Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Tow Vehicle Problem

About a week ago I pulled the Monty to Greenbo Lake. After about twenty miles or so the engine light came on and I started noticing a very bad miss in the engine. I made it to the camp ground ok. With it being the weekend I wasn't able to have it checked out as I would like to have done. The miss and engine light stayed on the rest of the weekend and I was able to get the camper home with out a problem but the miss and light was still there.

On Sunday after getting back home I went to an Auto Parts store and they told me it was showing the #2 injector and the sensor. This same injector was changed in June after the trip to Gettysburg and the truck had been running fine. They re-set the code and it immediately came back on. On Monday I took it to my regular mechanic and paid for the diagnostic with the same codes showing up. However, they told me they had removed something and put it back in place but didn't change anything. They couldn’t detect any miss in the engine either. Upon doing this they reset the code and it has remained out and I haven't noticed any miss anymore.

I said all of that to say this...Could I be experiencing a breakdown on an individual coil when pulling the Monty which will only show up during a load on the truck? Any suggestions as to what might be going on here or what should be done to avoid a major breakdown are welcome. We are getting close to the Virginia rally and I don't want to experience any trouble on the trip if I can avoid it ahead of time. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds to me like you need to convince Donna that you are really in need of a nice new shiny Diesel????? BTW, slept in the new house last night, only moved the beds so far (PHEWWWW), will invite you all down for a day on a weekend that we are both free!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Hey that sounds like things are coming along pretty good. How was your vacation?

On Edit: I don't think Donna is willing to make the payments!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Vacation was great, weather was great, and a great (read restfull) time was had. Good to be back, even though we have a ton of stuff to do. Looking forward to Va rally and Greenbo as well!!
Bingo
Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Concerning the problem I've had with the truck, I'm thinking that I should pull the Monty for a ways on a test drive to see if the problem returns.

I'm still open for suggestions!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
I believe I would change the fuel filter, put about two of the small bottles of fuel injector cleaner in with a full tank, run it a while, then do the test pull. Sounds like a clogged injector that can be more noticeable under load. I have had success with this method when I have bought bad gas (dirty) in the past for our gas vehicles. Did you purchase gas somewhere that is not your normal place or were they filling the U/G tanks when you gassed up?? Just thinking out loud.....
Bingo
Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
Listening to your symptoms, I would almost lean to a lose, or corroded Wiring harness or connector to the injectors them selfs. If the code reader is showing a # 2 injector failure, and your mech removed the harness to inspect the injector and replaced it, he may have remedied your problem. I would suggest is that if the problem reoccurs to replace the harness.
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I took the trailer for a pull this morning and went about 20 miles before heading back home. I went as far on the same route as when I developed the original problem and today I didn’t have any problem showing up.

Before I had the problem I pumped gas at a speedway where they use ethanol in their gas. I pumped gas twice, before I had this problem. I have run a can of Sea Foam through the present tank of gas as Bingo suggested for an injector cleaner. I’m also not using the ethanol gas station and I’m using BP premium gas for the octane, which I mostly used anyway. Whatever the culprit was it seems to be ok now. Hopefully it won’t show itself on our trip to Staunton, VA.