Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Adding GPS

Am considering adding the GPS unit available through Dodge to my 2005 Ram 3500. We had a Hertz rental car in Florida recently with the "Never Lost" system and it was amazing. We zipped around Orlando like it was our hometown. Does anyone have experience with or advice about the GPS available from Dodge dealers? Are there alternatives (Garmin???) that are preferable?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Koalityman
Established Member

M.O.C. #4872
Hello Bill,

There are many GPS units out there, but I can only recommend what I have used for over 2 years.

I have a IQUE 3600 Garmin (http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/).

It not only has GPS downloadable maps from Mapquest but I also use all the Palm features such as Addresses, Appointments, Memos, Excel speadsheets and Word documents, etc. using a program called DataViz (http://www.dataviz.com/).

I have a SD 2 Gig memory card that plugs in so I can store all the cities in the entire United States and Canada onboard. It identifies local intertests, National and State Parks, and many other points of interest. You can purchase additional maps from Mapquest that cover other continents and even boating navigation.

The truly greatest featrure is it's portability as I use it in each of my vehicles. I even used it on a Cruise to plot the locations 25 miles offshore.

I'm not a dealer or represtative of Garmin, but they have a great product.
Koalityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There are several good ones out there, none seem perfect, but Street Atlas and Microsoft Streets and Trips are two commonly used ones.

I have S&T. It is probably the cheapest to get going if you already have a laptop to use with it. People seem to like it for the large screen, good maps of all of US and Canada, and route planning ability. Some people use it without GPS just for route planning.

Others will no doubt contribute their own experiences, but there is no doubt that GPS is a very useful tool for anyone who has to travel in strange territiory. You may drive off your intended route, but you will never be lost.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have a Garmin Model 2610 that I use every day and would not be without
I think I have seen them for around $400.00 I paid like $800.00 2 and 1/2 years ago. This a portable unit that I can move to my other two vehicles
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Many thanks for everyone's comments. I have a small, hand-held Magellan that we use when off-roading in our Jeep. It works great for plotting and sharing co-ordinates for trails through the woods, etc. ... but not what I want or need for the Dodge 3500. I have checked out several different sellers and brands ... but at the moment it appears that the unit sold by Dodge is the best for our purposes. The mounting base is designed specifically for the Dodge Ram dash board; the screen is small enough to be unobtrusive but big enough to be easily visible; and it provides verbal directions for turns, exits, etc. so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to get visual directions from the screen. It is warrantied by DC and will be installed by my Dodge dealer who will sell it to me for the "dealer price". I suspect there are less expensive alternatives that would work as well but, if possible, I prefer to have everything related to my truck be the responsibility of my dealer ... with whom I have been doing business for over 25 years.

Thanks again for all the comments. As we start prowling around parts of North America that we have never seen before, hauling 40 feet and 7 tons of Montana 3400 behind us, I am sure this will be an investment we are happy we made.

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have a factory GPS in both my wifes car and my Tahoe and I prefer the Garmin 2610 over either one of the others. The Garmin has more features and is easier to program. Just my opinion.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
And we love the Tom-Tom. Got him at Best Buy and have become best friends.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Has anyone tried the new Google Earth program? I have it downloaded on my laptop - the free version. The GPS version requires the "Plus" version for $20/yr. The program itself is pretty mind boggling - 3D through the mountains - anywhere on earth! Some cities have 3D buildings. You will play with this for hours. Has a great mapping and routing program in the "free" version.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Forgot... you need high speed internet for the free version. Not sure how they would work the GPS on the road...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
There are a lot of good choices available. Basically, decide if you want to use a laptop or not in your car and then go from there. I have used a Garmin Street Pilot III for about 4 years and am getting ready to upgrade (I don't know why as mine still works great) to a new Garmin 2620 which eliminates any PC interaction to down load the street city maps. This version has a hard drive in it and contains all the US and Canada city maps stored on the hard drive.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:34 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have microsoft streets and trips for my laptop.I purchased off e-bay, it has a different sat, locator.I purchased a lap top mount ,also off e-bay.I also have the little gadget that plugs into the laptop and into the cassette port on my truck radio to amplify my laptop sound.I saved big buck buying off e-bay . Cheaper prices,no sales tax,just shipping.It is a good setup but I have had some wrong direction,left instad of right, and a new highway extension that was not on the program.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use the Delorme Street Atlas. One feature I like is the ability to add "LOW BRIDGES" on the routes. This makes it easier planning trips through towns and the country. Nothing like turning around or backing out of a tight situation.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill,
I have neverlost on my company cell phone with Nextell. It does a pretty good job overall! Just got an '07 Chevy Tahoe last week with the nav. system, I have my Duramax with me down here in California, once I get home I am going to compare the Chevy nav system vs. the Nextell and see which does a better job.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #14
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
WE USE THE GARMIN 340..IN OUR TV. It has voice announcements and NAMES the street, you need to turn on.. Very good allow's me to keep my eyes on the road.. Mounts nicely just below the rearview mirror in my 3500 Dodge.. DW. love's it, she is bad with directions and with this unit also nameing the street she needs to turn on... She love's it.. Swipe;s it from the TV and has found EVERY GARAGE SALE in town with no problem DARN
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just an fyi for those using Streets and Trips and Street Atlas -- the low clearance file for both of those is located at http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm . There are many other files, too, not just low clearance. I visit this place regularly to keep mine uptodate. I use these on both SA and S&T.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote