Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Superchip for Diesel

I know this thread has been up many times but I just purchased a tuner from Superchip for my 7.3 liter 2000 Ford Diesel. Easy install to say the least. Several modes that can be used also. I was not in the towing mode as of yet, so I went with the mileage MS mode. I lost 1 mpg instead of a gain. This is really no biggie as I bought this more for power and torque. I will say the shifting is more positive, the truck seems to run smoother etc. I now have the tow heavy mode put into the truck and will be hooking up to the fiver tomorrow to start making the trek back to MI. for the summer. Hoping the Superchip performs better in this mode.

Anyone out there using the superchip that can testify as to if its a good thing or not?

Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have basically the same truck as you and have the 1705 Superchips tuner which is the older version of the Flashpac. It's been a good tuner for several years. According to a tech at Superchips, the 1705 is the same except the Flashpac is internet updatable and has data logging features. I've always towed in the lowest setting what is labeled as the "tow safe" mode. There is a power increase as well as a few more pounds of boost pressure. I didn't see any fuel milage change as I get 10 - 11 towing and 18 - 20 solo. I have tried the other 2 higher settings, but just as an amusement to blow black smoke out the exhaust. I think you'll find once you settle in to using the truck with the tune installed, your milage may come back. Everyone has a tendancy to keep "trying out the power" at first which uses more fuel.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I agree. On my 01 Ford I had a lot of trouble keeping my foot out of it when I first installed in the tuner. After a few weeks I finally settled down and over a period of 6 months I saw a 8% increase in fuel economy. I am using a different tuner but I run it in the tow/economy setting and it is still more power than the stock Ford setting.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
On my 7.3 1996 PSD I had the Banks chip and if I could keep my lead foot tamed I would get about 2 mpg over the truck without the chip.
I hear the newer trucks 2010 and later have a tattletail in the computer if the dealer wants to check deeper into the history of the vehicle if warintee issues might come up. I had everything Banks made for my old truck and spent thousands doing it and it was not like the newer morors now, I dont need to chip this new truck just hook-up and drive.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Ran a superchip for years, just changed it to a DP Tuner. Have owned my 1999 7.3 since new. Superchip did an ok job, but nothing like the custom tunes, and there are several out there. I wished that I would have known about the tuners before I bought the Superchip. If interested I can give you more info. My truck performance is much better with the DP, towing is much improved. I did not see where anyone mentioned gauges, if you don't have them, they are a must with these tuners, & chips. You need to monitor your ETG's, especially when towing. I have three gauges Pyrometer( ETG's ) transmission temp., and Boost.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
summers
Established Member

M.O.C. #11018
champ49, I use to have the super chip, I agree with psford99. You need gauges namely a pyrometer to monitor your exhaust gas temps. The super chip gives great power performance but it also increases the egt's greatly, without the gauge you wont know when to back out of the throttle and you stand a real chance of burning up your turbo. I would suggest you get the gauge before using the tuner especially before using it and towing your trailer. I try not to let my egt's get above 1250 degrees. Also install the probe pre turbo to give you a true reading because as I found, post turbo is around 300 degrees cooler at least. Good luck.
summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I have Edge A2 with Juice, you can set on the fly and change power level from 0 (stock) to Level 5 (but trans won't last long). Level 2 is recommend for towing. Juice will automatically defuel if EGT gets to high, also can be programmed to defuel in WOT for shifts. You can also set how much smoke you want at each level... I have it set to no smoke. The A2 (no longer made), has engine gauges, GPS, and backup camera all in one unit. The current models just have engine and backup camera. If you just want engine gauges, that is avalible to.

My A2 started having problems about a month ago, so I disconnected everything. I found I really miss the engine gauges, and mileage drop about .5 MPG, so this past weekend hooked it backup, and found a the power wire where it hooked into the fuse was not making good contact... All is working again.

As others have side, shifting is much better with the turner. Can't say as MPG changed much empty, but towing it is about .5 MPG better.

Also noticed MPG has dropped from 17.5 MPG empty to around 14 MPG empty, since Ultra Low Sulphur fuel. I have tried additives, but no change. Towing I run around 9.5 to 10.5 MPG with Avg since 11/25/2010 at 10.8 MPG (80% of time towing).
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I have the 1801 superchip just down loaded all the readouts for the engine gauges. I didn't have any decrease in mpg on my 1st engine but did see quicker responce on proformance and shifting which I see as a positive for trans life. I just put it back in due to Fords 2 yr warranty expires in May on my new 6.0L engine. Of the gauges which ones are most important to have. I also just upgraded my GPS w/ Bluetooth and have more gauges to choose from any recommendations will be helpfull? Thanks Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ragdoll

I have the 1801 superchip just down loaded all the readouts for the engine gauges. I didn't have any decrease in mpg on my 1st engine but did see quicker responce on proformance and shifting which I see as a positive for trans life. I just put it back in due to Fords 2 yr warranty expires in May on my new 6.0L engine. Of the gauges which ones are most important to have. I also just upgraded my GPS w/ Bluetooth and have more gauges to choose from any recommendations will be helpfull? Thanks Jack
I can't speak for the 6.0, but the 7.3 IMHO with any tuning at all a pyrometer gauge to monitor exhaust gas temperatures is a must, along with a good transmission gauge. The 7.3 can run 1200 degrees all day ,but anything over 1250 you can burn a turbo, stand a chance of burning a piston, not good.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Jack
A set of gages gages can tell you much more than an individual gage can tell you. For example engine oil and coolant temperature should be within a few degrees of each other. If they start being off 5,6,8 degrees you may have a problem with the oil cooler or coolant could be getting in your oil. Transmission slip is useful to monitor it's health. Turbo boost too much is bad for heads too little you have a leak or the turbo is going bad.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
UPDATE

I tried the superchip towing today. Towing about 17,000lbs. So I'm right up there. Got on some long grades going up today and worked the truck pretty well. Right after I got done with them long grades we pulled into a CG for the night and when I got out I smelled a pretty warm engine, water temp was fine. The smell of hot exhaust I am sure. To say the least after I got setup for the evening I started looking into things and got worried enough that I took the tuner out and put it back to stock. Mainly because I have no gages and don't want to rely on my nose lol..........I need the gages before I go any further with this setup. As you all have stated, gages are a must.

Heading home so I can get it taken care of back in MI. Can use some buddies shops and get busy, seeings though I now live the lifestyle of fulltiming and have no shop. Tough price to pay huh? lol

Thanks for all the heads up guys, much appreciated.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Thanks for the info guys but I thought (don't know for sure) that engine oil ran hotter than water temp? I will keep note of everything till I obtain more knowledge on the gauges.Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #13
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
On my 6.0 I ran a Scanguage it gave both engine coolant and engine oil readouts. The engine oil typically ran 6 to 8 degrees hotter than the coolant.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
summers
Established Member

M.O.C. #11018
champ49, now that you know about the gauges (pyro, transmission & boost) some of the other things you might consider are a different air intake system to allow more air to the turbo. I have the tymar system with a donaldson filter, if your interested in seeing it one place is www.beansdieselperformance.com Another thing is a larger turbo shroud compressor housing for your turbo. When you increase the power it increases the chance of compressor surge so the housing will change from a 3" turbo intake to a 4" intake to get more air into the turbo. I also have a 4" turbo back exhaust. All three of these will also help with the exhaust gas temps. Hope this helps, Mark
summers is offline   Reply With Quote