Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Balance aluminum wheels...

After reading all the comments in the past about lug hole balance vs center hole balance I was convinced that lug balance was the way to go. That is until today.

I can understand why you would balance steel wheels using the lug holes but are aluminum wheels not machined 100% so a center balance should work fine for them? Sounds good to me but lets see what others have to say.
Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dick, I found this quote from LonnieB.
Quote:In my opinion it isn't necessary to rotate trailer tires UNLESS you start to notice unusual wear patterns. If an unusual wear pattern is starting, you should have the tires looked at by a tire professional to determine the cause before rotating the tires. Usually there is a mechanical or operator problem causing the unusual wear that will need to be addressed.

Hub-Centric Balancing - This method uses the pilot hole (large center hole) of the wheel. The wheel and tire assembly is placed on the shaft of the balance machine, then a cone shaped device is slid over the shaft into the hole in the wheel and secured by a large wing nut. This centers the assembly on the machine IF the pilot hole is the true center of the wheel. This method is the most commonly used and is accurate most of the time.

Lug-Centric Balancing - This method uses the stud holes of the wheel. A special adapter plate with adjustable threaded studs is mounted on the balance machine. The tire and wheel assembly is mounted to the adapter plate with lug nuts. This method is unquestionably the best and in some cases the ONLY way to get the assembly centered on the machine. This method is very time consuming so it isn't used much unless requested by the customer or the pilot hole in the wheel is off center.

Dick,when I had my Goodyear G614's Mounted and balanced they use a Centric Adapter to balance them. This was from Discount Tires! Keep in mind,I had to ask for that type of balance.
Jack
P.S. Give CC a pat for us!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Dick,
Most alloy wheels will balance just fine using the hub-centric method, however I have found some with the pilot hole off center a bit requiring the lug-centric method. The only way to know for sure is to mount them on the machine and see if there is any vertical movement while they are spinning.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For the trailer I used the hub-centric method. Balancing any tire is critical to good mileage and over the years I have found that hub-centric, while maybe not 100%, is good enough.
Regardless Hub-Centric or Lug-Centric it is always in your best interest to check your tires for abnormal wear regularly as wheels weights have been known to fall off.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote