Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I am looking to buy SOB very soon....

I'm sorry for the tease.

No, not to replace my Montana...In addition to my Montana! We've decided that until my wife retires in several years, we need a "weekender" bumper pull for those 2 or 3 day trips in the mountains where I'm not about to pull my 3400 RL.
We've done backpacking tents, but heck, I'm going on 61 now, and the ground just keeps getting less and less comfortable.
So, we're now looking for a 19'-21' range bumper pull to augment the big brother Montana.
I can only guess what my neighbors will be saying when they see another trailer at my house. But, after a few years, the bumper pull will be sold, and we'll be in the Montana for months at a time, instead of weeks.

Now, I just have to figure out which one I like and can afford.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We traded a Rockwood for our Monty and were sorry to see it go. It was a great weekender for us, but couldn't cut the mustard as a full time rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Not to be promoting another Keystone product, but the Keystone Cougar is one of the more popular brands out there. We started out with a "pull" Cougar. It was very nice, but after a year, decided we needed something bigger, hence the move to Montana. We were going to sell our Cougar outright, but the dealer flat begged us to trade it to him, and he gave us top dollar. He later told us that the Cougar is so popular, it wouldn't be on his lot more than two weeks....and it wasn't.

But, it's your choice. There are other good ones out there too.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Made this same move 5 years ago by adding a full fiberglass, no slide 25' TT to our stable and then replaced a 34' Airstream with a Montana 3700. Am now in the Bigfoot 25RQ in Southern Fla with DW and two Golden Retrievers and couldn't be happier. Spend most days outside playing and during the few times that it rains we head off to a museum, flea market or outlet complex.

I love my Montana, but it has a somewhat limited travel utility and due to its complexity is prone to breakdowns and/or mechanical annoyances, e.g., awning motor, broken Thetford toilet, non-working water heater, etc. Plus, since the beginning of October we have stayed in several parks, for example, along the Natchez Trace Pkwy, De Soto County Park, and Myakka SP where it would've been a little dicey wedging into the few spots available for reservations.

My wife originally thought I was totally nuts when I took three days off work to travel many miles to come up with the TT listed above. At the time, it became our fourth RV, but after selling or updating the fleet, I believe we are now well situated for the next few years.

Lastly, I think that your plan is a good one, but suggest you rethink your size limits. From my direct experience after traversing the Country in a Scamp for 5 years, I urge you to shoot for something in the 23-27 foot range, with a walk around bed. Trust me on this one.

Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:40 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Good tease, but sounds like a really good plan. We have often thought of buying a truck camper and getting away without the Monty once in awhile.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
We have a truck camper for our quick weekend getaways or small spot camping. I can't tell you how nice it is to just drive and not worry about a thing (other than height). I can camp anywhere and go almost anywhere. Longest outing was a month with three of us. That was way too long for 3 people but the DW and I would have been just fine.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 AM   #7
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Mark,
We have done the same. DW had been wanting something smaller (and funky) that she can handle and go with her girl friends on occasion. I like new, high tech, she likes old and "fun". About a year ago, we went through all the Airstreams at a dealer close by. When she asked what I thought, I said that not one would work for me....not one had a chair...I don't like couches.

Well, she found a 2013 Keystone Vantage, 29' bumper pull. The Vantage wasn't made for long as it was an Airstream knock off that just didn't go over. I was able to add 2 lazy boy recliners in the back...she was able to decorate it in a vintage license plate theme and we're all happy. The other benefit is that we have 3 grown children and 6 (soon to be 7) grandchildren. We also have a tent trailer so all the families can go camping together.

Not too many comments from the neighbors but we do get teased now and then for our RV park!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I too have second for my hunting and weekending its a fuzion toy hauler 2010 still a keystone product but perfect for my needs. It has a garage to put my quad in and all my decoys then it also is a bunk house when everything is moved out has 2 slides bedroom and living will sleep 6 if needed. On board Gen plus inverter system fits my needs well. I can have two muddy dripping worn out labs after duck hunting all day and just hose it out. So you might look around for a toy hauler if you go to the extremes I do. I got mine at a crazy price couldn't pass it up.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote