They focus on one thing...price. Which is what most of the public focus in on too....until you're faced with a loss, then no one cares how much they paid, just how much is covered.

Thieves? One of my clients just took delivery of his new replacement RV after his burned....his cost, zero. 100% covered by insurance.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
GEICO for us was with USAA for many years and saw nothing but rate creep with ZERO claims. Rates are great for vehicles and the Montana.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have had Geico full-timers coverage for 6 years and am very happy with it. We are covered for full replacement first 5 years and purchase price after that. Of course we also have the usual liability coverages, comprehensive, etc. and also full coverage on the F350. Any rate increases over the years have been VERY MINOR. Had Progressive prior to Geico and they kept going up up up even with NO claims.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I find that most insurances lure you in with a "Deal of a Price" for coverage. Then they have an auto inflation factor up to 4%, usually 3rd year the prices creep up. I've been with Geico since the 80's and they just increased my policy by $20 a month. No explanation! I'm ticked about it, but I'm not willing to jump ship just yet and will see how things ride out. Every utility has been increased lately and it's hard to control your expenses for the most part.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Shame so many companies work harder to lure new customers than keep old ones. Insurance companies, cell phone providers, cable and sat TV plus many others are all the same with their marketing. It pays to compare regularly and switch or call and threaten to switch if they will not adjust price.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
You are not buying a pound of potatoes or a loaf of bread. Comparing what you pay for insurance is a worthless exercise. Let me explain.

You are purchasing a contract. They vary greatly in terms of conditions and loss settlement provisions.

One policy might cover your rig for ACV (actual cash value) which in essence is the deprecated value.

Another policy might cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, then revert to ACV in year 6

Yet another policy might cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, then revert to purchase price from year 6 into perpetuity .

Some policies can include modifications, personal property, full timers liability, awning wind damage. The list goes on and on.

Do you think that these policies that offer such different coverages would cost the same?
Further, you may have a really good contract and move to another company, losing all your benefits and not be able to re-obtain them.

How do I know this?....I am an insurance agent. My office is located in the middle of the firestorm in Santa Rosa, CA. I have more that 60 clients that escaped with just the shirts on their backs. They have lost everything. 6500 homes and thousands of cars are now just ash. Coverage is all of a sudden important. Good luck to those that bought insurance from 1800.......

I have been advising clients, my own and anyone else that will listen for 45 plus years.

just sayin.......your premiums are important to your budget, I get that. Your coverage is far more important when you are faced with a loss.

Lastly, and I'll get off my soap box, promise....do you think for one second that those that "can save you 15% or....." have one thought or concern about providing you with the best policy commensurate with your needs?

Normally that have ZERO loss settlement options and will not take the time to analyze what you have and what your going to be buying or replacing. Did they ask to read your contract?They might take the time to get you the same limits or deductibles but that's it.

They focus on one thing...price. Which is what most of the public focus in on too....until you're faced with a loss, then no one cares how much they paid, just how much is covered.

Thieves? One of my clients just took delivery of his new replacement RV after his burned....his cost, zero. 100% covered by insurance.

Ken
Ken, I always appreciate your comments and the sharing of your expertise. It's really not that complicated if people just take the time to read and understand their coverage. Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post

Ken
I let my insurance agent wife read your post, she agrees the price is secondary to total coverage. Note; I don`t insure my new rear den with her, much better coverage else where for a slightly higher cost.
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I think most are pretty intelligent people and understand policy’s and coverages, also intelligent people know how to shop for insurance, it’s pretty easy to compair coverages when shopping. It’s not ok to just raise rates on long term costumers that have excellent driving records, it’s not ok to raise rates because insurance companies apply to the states insurance commission to do so. I do agree comparative shopping is a must when shopping.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Geico doesn't do agreed value policies, only actual cash value policies which means they can depreciate the hell out of your RV.
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have a full replacement policy with Geico for 5 years and then for the next 3 we get the full price of our rig back in the event of a total loss.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
That's if its totaled, anything less gets depreciated! So for instance if a tree falls on the back of your 5er and they replace the parts, they'll depreciate the parts depending on age plus your deductible. So if its a 10k repair they might only pay 8k and you're responsible for the rest!
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote