Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Satellite Radio

I have a truck that came with XM radio. For a few reasons I have wanted to switch to Sirius. It would cost significant $ to do a conversion. I don't want to have to do that. XM and Sirius announced a merger over a year ago. It was pending FCC approval at that time. I have heard nothing more in the meantime. XM customer service is in Singapore, and I don't like trying to translate my questions for their CS reps. I was always hoping the merger would become final and a subscriber could choose from the programming from both sides with the same equipment.
Does anyone have any insight into this situation that would enlighten me? I am planning on dropping my XM sub for now, as I do not utilize it enought to justify the expense.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
What is the "significant $ to do a conversion"? You simply buy a Sirius receiver and plug it into your radio, then purchase a subscription to Sirius. That's all I did when I switched from XM to Sirius. There was no "conversion" involved nor were there any fees to switch.

tc

Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Clyde n Deb,
Tincup703 is correct about simply purchasing a Sirius receiver. It would however be external to your built-in XM receiver that came with your TV.

Posted below is a link to the status of the XM/Sirius merger with other links from there that may interest you including what the merger will accomplish, pricing and satellite station selections.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/02/...-and-xm-c.html

My guess is the XM receiver you now have in your TV will be compatible once the merger is activated with Sirius programming that you will be able to choose. Good Luck
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Gary: It was about a year ago when my subscription last came up for renewal, that I checked into this. I believe the conversion was going to run between $200-300. It involved a plug in converter that would mount under the dash and an additional external antennae on the roof, with an exposed wire running to it. My existing antennae was incompatible in all the scenarios I checked into. There were no conversion fees from one company to the other, just canceling one and starting a sub to the new one. Dennis: I hope your last statement is correct, that's pretty much what I've been holding out for.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Not to belabor the point but the link I sent in my previous post on this subject indicates what I wrote in my post. It was taken from that blog. There is of course other links I'm sure that you can search on the XM/Sirius merger besides what I found. It seems to make sense that the merger would want to bring in customers and not alienate them. Each one has unique channels that the other doesn't offer.The price seems to be about the same that is currently offered. Let's hope. I like Sirius for NASCAR and some football. XM has hockey and being a Southerner we don't have many rinks that stay frozen here...Just kiddin'.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I hope the merge happens too. I have Sirius on the TV and XM in our 2nd car. We had Dish in our last TT which also had Sirius. I have an XM SKYFi2 (uses a car kit and/or home kit) that I now take in the Monte and also use at the house. We are in a somewhat remote area of Northern California where radio receiption is very poor so for me, satellite radio is the ticket!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote