Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
“soft ride” pin box or “soft ride” hitch

As I have been looking for my first 5th wheel I have heard about using a “soft ride” pin box or “soft ride” hitch. Some use air bags others use shocks and some use other technology.

Can I get some opinions on which is best a “soft ride” pin box or “soft ride” hitch and why? Which method of achieving the soft ride is better? Does anyone use both a “soft ride” pin box and “soft ride” hitch? Why or why not?

Thanks

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
BirdingRVer,
I had the same questions, I am a first time 5th Wheeler myself. After speaking to many people and reading about it, I elected to go with the Husky Airbox, it is said to take the jolt, and offer better control as well as ride.
I got the EZ Roller slide as I have a short bed in my Ford.
I have the dual air bags, Firestone, I think. I asked about the shock and bag on the goose neck, and opted to go with the Airbox.
You will get many different opinions, which is good, based on area availability of any brand name, as well as which one the selling dealer stocks.
I will let you know in a Month or Two how it works for me.
Good luck.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I have the DEMCO Glideride. It improved ride about 40%. Basically it eliminated most of the jerkiness from fore and aft motion and changed it to a mushy feeling instead of a slamming.

Just google glide ride by demco to find.

Gin & I(Geminis)
Where ever we go, there we are.
2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Montana 3400RL
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have a TRAILER SAVER hitch. The reason I purchased this hitch was because of a few positive things.

It is made by HENSLEY

If you get a pin box ,which there are several good ones out there but they fit the pin box that they replace. If you check different pin boxes take different air pin boxes and if you trade campers the pin box that you have probably won't fit your new camper.

With the air hitch you can trade TV and move the air hitch from one to the other. It's just like moving your fifth wheel hitch.

I just use the air hitch and that seems enough of soft ride, using both I would like to see the answer to that. I realize that the air hitch cost's more when buying ,but in the long run ,it might be less expensive. there will be more comments on this for sure.

Mickey,Mary and Wilson[the westie]2006 3475 5th wheel 2000 f350 crew cab dually diesel
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you don't already have a hitch then I would defintely spend the money on an air hitch rather than a pin box. As Mickey pointed out, that way no matter what fifth wheel you have you will still have the air ride.

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If we knew THEN, what we know NOW, we would have purchased a air hitch for the reasons stated by others.

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We had a trailair pinbox on our 3295. Now have Moryde pin box on the Cambridge. We are very satisfied with the Moryde. At this point we have about 11,000 miles of towing with the Moryde.

Dave and Victoria
Half Time Full Timers or is that just half full 0f it?-- whatever!

'06 GMC3500 DRW CC 4x4 Duramax/Allison Bubba Truck
Pulling Cambridge 358
Sharing with a Yorkie (Dude) and a Schipperke (Dharma)
Click here to read a detailed report on our Cambridge
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

If we knew THEN, what we know NOW, we would have purchased a air hitch for the reasons stated by others.
Having done my "homework", I opted for the EasyRider Air-suspension Hitch [effectively a standard 20K/25K hitch with twin air-support columns] from the get/go.

While I'm quite fond of my EasyRider {http://www.easyriderhitch.com}, the Mountain Master also has its followers.

Neither is cheap, but I believe that mine has saved me more than it cost. [Lots of very rough roads and no breakage.]

The difference in ride quality - for both the truck and the trailer - is tremendous.
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think it all depends on how deep your pockets are. I have the Trailer Saver hitch by Hensley Mfg. I wouldn't have anything else. It goes with me when I trade trucks whereas with something that fits the king pin, it may not fit the new rig you get. Do a lot of research. Don't just take anyone's word for what is best.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote