Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Another mail forwarding qustion

Last year was our first winter long timing it. We used USPS premium mail forwarding service. It worked well but at $15 to sign up and $13 weekly, expensive.

We thought we might try a TCOA (temporary change of address) as we plan to stay away longer this winter. Big difference in price, however, only first class mail and periodicals are forwarded.

Have others done this? We aren't full timers and as such don't see the need for a commercial forwarding service, or am I wrong?

PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Do you plan on sitting in one campground all those months??

When we are going to move about a lot, we have all mail forwarded to our children, they hold most of it till we return, what little we really need, we have them mail to us.

If you change your address with the Postal system too many times in a short period of time (like 6 months) because you are moving around, I have heard it can do icky things to your credit scores.

When we know we are going to sit in one campground for 3 to 6 months, we have the mail forwarded there for the entire time, then change back to our stick built when we head that way.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
We will be at the same place for 4 months.

Having mail forwarded to my son wouldn't work. I can only imagine the problems that would be created when changing back to our stick house. He is a Jr. and often times doesn't use it. I can envision receiving all his mail when we change back.

Once we had family stay with us, when they returned to Oklahoma ALL the mail went there, they would then send ours back to Massachusetts for us. Does wonders for paying bills on time.

Sounds as if the address change is the way to go, thanks
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
For the last several years I worked at a post office at our winter location. Most of the snowbirds that only went to that park and back home again use a temp change of address form. A lot of times the park you are going to will retain your same box # from year to year and if you let them know you are on your way will hold any incoming for your arrival. Also we tell our guests to let family and friends know of your winter address and it is super to get holidays cards and such while you are sunning in the desert. We also put our winter address in as an alternative so when ordering from amazon and such it is a simple order process. Hope this helps. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337

"Having mail forwarded to my son wouldn't work. I can only imagine the problems that would be created when changing back to our stick house. He is a Jr. and often times doesn't use it. I can envision receiving all his mail when we change back."

There is something to be said for NOT naming the sprouts after dad!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
PatnRich-- You are totally right about having your mail forwarded to your son especially since he is Jr. Nothing but problems there when you have it forwarded back to your stick from your sons. I carried mail for 28 years and would work with my patrons when they would "snowbird" but I personally would go the "temp. forward" route! It is expensive to do the premiem mail forwarding route and your carier doesn't see a bit of it but does all the work. If I was still in the PO, I'd still work with my patrons and possibly suggest the "flat rate" shipping. If the carrier would work with you, he/she could forward all your mail weekly in a box for one flat rate no matter how much it weighed up to 65 lbs. This is ONLY if you have a good carrier that works with his/her patrons and you can trust him/her to do it! I'd pay for the postage and the patron would send me the money when he/she received the package I would send! Now this is me and what I used to do. This is not saying it would work for you or if your carrier would actually do this for you! Some just don't want to get involved!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have our mail sent to the neighbors for the 6 months we are usually gone. Most all of our bills we pay on line so only certain types of mail is then sent to us. Property tax bill, vehicle insurance etc. It dosen't cost anything to get it changed and changing it back is no problem.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We just have our mail forwarded to a p o box ...it has worked fine for us and no problems.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
USPS will do a temporary change of address for the 4 months..no problems....However..do NOT do it online do it at your local Post office with the change of address form they provide. The online form for whatever reason will NOT forward to a commercial/business address which many campground are. We do it evey year when we winter in Florida.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Some great advice to many for temp address changes. One idea not mentioned is magazines or newspapers being forwarded under a temporary change with the USPS. I suggest you contact any magazine company and give them your new address and then change it back when you return home. Keep in mind magazines are only forwarded whether temporary or permanent for 60 days. After that they are discarded for Temp orders and changed for Permanent orders. Most mags have 800 numbers for just such a change in the front of their magazines.

One comment on Richfaa suggesting not to file online for commercial address if it's an RV park. Simply file with your name and the actual address and leave out the RV park name. If you are assigned a site number include it in your street address line. It does however, cost $1.00 to file on line.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dennis...."One comment on Richfaa suggesting not to file online for commercial address if it's an RV park. Simply file with your name and the actual address and leave out the RV park name. If you are assigned a site number include it in your street address line. It does however, cost $1.00 to file on line.

That will not work. I did exactly that on the online form just our name and the address of the rv park and it was rejected as a Business address. You can try it however as you will be rejected and no harm done or if it is not a business address it will go through.

I called the USPS 800 number on the online form and the person I spoke to was aware of that problem. I suggested he put in a suggestion as that rule will affect thousands of snowbirds.
He also advised that I do the change at the local P.O...does not make sense..
Old 10-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I did it on-line, did not use the parks name, I did use the street address and it worked. The only problem I found was my site# was left off the address label they generate to forward the mail. The Park office staff knew us so they put our mail in the correct box. Suggest you contact the RV park and see if they are having any problem with getting this setup for their area.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The problem is how the RV park is listed in the USPS data base. If it is listed as a business or commercial address the online method will not work no matter how you enter the address. I would suggest you try the online method as it is easier. If it goes through you are good. When you enter the address and hit enter you will either get a reject msg or it will go through.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
A temporary change of address was just filed online by me with #341 (site number) right after the street address and it was accepted. The RV park is a business. I will look at the yellow labels when we receive forwardable mail to see if #341 was left off of the label. It maybe only those folks leaving from the Cleveland area going to Florida!! As they say, what da ya expect from the PO??
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a mystery. We did call the PO 800 number to inquire why we could not file online and was told as we indicated. When ???we entered our name and the C,G address it was rejected as a business address..???
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just a point, I never give our forwarding service our site number simply because we set up the mail forwarding before we know what site we will be in. The rv parks always handle it just fine.

However, I have found sometimes an rv park wants mail sent to a different address than the one shown on their website. So I always ask if it is ok to have mail sent to them and then ask for the address I should use. Maybe 2 or 3 times we've been told to use general delivery at the local post office. All the others accept our mail.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Many parks sort the mail by last name not site. When I order something I put the site number after my name because the PO often does not recognize the site number as a valid address.
Happy trails............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Many parks sort the mail by last name not site. When I order something I put the site number after my name because the PO often does not recognize the site number as a valid address.
Happy trails............
Sue, That is a GREAT idea! Thanks......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
The mail forwarding yellow sticker on our mail forwarded does include #341 as we filed on the change of address. Historically, if you have a lot number, site number, apartment number as part of your address, include it. Most parks, condo grouping, whatever, in this type category are businesses. The data base for the USPS addressing includes such numbering. Not sure how this info got misintrepeted that such site or lot numbers should not be included. Leaving the Park name off is fine.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Dennis - last year I did include the site# on the address line for my temp address change and it was left off the yellow sticker. Others had the same problem. Evidently they fixed the problem or you coded it differently than I did? Using the site# after your name is a good idea too.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote