Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Had to move the audio unit in the cabinet

When we first picked up our 3500RL in 2006 we found that when listening to DVDs with the provided player/FM/AM audio unit that we had to keep the frosted glass cabinet doors fully open in order for the remote to work anywhere in the living room. The cabinet above the living room's entertainment unit had double door framing that closed right at where the "eye" for the remote control would be aimed. It looked plain stupid to have these cabinet doors open just to watch a DVD or change the volume of the radio.

With the cabinet doors open, I undid the velco that held the audio component in place and removed the four screws that held down the plastic base the component sat on. I then moved it over and forward enough so the "eye" was exposed through the frosted glass then screwed the base back down.

Now I can watch DVDs, change radio stations, change volume and keep the doors closed making things looked nice and neat from anywhere in the living room without raising my arm to clear the shelves. I also put the satellite receiver on top of the audio component and there's enough Velcro to keep both units secure when I travel and the receiver remote can be seen through the glass, too. I can sit in my easy chair, remote at the hip and change things to my heart's delight until my wife gets in the way to sneak in a kiss or two.

Why couldn't they figure out this simple adjustment at the factory?

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Art,
1--The people that build the trailers aren't the people who use them.
2--The sense of craftsmenship rarely exists anymore (am I showing my age?).
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I leave mine open because I havent found a new place for the big bass speaker yet.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good point. I forgot to mention when the doors were open and the components and wiring were shown the black (ugly) box subwoofer was visible, too.

Now that you mention it, being able to move the bass box would make it better to hear. It's bad enough that the chintzy (sp?) tinny speakers don't sound all that great as surround speakers, but with a little more bass being heard might help. And I don't necessarily want to crank up the volume.

NCFischers - y'all ain't that old, cuz I have the same sentiments and I hope you don't think I am old. You are wise, that's what you are. Wiser and more experienced. lol.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Don't you need to keep the doors open so the air circulates? Otherwise I would think everything would get to hot in there.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
I had the same problem with my 2006. It also came with a 25inch RCA CRT TV. As we move to the new HD TV change over, I decided to remove the RCA and install a LCD TV. Since these TVs are smaller, I was able to move the DVD/Home Int. unit up to the TV Box. I added a shelve with a pull our drawer for the LCD to pull out, storage for DVD and CD's are now in the pull out. Since the DVD player has been moved up all remotes work with out opening doors. Also the wife now has another cabinet to load stuff. Total cost not counting the LCD TV was under a $100.

LEMO
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 AM   #7
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Doesn't it get to warm in the cupboard with the doors closed and all the heat from the units not being able to go anywhere?
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
cmawendy, I leave my doors open and even bought a 4 inch computer fan to exhaust the hot air. Hooked it to the switched plug on our Yamaha Amp, when the amp goes on, so does the fan...It does get quite hot in there. Keystone would do well to install an exhaust fan in there also.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Very poorly designed. Had to move my units also to get the remote to work. Put a Wally World fan inside also.

I blew out 3 of the oem 4000 DVD/amp units, even trying heat control. I am convinced they went out due to the heat. I also have my Dish DVR in there. I have put 2" spacers between all three units (also Blu-Ray DVD) so air can circulate.

Also thinking of trying to put a hole and louvered dryer vent out the side of that slide - I have a 3400 - if the outside is flat enough to make in past the seals when I pull in the slide. You actually have quite a bit of leeway coming through those seals. I would then put a small fan in the hole to vent outward and activate the louvers. Just another project on my wish list...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Susantr
Established Member

M.O.C. #6813
So, how do you get that glass-screen CRT out of the cabinet? We have a 2007 rear kitchen Mountaineer, and DH is going to try to put a digital converter box on it so we can get reception again.
Susantr is offline   Reply With Quote