Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
jimfvbarb

M.O.C. #16034
Black Tank Failures

I have just had a third Black tank installed in my 2010 Montana fifth wheel. The factory installed tank failed several months after purchase but it took several years for the problem to come to a head. It was cracked on top along a support wing and only leaked when the tank was completely full, which was not often. the only indication a problem existed was a faint sewer odor in the living area. That tank was replaced last summer by the dealer from which the trailer was purchsed.
Three months after that installation the new tank failed again. This time the 2 inch vent pipe came loose from the tank. I called the tank manufacturer and was told that they recommend that thier tanks should be supported not only by the side wings but should also have 2 inch straps supporting the bottom every 18 inches minimum. Keystone chooses not too use the bottom support straps. I believe this issue indicates a trend of keystone marginally engineering components in order to save a few dollars only to transfer major costs to the end user.
I had a similar experience with an axel on the same trailer. After wearing out several sets of tires, I had the axels checked and discovered the back axel to be bent. I called Dexter the Axel manufacturer and found again that Keystone had them reduce the axel tube wall thickness in order to save $50 per axel. My replacement axel cost me $1000. Setting in an RV service center is not the way I want to spend my quality years.

jimfvbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Jim,

I totally understand. If keystone can get it past the one year, they are done. Understand a lot of their customers only use them a few weeks a year. Those of us that spend months a year in them have more failures.

It is not if, but when we have a tank failure, I will fix the tank, provide proper support and be done with it. But, the wife loves the trailer and I am shopping for a pusher, we'll see what happens first.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote