Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A few thoughts on my truckee

I was driving across town a couple of days ago to change out a 2 HP. fan motor for a 30 year customer of mine, (an Antique mall.)
As I was driving to the job, I looked around the cab of the truck and smiled, it is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned, it's quiet, luxurious as any top-of-the line car, and has any option a man could want. I really feel lucky to be able to own it, and love it dearly.
I have had a good number of new trucks, running a service business and all, but I have never been as happy with one as this one. I had 5 new Chevy's and three new Fords. The Chevy's were great, and the other Fords great as well, but this one stands out in my mind for many reasons.
The darn thing sucks fuel like crazy, that part I don't like much at all, it takes me a few turns 'jockeying' to get straight in a parking space, but that is because the painting crews don't mark the spots for big trucks, probably average size cars, I imagine.
I don't mind parking way out and walking a ways, usually I park next to a curb, or end spot and hug the passenger side. My electric folding mirrors keep people from running into them, which is nice.
I drive the speed limit, which drives many drivers crazy, they don't like to be behind a big truck, I guess, but they will have to deal with it, doesn't bother me anymore. I used to get mad when they tailgate me, and slow way down, but I finally figured out that was childish, and stopped being fun after a while.....
The one thing I miss is the feeling when I floor it, man it is a head snapper, so much power and torque. I had to make myself visualize a stack of $5.00 bills on the dash, and every time I floored the pedal, they flew out the window....
Now, I visualize a full Styrofoam cup of hot coffee on the dash, if I am gentle on the accelerator, I don't spill the coffee.
Not as much fun, but a Cowboy does what a Cowboy has to do...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Way to go Jim. I love my crew cab long bed King Ranch F350.

The Texas Drivers manual says that if someone is tailgating you, to slow down so they can go around you. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My bumper sticker reads, "I'm Retired! Go Around Me!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good post, Ozz, my feeling exactly.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Ditto! I thought it was only me when docking!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We like our truck also,just like you. Ours is a 2000 but rides great and with the T5 Tuner in there we had plenty of go. I,like you,drive like the is a egg on the go pedal. One position is a 80 hp economy and what I have driven it the mileage seems fine. But when you step on it hold on and I have Not even tried the 120 HP race. Don't want to break parts,cost to much. Hope to see you this year.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I love our King Ranch long-bed F350 Super Duty, too! Up here in Montana, trucks are a way of life, as is 4-wheel drive. Driving and parking our truck is no big deal for either of us. It's our tow vehicle, and it's also our trusted friend for hauling everything from orphaned calves and baling wire to my kayak and groceries.

Three years ago when we back home (meaning Austin, Texas, our native city and state), I parked my Excursion--a big rig, I admit--as far from the entry of a Kohl's store in Austin as humanly possible because I didn't want anyone to ding it. My daughter and I arrived just as the store opened, so the 4 huge parking lots were virtually empty. Still, I parked at the most distant point possible from a side entry to the store. When we left about 30 minutes later, my car was still the only one in that side lot. However, on my windshield someone had left the vilest, ugliest note filled with four letter words telling me what I could do with my car . . . and also telling me that I was guilty of contributing to global warming, holes in the ozone layer, and a variety of other threats to mankind. I looked around to see if the writer was waiting to ambush me, but no one was in sight. I wish he/she had seen me up here in Montana, driving that thing with 4 or 5 grandkids belted in for the ride to town and school, with their backpacks, lunches, school projects, and, between October and May, also with their parkas, snow boots, hats, gloves, and other bulky cold weather gear. I've even taken a lamb in it to one grandson's nursery school show & tell day!

Like Ozz and Waynem and others, we enjoy driving our F-350. It drives like a dream, is roomy and comfortable, and suits our needs for pulling our rig and for living day to day in the boondocks. I feel safe in it, too. (Not sure I'd feel so safe if I parked it in a Kohl's parking lot in Austin . . . )
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
My wife claims to be able to parallel park the dually or at least she has. I don't even try myself; never had the need to I guess. I park away or try and get a place like OZZ describes.

I totally agree with you OZZ about the coffee and the $5 bills. I can certainly resemble that. My thoughts on the truck is I really enjoy driving it as my daily vehicle; I just can’t get over the fact if I was to purchase a new one that it would now cost me way more than what I paid for the home I live in. Something just seems wrong with this picture to me!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Ozz, where are the photos of this brand new spankee truckee, love to see it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I don't drive a Ford, but I Love to drive my Chevy 3500 Silverado. I had much rather drive the Truck than to drive my DW's car. The style fit and finish is awesome in the NBS. I had 4 other GM Trucks since 2005 and the 2008 is so much different I guess the NBS and the upgraded interior is the difference. As for as parking, that has never been a problem. I also don't park next to anyone if I can help it. And don't really care what people think about what I drive. I have owned small car and don't care for them. Thats the great thing about America, we do have a choice. I have also reduced my speed when not towing. When towing I very seldom drove over the speen limit. I drive the Truck as often as I can, but I have a budget and stay within it. When your Retired your income is fixed and things do change, before retirement I really didn't think much about a budget. But things do change, however I will keep a Truck as long as I possibly can, and most likely it will be a DRW, again due to choice. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This big ole truck is not a common sight around here. I have only seen 1 other 08 in town, a 08 SD 250. The Montana is not a common sight..we are the only one around. There are a couple of older dualy's in the city but they are work trucks.I have had folks stop me in parking lots or walk over to admire the truck. Many of our friends call it "the Cadillac" This is the most comfortable truck with the most creature comforts we have ever had. We only use it to pull the 3400 anchor..Both of our F-350 ford's been tow vehicles only. Our earlier trucks were smaller as were our campers but we still stored them during the winter and used them primarily for towing. The dually is a pain to drive around and park but we needed it and we have it. We have a Honda for our daily driver. When we were both working we had 2 Honda's. The MPG in the big truck is not great but the thing weighs 9212 lbs and pulls over 13K. We have the Honda for good MPG.. The trucks is a brute and does the job we purchased it for. We drive the speed limit towing or not. As of late we slowed to 60MPH towing and our MPG improved. Folks can pass if they so desire.This may be our last big truck..but so was the last one. As with Delaine we are retired and on a fixed income.. We do have a budget and must stay within it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Broome, I have had it for a while, here is a picture down in Padre with some of my Wind Toys:
Old 07-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz I agree with you 100%. I have an 08 F250 KIng Ranch. The thing I don't understand is, I still think of myself as a poor little country boy so how could I be riding around in a $50000 truck?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
OK I thought you went and got you another one, maybe a King Ranch as i thought I read about it. Would love to get newer 08 unit but with all the news of poor mileage I have decided to stick with my 2005 F350 KR, she still pulls like a champ. The the best thing about it in 5 more months it's all mine.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
mlh, I was thinking that I built our home for $45,000, this new truck cost so much... but today's economy is such that you either buy, or pass. No one wants to hear about the cost of things 10 or 30 years ago, but we remember these things..
Broome, I had mixed feelings about the '06 we had, and the new '08. The new engine was appealing to me, as I was in contact with an attorney that had over 200 cases (in Missouri) of engine failure on the older engines, I am in flux over the decision to buy the '08. I do love the new truck, but wish the mileage was better.
Well... ya got to dance with the girl you brung.... and she is a looker!
Ozz
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #15
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozz, I assume you aren't anywhere NEAR South Padre at the moment (Wednesday morning). If you are, your pretty truck may have already joined the catagory of "wind toy." I'm sitting here watching a live TV feed from the beach down there, and the waves and wind and blowing objects definitely indicate there's a hurricane in that area.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Carolyn, no we are slaving away here at the house, rehabbing it for our upcoming sale. I just mowed part of the property, belt broke on the mower...it's always something.
Jim Cantori was standing on a dune right next to one of my favorite haunts, Boomerang Billy's. There are so many old buildings and weakened structures there, I am afraid the Island will be a mess for some time. I just heard the power was out to the Island, can you imagine tonight with 80-90 MPH winds and no power? Scary, they closed the Queen Isabella bridge yesterday, I believe, the only way on and off the Island, (besides a boat...no thanks in this weather) I wish all my friends down there well.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Rich,
I am with you. Our truck is only for towing. My daily commute is done in my 1988 Nissan Sentra. 188,000 miles and stile getting ~35MPG!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote