Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Stained Glass

Exav8tr gave me a link for stained glass from a small business and I found the perfect glass piece. http://www.rvstainedglass.com/ I've been talking about one for a long time but I get busy in the summer and forgetful in the winter. The pics from David and Jo-Anna in Quartzite reminded me.

For those that have installed them:
  • The vendors offer a plexiglass panel for the outside at extra cost - does this panel distract from the appearance on the outside or does it yellow, fog, scratch easy?
  • Does the glass handle door slams pretty well? I can be cautious but I also have kids.
I picked the Palm Trees - a small compromise for the 12-ft lighted ones my wife didn't get me for Christmas

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Cool site Brad, and Exav8tr.

There are 3 different palm trees there Brad, I didn't see any native to Colorado though . Which one did you choose?

Very nice work, and I noticed they will do custom designs as well.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We bought ours in Mexico the end of December 2005 and it is as beautiful today as when we bought it. Of course the cost was a lot less. We paid $60.00 and the only reason it was that high was because be bought one with a lot of beveled glass. We have never had to have a protective cover over it and I don't think that I would want it. Right now, when the sun shines through the window, it just glistens. I would be afraid of losing that look with plexiglass on it.

We did save our old glass and we will be taking our stained glass to the new Big Sky when it comes in.

We don't have a lot of door slamming in our unit but I can only tell you that it appears to be just as child proof as the original.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours was a custom design. The lady we bought it from takes her grandchildren camping a lot and she assured us it was child slam proof. I believe ours is installed better than the original as we did not have much goop to remove. We have traveled thousands of miles with ours and it is still there and as brillant as ever. I don't see the need for a protective cover. JMHO
Happy Trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Brad, I don't think the plexiglass cover is needed. Slamming the door could be a problem. We do have one small crack in ours, not noticeable unless you are looking for it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks for the replies all - I think I'll go without the Plexiglas.

Lonnie,
Palm Tree 1 is the one I picked. I figure I can see Colorado trees out of all the other windows, so palm trees would take me to a place I'm not! I do want to chat with them about custom first.

Actually its been a running joke with our clan. Ever since we saw a pontoon boat rippin down the channel with 4 lighted palm trees tied into the corners and this loud music playing while everybody was dancing in grass skirts on the deck (this was in New Mexico by the way - Navajo), we decided to incorporate palm trees into recreational activities, including the palm tree decal on top of the Margaritaville Machine!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Brad & Dory, great pick for your door--Palm Tree #1. Naturally, while looking at all the other choices, I saw 2 or 5 or 10 I liked for our door (in addition to your palm tree, which might look a bit odd--or cheerful--up here Montana). I need to get up and walk away from the computer before I do something on the spur of the moment!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Pontoon boat, loud music, girls in grass skirts, and lighted palm trees? In New Mexico??? Sounds like one of my family reunions .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We replaced our window with tempered glass
https://secure.onedayglass.com/index.php

and then used a window film

http://www.etchedglassdecal.com/eo/e...category?id=35

It looks like etched glass and is a lot cheaper. We are from Alaska, so chose a brown bear for our door window. It was easy to apply and is supposed to last when applied on the inside of the window. I am happy with my new window. We had our Montana window broken into by vandals, while in a secured storage in Idaho, so had to replace it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Exav8tr gave me a link for stained glass from a small business and I found the perfect glass piece. http://www.rvstainedglass.com/ I've been talking about one for a long time but I get busy in the summer and forgetful in the winter. The pics from David and Jo-Anna in Quartzite reminded me.

For those that have installed them:
  • The vendors offer a plexiglass panel for the outside at extra cost - does this panel distract from the appearance on the outside or does it yellow, fog, scratch easy?
  • Does the glass handle door slams pretty well? I can be cautious but I also have kids.
I picked the Palm Trees - a small compromise for the 12-ft lighted ones my wife didn't get me for Christmas
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
being we are in florida we chose a peliquin at the tampa rv show and it was covered with plexeglass but a bit more than $60.00 , but we love it and its in , so be it , the colors are great with the rest of the montana.. we see palm trees every day so its no big deal to see more palm trees , but who will have a peliquin at the mich show in late augest but sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, is a peliquin a kin to a seequin or just another spelling for pelican??? Trying to visualize what you bought....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,

We were in Algodones, MX yesterday and the Quartzsite MOC group bought 5 windows, most were $40. Didn't see any palm trees, but there were eagles, lighthouses, hummingbirds, and several with just pretty colored glass.

We've had one of these "cheap" windows in our 5er for 2 years with some pretty hard door slams, no problems yet. If it should break, we'd just go buy another one. My guess would be that those on the website are a much better quality.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Hey Robbie,
Don't forget the Pink Flamingo we got for $38. I agree that the ones online are probably better quality but our old one came from Algodones 2 years ago and is doing fine and still looks good.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
O.K Charlie, we need to see a picture of the newest flamingo in your collection. I have never seen one in a window before.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We got this one in Algodones, Mexico, thanks to Joy taking us down there to find it. $43. It is leaded on both sides. The state flower of our former home state. It's been in there for about 14 months or so.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote