Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Closet door latch

Okay I see from some past posts that some of you have had trouble with the closet door latch. One of mine broke today from to much force and I see that someone said you can get them at camping world. I looked there online and do not see them listed. Anybody have a clue if they list them online or do they just have them in there store. Thanks Al.

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I bought my replacements at a local RV supply store. If you can't find any, let me know and I will see if they have a catalog number I can send you.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
If you are talking about the little plastic clamps for the sliding closet doors, I have replaced mine more than once. I have bought them at two different RV dealers. Seems like something they all carry. I think they run about $4 or $5 a pair. I have had do move mine from where the factory had them as they were not aligned correctly. One was hard against the shelf and would force the door out and finally broke.
Good luck
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I am in the process of replacing one of mine that broke. I got the replacements at a local RV Store. They came in a box of two labled "RV Replacement Hardware - Mirror Door Lock (LEG), 31-9014. I would point out that you should take your old one or the other good one to the store with you. There are a few sizes and they all look the same but only one will work. I am taking the ones I just described back because they are too small. I am putting them on my 2007 3075RL. Too soon to be breaking.Good luck
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
A little trick to keep them from breaking. When you go to unlatch the door, push it closed as much as it will go and hold it while you unlatch. This takes the pressure off the latch. Kind of the same as that 1 inch you have to back up to release the hitch. Also as Vicki Reigle has said, reverse(left to right, right to left) them when parked and then you only use the latch when you set up and take down. It is always on our list for making ready to travel.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We bought replacements at an RV dealer several years ago but still have not needed them. I suspect alignment is a big factor in them breaking. In this Montana those latches are much more difficult to operate than in our previous rig. I suspect alignment but haven't yet checked that.

Has anyone come up with a better latching system for those doors? I'd be interested.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Steve - We also found that the latches on our 2006 were stiffer than the 2003 2955. I finally just removed them and replaced them with a strip of Velcro about 2" long - end of problem, and they hold very well and have never come unlatched, even over some extremely rough roads in Alaska and Yukon this summer.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys did you know that CW keeps it in stock in 20 ft strips. The will cut it at necessary and it was only about 50 cents for both. Just in case you are stopping by one for something else, just ask.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimc

Steve - We also found that the latches on our 2006 were stiffer than the 2003 2955. I finally just removed them and replaced them with a strip of Velcro about 2" long - end of problem, and they hold very well and have never come unlatched, even over some extremely rough roads in Alaska and Yukon this summer.
Really like the Velcro idea. We've replaced ours once already and now we need to replace them again. We winter camp and go out in the camper all year long while it is parked here at the house. I'm guessing the extreme temps have something to do with it as well???

As others have mentioned while parked we no longer latch ours but reverse the doors. It has saved them even though this new set was stiffer they did last over twice as long as the first ones in our early 2003 Big Sky.

The Velcro would also save the brass colored paint from wearing off where they do sit. Great idea and thanks for sharing.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote