Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Install/Wiring for Fantastic Fan

Hi all,

I have an existing, manual open roof vent in the center of the RV. Of course it is 8 feet high so noone can reach it (???). I want to replace it with the Model 6600 remote actuated fantastic fan.

My question is with the wiring. There are 12vdc lights nearby, but they are switch activated. I don't want to have to turn on the lights to turn on the fan. Can anyone tell me how to run wire to this fan? I don't know which way the "ribs" in the rv run, so I'm not sure how to "snake" a wire to the fan. I really hate to start tearing into the ceiling without knowing what I'm getting into.

Thanks in advance.

bob

P.S. One mod I did lately is we have a coat cabinet as you walk into the rv. Since we try never to need a coat (if we do we will keep them in the closet, I converted this into a wine/liquor cabinet. Two rows, 4 holes each. This will be so nice when we move the rv. We won't have to worry about the bottles rolling around anymore.

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Hi Bob,
I have done extensive snaking of wire through the roof of my rig. I went to home depot and bought a fiberglass (very thin) 6 foot snake. I then unscrewed all the ceiling lights, vent trim and anything else that had access to the ceiling between the points i wanted to get wire to. The roof rafters run fron street side to curb side and have a lot of holes stamped in them so snaking is very easy. Starting from where you want to end up tape the wire to the snake then push the snake into the nearest hole and pull it out the the next nearest hole (you may have to wiggle the snake or try different angles). Just keep up the procedure until you are over to the place where you want to end up and the wire is there. With a little practice you'll be amaized at how easy it is. Good luck and if you have any questions please ask.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Thanks John. I'll give it a try.

bob
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
I got it done. Tapped into a light we don't use. Total job took about 1 hour - super easy!!

Thanks to all.
bob
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Outstanding! Knew you could do it.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote