Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2003, 05:28 AM   #1
Montana_35
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #35
Slideout hydraulic fluid

I recently noticed that the fluid level of the reservior in my slide out on my new Montana(3 months old)was only half full with the slides fully retracted. Had always had a problem with them stopping about the time the living room slide got half way in or out. So I decided to read the book on fluid levels. It states that the fluid level is supposed to be 1/2 inch from the top and to use Type A transmission fluid to keep at this level. The fluid in my pump was a light brown and clear in color and I knew from past experience with hydraulics that you are not supposed to mix different types of fluids or so the manufacturers have always told me. Since I knew that ATF was red in color and so must be different from what was in my pump, I called Lippert (manufacturer of pump) and here is what they e-mailed back:

Dear Sir,
I have checked into the Hydraulic Fluid change that you have requested. And
I have found that we are not suppose to mix the two, Red and Clear,
hydraulic fluids together. I was also told that we can use any type of
transmission fluid (Type F,Dextron II,Dextron III) or 10 weight,
non-foaming, non-detergent hydraulic fluid.
If you have anymore questions, please feel free to call Pamela Dingman. She
is our Technical Service Representative.
Call (574)642-9953

Brad Hartpence
Lippert Components Quality Control Manager

This answer confirmed what I knew about mixing red and clear but since the system was half full of the clear stuff I needed to find a fluid to use that was clear or would have to completely drain and purge the reservior and lines before filling to the proper level. Since that sounded like more work than I wanted to do. I called a past associate in the hydraulic business and got a reccomendation for a 10W/20 weight clear hydraulic fluid. He said to go to Sam's and buy the Heavy Duty hydraulic and transmission fluid manuf. by Certified. I checked and it is the proper viscosity and since I have a tractor with a front end loader, I bought a 5 gal. bucket and filled the reservior. Checked the operation of the slides and they worked perfectly. If you look closely you can see (if you haven't added red fluid already) that there is a pickup tube in the bottom of the reservior and when you extend the slides and the reservior level gets low enough...the pump will cavitate (potentially dangerous for the health of your pump) and lose suction. Thus the slide stops. I am going on a trip next week and will get to test them more but from what I observed this seems to be a logical cure to my problem. This is too lengthy but thought someone might be having the same problem and maybe this will help them also.
Since the fluid I found only comes in a 5 gal. container at Sam's you will have to find another source unless you have a tractor that uses the same fluid. Perhaps a hydraulic fluid supplier would have it in quart bottles.
See ya down the Road,

Virgil Mayes
02 F250 SB Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Lariat
03 Montana 3280RL
Cut N Shoot, Texas (Conroe area)
http://people.txucom.net/fantasti/index.html

Edited by - Cut N Shoot on 04/13/2003 11:30:26 AM

Montana_35 is offline   Reply With Quote