Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Montana_6246

M.O.C. #6246
Propane Oven? Opinions, please.

We are ordering a new fifth wheel and are planning on full timing. Do you really need the propane oven or is the 1/2 time oven plenty?
We are so used to having an oven and don't know whether we'll miss it. Do you fultimers that have them use them or those of you that don't have them miss having one? Thanks for your opinions.

Montana_6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I haven't used my oven in my previous or current trailer. I do full-time and only use the 1/2 time or convection oven. What I like about the convection oven is the fact you set it and it turns off on its own. Any gas/propane oven you have to keep track of the time so you won't burn or over cook something. I wish Montana had an option where you can get a dishwasher in place of the oven...because I would have opted for the dishwasher. I hate washing dishes...that's why I use paper plates most times...but you still have wash the pots...grrrrrhhhh But, since I do have the oven, I use it for storing pots....and you never know if you ever plan on cooking a BIG meal that would require the use of both the convection and propane, like baking a pie and baking a roast at the same time for a holiday feast....so it's better to have and not use it than maybe need it and not have it. decisions, decisions, decision
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
We have been in our Monti for 7 months and have used the gas oven one time just to see how it worked. We use the 1/2 time oven all the time. We could do without the oven and not miss it at all.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ann uses the oven all the time. We have a temp guage in it and it is also accurate. She says a pizza stone on the bottom rack above the burner distributes the heat better and things don't burn on the bottom.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We agree with SCOOBDOO, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. We use ours, but as of yet, we haven't used the 1/2 time oven, not even to see if it worked. I think Vanessa is afraid of it, lol.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I use it all the time. I also use the 1/2 time all the time. Wouldn't be without either. We do full time. One thing you have to remember is that if you try to put a 9x12 pan in the 1/2 time, there is not enough room for it to turn on the turntable. I use the 9x12 every time we go to a pot luck and when you are fulltiming, you do that a lot, especially if you go to any rallies.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
I use the oven frequently; don't have a 1/2 time or convection oven. Ours is a plain old microwave - use it alot, mostly for reheating and popcorn. We did buy a small "toaster" oven which is about the same size as the propane oven in the Monty. I use that when the weather is good and can plug it in outside so I don't heat up the Monty. I can bake, cook pizza, roast, etc., in it. It even has a rotisserie (haven't tried it yet). I agree with having it in case you need it. As SKOOBDO said, you can always use it to store your pots and pans!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We've had ovens in truck campers, TT, MH, and the Montana...very seldom use the oven, other than for storage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I use the oven all the time, have a piece of Mexican quarry tile in the bottom for heat distribution, and temps are very good. I make cakes, lasagna, pizza, you nmae it I have probably baked it in there. You can even broil in the very bottom for doing garlic french bread. Love it
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I also use my constantly. Like everyone says, get a pizza stone or something like it. Cooks much more evenly!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I like to use yhe oven, especially on those rare rainy days. Nothing like a good casserole or even roasting quail in the oven giving off great homey smells.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We use our oven all of the time, especially since we have our new Tana with the 1/2 time convection microwave. We store onions, sweet potatoes, regular spuds, and other goodies that don't need refriging. We did actually use the propane oven once, about six months ago for an actual oven to bake a pizza. Would loved to have made it into a freezer.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I use ours quite often, but it is the only oven we have other than a toaster oven.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We also use our oven wheever it is needed, ie. baking cookies and cake, french fries, you know what I mean. unless you have a gen set where you can use the confection oven during a power outage, you will have to use the BB-Q or the fire pit
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #15
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
After 16 months, we have never used the oven except for storage. I am considering taking it out, putting in a cooktop with a dishwasher underneath. Should only cost about $5-600, so I need to start saving. I would use the dw much more than the oven. I still get the great smells from the 1/2 time, but I get to eat it much sooner (yippee!!).
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I don't know....I'll have to ask my girlfriend
[if you know what I mean]

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigbob7777

After 16 months, we have never used the oven except for storage. I am considering taking it out, putting in a cooktop with a dishwasher underneath. Should only cost about $5-600, so I need to start saving. I would use the dw much more than the oven. I still get the great smells from the 1/2 time, but I get to eat it much sooner (yippee!!).
I second that! I'm considering the same thing.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #18
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I guess we are part of the crowd that loves the prophane oven. It gets use a lot at the VA Samborees as our chapter sells baked potatos at the samborees to raise money for local charities. Other than that, it becoms a storage area for breads. And occasional cassorrole. The half time oven is used for most of the dinners.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:00 AM   #19
Montana_4432

M.O.C. #4432
We have been full timing for 10 years now, and are in our 3rd rig. I rarely use my propane oven. I have a convection oven with 2 racks that I have sitting on top of my stove. It's just the 2 of us, so anything I cook certainly fits in it. (Just last night, I made a leg of lamb with pan brown potatoes...delish!) Unless you are having company and need to cook something large, you don't need to use the big oven. Most places we have stayed, either overnight or on a monthly basis, the electric is included in the fee. Why use propane that you have to pay for and bring the tanks up to be filled, when you can use the convection oven for free? I use my microwave to cook my veggies, thus eliminating the need to use the propane stovetop. The only time I cook with propane is when we are having company and are not grilling outside. I, too, use it to store pots, pans and trays.
Montana_4432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 AM   #20
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
greytdogs,
We're not fultimers so our opinion may not count here but when we ordered our trailer in 04 the rv industry had problems with the TI igniters for all the gas ovens and most rv manufactors shipped the combination microwave/convection ovens instead of the gas. This has worked out great for us as we have all that extra space to store the pots and pans under the gas cooktop and have used the convection anytime we would have wanted to use the oven. If we were to fultime we'd never bother with the oven.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote