Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
clbrandt
Established Member

M.O.C. #9804
Send a message via MSN to clbrandt
Trailer wiggle when setup

On our 342pht there is a lot of side-to-side sway when, setup? I purchased two X-chalks and they keep the trailers front to back movement down but I still have the side-to-side movement. I have looked at several options for stopping the side-to-side movement. The option that I am looking at is the Winfield cross stabilizers (www.winfieldrvproducts.com.) since the other options seem to be both more expensive and may not do the job because of the siding bumper bike rack on our Mountaineer. Has anyone purchased this Winfield system, if so where did you get it and more important does it do the job? Scott at Winfield told me that he could let it go for $180.00 plus shipping is that a good price? Thanks for your help.

I didn't have this problem with my travel trailer but then again it wasn't this nice either.

clbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I use the JT Stablizers and they work great. After you put down the rear stablizers and put the slides out do you go back and check the stablizers again as the slides moving out will make an effect on the side with the least amount of slides could also try a kingpin stablizer
Old 10-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
clbrandt
Established Member

M.O.C. #9804
Send a message via MSN to clbrandt
Hi Greg I have tried the King pin stabilizer and it is just too much work and does not do the job. I am looking for something that permanently attaches to the trailer where I do not have to spend hours setting up. The JT system is good but I cannot use it because I have a rear sliding bumper/Bike rack and it is expensive.
clbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, and alot of others in the MOC use the JT's, solid as a rock, well almost anyway. I really think you need something on the rear also as that seems to be where a lot of sway comes from. Perhaps mounting the JT's a little further inboard would work. I don't know what a sliding bumper is so not sure what could be offered. MorRyde makes a set of stabilizers similar to the JTs. You might check them out at www.morryde.com.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Steadyfast makes one also.

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I also use the JT Strongarms. Work great. Used a tripod for a year before installing the JTs. No comparison at all.
Looking at the Winfield website, it appears they only have front side to side bracing. No front to rear bracing. And I can see no indication they have braces for the rear stabilizers. They would probably provide some stability. But I don't think they would be near as good as the JTs or similar brands that provide the additional bracing.
You might contact JT and see if there is some work-around for your rear bumper/bike rack.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Check out Trailer Life this month. In the 10 minute Tech section, there is a plan for a stabilizer setup that seems pretty reasonable, but you have to fabricate some pieces yourself.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
I also found Wayne's Stabilizer system but haven't bought them.
http://www.waynesrvstabilizer.com
Would like any feedback if anyone has used them.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I installed the Steadyfast system mentioned above. It's an easy installation, excellent instructions. Very easy to setup when you park, takes about 45 seconds, only 3 knobs to tighten. They have been selling for $285 including shipping. Call and tell him your from the MOC and he may give you a 10% discount
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
i made one like JT Stablizers for my old montana and it worked great , iam fixing to make a new one for this montana and iam making it like the Winfield cross stabilizers, iam wanting to see whats the differance will post later after i install them and let everone know what i fell about them...
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I made my own stabilizers. Kinda copied the JT Strongarm. They work great. It also allowed me to get rid of that big bulky tripod I had. They work wonders for the wiggle.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #12
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We will be parked for 5 months in one spot this winter and I am pretty handy. Sure would like pictures and/or description of home made stabilizers. I have alwasy wanted to try cables.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
i made mine like the JT stabilizers also sorry i didnt take any pictures but look at the JT pictures and iam sure your handy you can make something like it............
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I can't see how the cable system is going to help in all directions as its good pulling but nothing on the push end of the unit so soon you have a lot of cable to get every angle there is ,, the jt's are the best i found but you have to jack them up,about 3/8 of a inch or so on all legs ,,, after you titen the wing bolts,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #15
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I use the SteadyFast system and I am very pleased with the results. I also reinforce the side braces on the rear stabilizer leveling jacks. They just were not heavey enough to suit me. I kept bending them. I need to buy one more set of elephant ear pads for the jack pads and mine will be all set. Keep forgetting to get them... Part of geting older I guess.... JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is no way you can eliminate all bounce in these things short of putting them on a foundation. As long as the suspension is on the ground it will bounce.As long as we have slide outs hanging out over the frame it will move side to side a bit. We do have the JT stabilizers and when they are set up according to instructions they help a lot. We also put a couple of pyramid jacks at the rear of the 3400 and behind the rear axle wheels. Solid as a rock.....no..but we are very steady. No movement when we move around.. slight movement when the W/D is on high spin.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote