Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
2 year RV manufacturer warranty

I just became aware of two year warranties being offered by some RV Manufacturers such as: Jayco, KZ, Carriage, Forest River, Crossroads all have 2 year warranties.

Wonder if Montana is giving that any consideration?

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This question comes up at every Rally we've had. Montana has stated that all they are prepared to offer at this time is the current one year warranty. But every day brings change. Perhaps one of these days Montana will move to the two year warranty.

Considering some of the items they have repaired and or replaced on various units over the years they almost have, in effect, a multi year warranty. The problem with that approach is that your unit might not get that "extended" attention. It would be much better if they adopted the two year warranty.

Thank you,

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think Keystone may have to do that to stay competitive. It has been the experience of many, Including myself, that Keystone has been very liberal with the one year warranty. IMO it would be very easy for Montana to go to a 2 year warranty. I had but one problem during the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty period( a big one."the melt down) All others were vendor related and would have been covered under the vendor warranty. Two issues that were bumper to bumper related were covered by our extended service contract.As matter of fact in terms of"major failures" our out of pocket expenses have been 100.00 (2 50.00 deductibles) in 33 months.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When companies add value without appreciably elevating their cost, they win. They win the PR campaign in advertising. They gain customer confidence. I think it would add a new level to quality control also. It is really a small thing in the economy of the company, but a large thing to prospective customers to have a two-year warranty.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stiles,

Well said. I had not thought of it from a quality point of view. But it makes a lot of sense. And you are right it is a big thing from the consumer point of view.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Stiles,

That was very well said!

That is part of the reason that one of the products that Gail and I will be considering at retirement on our "short list" that I have referred to, is from the company inwhich I am employed. Our second year warranty is offered to retail customers for a mere $150.00 at time of purchase.

I am truely not looking forward to the decision I may have to make when that time comes.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When my shinny new Ford has a problem during the 3 year 36K mile Bumper to Bumper warranty we take it to the Ford dealer not one of the many vendors that build parts for the Ford. We do not say it is the vendors fault not Ford's. Of course any Rv can not be compared with the engineering, design and quality of any truck manufacturer.But why the difference???? Ford also offers a ESP plan which is a extension of the Ford Warranty..not cheap but they are not afraid to offer it...why is that????? The Rv industry Builds a product that satisfies the demands of the average RV user. I am NOT the average RV user and I expect to see more problems (and we have) than the average RV user.We had very few problems (less that 5 total) on our previous 4Rv's when we were average RV users.We knew this when we purchased this RV and there have been no surprises.Not saying we are happy campers...but we are not shocked or surpised. I do not think the Rv inustry will ever build a product to the standards of the few( other than custom builds)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote