Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Blord
Established Member

M.O.C. #7545
Kitchen faucet

I just came back from a 2000 miles jaunt in a new 3500RL. I had problems with the kitchen faucet either air locking or pressure locking. If I turned the faucet on too quickly -OR- on full the system would start thumping, the water from the faucet turned on/off, and then it would lock up so there was no water at all. To get water flowing again I had to turn off the water supply and open another faucet to remove the pressure. Then I could use the kitchen faucet up to about 1/2 of full flow.

I thought maybe I had something stuck in the water line at the faucet so I took it apart. There was nothing in the line but I did find there is a valve in the hose that goes to the faucet output (hand wand). I am assuming this is an anti siphon valve.

There was another new Montana in the campground and they are having the same problem. Is this common and is there a simple fix?

Blord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Sorry I am unable to help you on this as I have never experienced this problem, nor do I remember reading about it. Were you on campground water or pump, or ..... both? You may have stumbled upon the problem that you were having with winterizing. It may be related. I do remember reading something about the check valves in the fittings, in the convenience center. Might search for that.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I usually turn onn the taps on one at a time untill all the air is out of the system. I find if I open the tap slowly I do not end up with water all over the counter. Hope this helps and seems more common going over hills and mountain passes.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
When we travel the faucet twists around and ends up kinking the waterline. I try to put something in the sink to keep the faucet from turning. If it does kink, we just twist the faucet in circular motion and we have water again.Can't remember which way if it is clockwise or counter clockwise. You can look underneath the sink and see if you are turning it the right direction to unkink the water line. Somehow it gets kinked when traveling.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blord

I just came back from a 2000 miles jaunt in a new 3500RL. I had problems with the kitchen faucet either air locking or pressure locking. If I turned the faucet on too quickly -OR- on full the system would start thumping, the water from the faucet turned on/off, and then it would lock up so there was no water at all. To get water flowing again I had to turn off the water supply and open another faucet to remove the pressure. Then I could use the kitchen faucet up to about 1/2 of full flow.

I thought maybe I had something stuck in the water line at the faucet so I took it apart. There was nothing in the line but I did find there is a valve in the hose that goes to the faucet output (hand wand). I am assuming this is an anti siphon valve.

There was another new Montana in the campground and they are having the same problem. Is this common and is there a simple fix?
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Blord
Established Member

M.O.C. #7545
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 01RAMer

Were you on campground water or pump, or ..... both? You may have stumbled upon the problem that you were having with winterizing. It may be related. I do remember reading something about the check valves in the fittings, in the convenience center. Might search for that.
It happens either on campground or pump. It isn't the hose "kinking". I really think it has something to do with the check valve that is in the hose to faucet (made by Moen I assume).
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mine does the hammering every now and then, but when I releive the pressure on the water heater at the pop off valve, it seems to help stop the hammeringalong with the purging ot the water system front and rear.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Check to see if it is a Moen faucet, because they have "lifetime guarantees, (I used to sell them), get the model # if at all possible and give them a call, they will either help you fix it or send you a new one---NO Chg!. Good Luck
Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Well, I'll be darned I was reading all these post and the one about the fireplace when Chuck went to the kitchen sink to fill the dogs water dish. He wasn't gently with the faucet, turned it on fast and guess what?????? No water I couldn't believe it.
I have had problems with pressure and the faucet is awful loud, but this is a first.
Hey, don't report any more problems until we get home tomorrow Already worried sick about the tires making it. Got one we're watching closely now.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Blord
Established Member

M.O.C. #7545
I went onto Moen's website last night and left a message for their "technical" department. Today they called me ... phenomenal experience the lady didn't have an Indian accent. She was knowledgable and a pleasure to talk to! I guess I'm getting old and cynical!

Anyway, the faucet model in the 07 Montanas is the Extensa. If you go on their website and look at the pictures of their faucet it would appear that we have the model 87315 Series however this is incorrect. They redesigned the head of the Extensa so that the new ones have 2 buttons to select between spray and stream. The chrome hose and the check valve in the end of the hose identifies the model as the Extensa.

She said that there were two check valves in the system. One is located in the head itself and the other is located at the opposite end of the hose that ties into the main faucet feed. The purpose of those check valves is to keep debris out of the head. Both of them just "push" into the hose/wand and can be removed with a flat bladed screwdriver, paper clip, or long nose pliers.

She suggested that when the problem is happening to remove the wand and see if the problem continues. If so then the check valve in the end of the hose is bad or not working properly. If the problem goes away then remove the check valve in the wand and give it a try. It should then work. Once you determine which check valve isn't working properly then you can remove it and give the a call or email and they will send you a new one.

Unfortunately, I won't be using the RV again until we head out for 4 months right after Christmas but her troubleshooting method is logical. If you go onto the Moen website you can get an exploded view parts diagram that shows the 2 check valves.